“Pokey bathroom”

Ranked #109 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Brisbane, Australia
“Pokey bathroom”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Great Location close to everything in the city and check in was seamless BUT... the size of the bathroom was terrible. Hand basin across the corner restricted the room and there was nowhere to place any bathroom toiletries. Had to put the toilet lid down as a table. Room was also very small but adequate. I booked a double, it would have been interesting if I had booked a single.
Hallways were narrow and dark. A bit like a Japanese business hotel
Staff were very helpful and that made the stay a bit better.

Room Tip: If you are travelling solo then book a double.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Muruk
Erdi G, Manager at Mercure Welcome Melbourne, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Dear Muruk,

Thank you for your recent patronage and for your time to provide feedback.

Without looking into your booking, I could not tell what room was allocated to you, however we are in the process of refurbishing our bathrooms. They are currently being done in stages. On your next stay with us, I would recommend for you to ask for room with refurbished bathrooms.

Once again thank you for your constructive feedbacks. Greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Alex Mihardja, Operational Project Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Jakarta
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Two thumbs up for its location. We stayed for two nights in a twin sharing room and we were so amazed with the size of the room and even more surprised on the bedding. It's like staying in a kid's room, small room, small bed and small bathroom. The hall way is narrow. It is more like a budget hotel, perhaps a 'Mercure Hotel' wanna be.

Other than that I think everything is fine, we had a warm welcome at the front desk and a quick check in. However, I think the front desk must know how to distinguish Le Club Accor member guest (especially I presented the membership card when checked in) from a non member. This happened when I checked out from the hotel and I was requesting for a payment receipt (as I made a reservation through the Accor website and charges already incurred) and the guy at the front desk mistaken me from making transaction at Agoda.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Erdi G, Manager at Mercure Welcome Melbourne, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Martin W,

Thank you for your constructive review. I am glad that you enjoyed our fantastic location.

Rest assured that I have personally addressed your valid concern regarding the billing to our Front Office Manager for his urgent perusal.

Thank you again and we hope that we can look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to Melbourne.

Kind regards,
Alex Mihardja, Operational Project Manager
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

We stay for two nights on the 12th floor petty quite expect for when then people in the next room used there shower. The room was basic but with everything you need at a good price. We've stayed here many times and will continue to do so as the location and price is good for us.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ben H
Erdi G, General Manager at Mercure Welcome Melbourne, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Hi Ben,
Many thanks for your comments and I'm pleased you continue to enjoy your stays with us when comin to Melbourne. With all the new retails outlets such as Emporium and H&M etc now open, the location is ideal for that leisure/shopping experience plus all of Melbourne's attractions.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Best regards, John Dickson.
Perth
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I stayed at Mercure Welcome Melbourne last month and have stayed here several times previously. I keep returning because I find the hotel very convenient to all things Melbourne - shopping, Queen Victoria Markets, great restaurants and bars, public transport, arenas etc. -and the staff are very friendly. I have to be honest and say that my room looked a little tired and worn out but most importantly the room was clean and comfortable. And for $103/night, I shouldn't really complain. The Cocoon Bar is a relaxing place to enjoy a cocktail and reflect on the day. I found Bartender Annie to be very friendly and an excellent cocktail maker . The Mercure staff were a highlight and great ambassadors for Melbourne. There wasn't anything that the staff did not know about public transport, great shopping precincts, great restaurants etc. I will definitely be staying at the Mercure Welcome again when next visiting Melbourne

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Nicole W
Sincere thanks for your comments from your recent stay with us.
Particuarly those concerning our customer service and our staff as this is something that we feel incredibly strongly about (and I have commended Annie on her cocktails!).
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Kind regards, John Dickson.
Wagga
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed two nights and while the rooms were not big, they were clean well appointed and had everything that you need. The showers were hot and our bathroom had just had a refit .
The beds were comfortable and we slept well each night.
Breakfast was very good with lots of options.
The central location is just great situated next to china town it was very easy to go out for dinner, close to the theatres and all that Melbourne has to offer.
We are returning there in sept as where else in Melbourne can you get a hotel in the CBD which is clean well appointed for only $93 a night.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Greg S
Many thanks for your positive comments and I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us.
I have noted that you're returning in September and we look forward to welcoming you back then.
Best regards, John Dickson.
Canberra, Oz
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I have a love-hate relationship with Accor whether it is a Sofitel or Formula 1 or anything in between. When they are good, they are very good. When they are so-so, they can be extremely annoying. These days I actually try to avoid Accor if I can despite the fact that I was a member of Sofitel Club, Accor Advantage etc. I gave up on Accor partly because they could not (then) integrate their loyalty programs via their IT system … (and I’d forgone my points, complementary stays, etc).

