“Stay in Melbourne”

Mercure Welcome Melbourne
Ranked #107 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Erdi G, General Manager at Mercure Welcome Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2014

There are newer reviews for Mercure Welcome Melbourne

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Stayed here for a weekend of shopping for the price & the location it was great! The location is the best - next door to David Jones & oppisite the emporium with all tram stops out the front. Yes the rooms are very basic but clean and they are great for sleeping & showering. We were in room 1131 far from the elevators & street noise - we faced a building wall. The room was quite small with no where to put 2 suitcases easily but we managed. The water pressure in the shower was very strong which was great. Breakfast was good no issues. Enjoyed the bar downstairs with daily $10 cocktails. Will stay again for location!

Room Tip: Dont expect the world for the price!!
2  Thank jasmine_paul

Dear Jasmine and Paul,
Thank you for your comments and I certainly agree on the positive location of the hotel and pleased you enjoyed this......have also passed on the positive service comments to the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Kind regards John Dickson - General Manager.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

I stayed here for a week, combination of business for the first 5 days as I was doing a course in Melbourne and the conference rooms were here at the hotel, then the last 2 days were just for pleasure. I had asked for a quiet room because I had read that some rooms were very noisy, and was given room 628. The room itself was small with a nice renovated bathroom (shower was tiny) but it did prove to be very quiet. The buffet breakfast was adequate, hit & miss with the scrambled eggs! I found the staff to be very friendly and accommodating. The location of the hotel is really the best part, close to everything you need - China Town, Emporium Shopping Centre, Flinders Lane and lots of other eateries.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Julie R
Erdi G, Director of Sales at Mercure Welcome Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2014

Thank you so mych for your great comments concerning the hotel, it's location and service aspects from our staff.......they certainly try hard!
With Melbourne's shopping reputation only getting strong, we certainly understand you wanting to be right in the middle of everything!
We look forward to welcoming you back.
Best regards, John Dickson - General Manager

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank lefteye813

Reviewed 25 August 2014

One word to sum up this hotel - basic! Rooms are small but adequate, with a tiny window. We were on the 11th floor in room 1124. No street noise or lift noise, however on the last night of our 3 night stay there was some noise from the water pipes, but it didn't bother us too much. Breakfast was adequate and the staff in reception were friendly. The location cannot be beaten, everything is on your doorstep. I stayed here with my daughter and we had a twin room, my husband and I wouldn't stay here though as we prefer something a little better than basic. Overall, it did the job but I would look for something a little better on the same block due to the location.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, away from elevators.

Dear Annie,
Thank you for your comments and pleased you enjoyed being in the heart of the city.
I will take up your report on the breakfast buffet and apologies that this wasn't up to standard.
Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Kind regards, John Dickson - General Manager.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Stayed at the hotel for 3 nights, Friday 22nd-mon 25th. The hotel had a brilliant location! The rooms are dated and we found the rooms to be extremely loud. We had a squealing noise that was on and off all night for every night we were there. (It sounded like a tap that hadn't been turned on fully and the pipes squealing) We called the concierge desk and they promptly got us ear plugs delivered to our room. We required ear plugs for our entire stay. The rooms aren't very sound proof and had difficulty sleeping when you can hear conversations in the room next to you.

The staff were very friendly, courteous and helpful on all occasions however. Definitely recommend if you are on a budget.

Overall, good hotel for the money.

Room Tip: I wouldn't suggest a standard room unless you are only staying one night. Extremely small rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Erdi G, Manager at Mercure Welcome Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear csi76,

Thank you for your feedback and for acknowledging the friendliness of our team member.
I am sorry to hear about the noise disruption from the neighboring rooms, and apologize for the inconveniences caused.

Kind regards,
Alex Mihardja, Operational Project Manager

Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

This was a comment made by several guests as I was waiting for the lift to go to my room a few moments after I checked in. I was not sure how to take that one so I opened my room door in trepidation.

They may have been half right, the room was small and tired but it was functional and despite the wifi not working it did the job for the night.

It is not a business hotel. It is a tourist hotel and that was quite obvious, but it did have a full size iron board which I appreciated.

Would I stay again, probably not as it did not suit my needs but if I was travelling on holiday on a budget then definitely as it is a great location, only minutes to Chinatown and some great shops.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Greggo60,
Thank you for your honest feedback.
May I suggest in the future, for you to try The Swanston Hotel, Grand Mercure, adjacent to Mercure Welcome Melbourne, as I am sure you will enjoy the added comfort and facilities which this hotel offers.

Kind regards,