As to my most recent stay in Melbourne over 4 nights … I stayed at Accor Welcome because it was convenient. Its location is excellent being in the CBD and close to Chinatown, etc and the price was fair value. Taxi’s at the front door.

During my stay, I had several occasions to seek assistance from one of the staff members – Kerchell (name? spelling?) – and she was very helpful.

As for the rest … The bed/sheets were very comfortable. The bathroom has been renovated/updated but my room could do with a new coat of paint and the carpet may have seen better days. Soundproofing wasn’t all that great (being an older building) as I could hear people talking down the corridor and every time someone flushed the toilet can be quite audible.

The tea/coffee material, wine glasses, mugs etc were slotted into an open desk shelf at the ankle level – yes, quirky, I had to bend down to ankle level to access these things. (Look forward to an explanation here from hotel management).

The buffet breakfast was the only other facility that I used during my stay at Accor Welcome. The food quality was better than average and par for hotel buffet breakfast these days re variety etc. Got my fried eggs when I asked for them. Used cutlery and plates were cleared efficiently etc. So no issue here.

Now for a couple of annoyances … When I book a twin, queen or king bed, it seems reasonable to me to be issued with 2 card-keys even though I may be the only person in the room - I like to always have at least 1 key in my wallet.

However these days hotels tend to issue only 1 key unless you ask for the 2nd key presumably to save costs – I get this. But what I do not appreciate is being asked if, e.g., did I left the other key in the room or did I lose the other key … even if this may be simply small talk from the reception/desk clerk.

My response to this question this time was to reply to the reception clerk that I expected female company later in the evening (not true - Wife) … which caused the small talk to shut down pronto. Lesson here is … Don’t make small talk when you may not like/expect the response from a guest. Discretion or say nothing is better.

Then on checking out, the clerk was quite insistent that she could not print out a detailed itemised receipt for me (!). After dancing around for a minute or two as to why this printout was not possible and the exchange was starting to get a little heated, and I indicated that I would take issue with Accor management later, a more experienced person pointed out to her that the printout was do’able as I had booked on Accor’s website rather than a generic Internet booking site.

Apparently she had been told or understood that it was company policy NOT to print out an itemised receipt when a booking was made via ANY Internet site.

2 issues here – firstly, it was a training issue and 2ndly, the clerk did not take it all that well on being corrected. While she did not outwardly displayed annoyance, but it was also clear from her body language that she was not happy. Well get over it Ms young thing – a simple acknowledgement like “Excuse me etc” would have been well received by this customer.

(Irrespective, I am not convinced that it is a good company policy NOT to print out an itemised account if the booking was made outside of Accor’s IT system – I have never experienced such a policy before from any hotel, Accor or otherwise. It is simply good customer service to provide a convenient itemised account especially for tax purposes.)

So on balance, I consider my stay to be a 3 star experience … maybe even 3 ½ at a stretch. Not overwhelmed nor overly impressed. I’d probably stay here again for the convenience but I don’t expect much more though I could be pleasantly surprised in future.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank the_Helicopter
Thank you for your detailed comments from your recent stay with us and whilst a cliche, it is extremly beneficial for us to get such feedback.
Most geusts will choose a hotel for either value or location so I'm pleased we provided both of these for you. I have noted your comments regarding the position of the shelf and the invoice print out with the later being easily and immediately corrected. We are embarking on a renovation next year (with 50% of bathrooms already completed this year) and will look at the convenience of the shelf location that you mentioned during this project next year.
Again, thank you for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.
Kind regards, John Dickson - General Manager