“Great Place to Stay”

BreakFree on Collins
Ranked #107 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

Very good location, clean rooms and a good price. We had a peaceful nights sleep, the bed was comfortable and there was a good view down into Collins street with a picturesque view of the town hall. Detergent, a new sponge and wipe cloth, and drain plugs were supplied. The new Bosch dishwasher and cooktop made for a good stay. We would stay again.

I'm not sure what all these negative reviews on here are about.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anthony H
Write a ReviewReviews (1,988)

Reviewed 21 November 2013

We booked a 2 bedroom apartment for a family of four, the kids room was very small with no storage they lived out of their suitcase. The place was dirty, curtains all stained, walls filthy, had to put a washer on the armrest of lounge to hide stains of who knows what. Washing machine didn't work properly, no plug for the kitchen sink.

Balcony area had not seen a broom for years, the drains were caked with sludge.

We stayed for 5 nights and did not get the room serviced once, it served our purpose of being right in the heart of the city but won't be returning. I would have made a complaint handing in the keys but I wasn't even asked how was the stay and I couldn't be bothered. I knew I would be writing a review.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ali N
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

What a nice place to stay. This is right in the centre of town. So handy!

Go back to drop off your shopping and put your feet up for a while.

Clean and very comfortable as well.

We stay here regularly and recommend it.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dianne M
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Very close to everything.Very clean and well set out.Quite modern.Great for families.Only complaint was 2 bdrm didn't have enough seating for four.Kitchen is well set out so you could cook in there but eating places are also near by. Security to get in is tight too which I really liked.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank outonadate
Reviewed 11 November 2013

After reading some rather negative reviews we were pleasantly surprised with Darling Towers on Collins! It definitely is a little rundown and could do with a paint job but the room was comfortable and had everything you would expect to find in a self contained apartment. The location was excellent with trams outside door and walking distance to restaurants, bars, shopping etc. We would stay here again.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul_and_Marnie
Reviewed 7 November 2013

My friend and I stayed one night in a 2 bedroom apartment this week. I wouldn’t want to stay here longer.

The apartment was reasonably clean and conveniently located but is not the 4½ star they claim in their brochure. I stayed here a number of years ago and liked it but it appears that no maintenance has been done since then.

Our apartment was a decent size, though the second bedroom was tiny. The carpet and walls were stained in places, the bath looks like it needs replacing and the curtains in my bedroom didn’t close properly. All that said, we were staying one night after a function so we really only needed a place to sleep. The apartment had a safe, but it was so high in a cupboard that neither my friend or I could reach it. We were on level 5 and there was quite a lot of street noise. It didn’t keep me awake but I could sleep through almost anything.

I won’t be rushing back here.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Not sure why Darling Towers is getting such terrible reviews. My friends and I stayed here mid week in a two bedroom apartment and were stoked with the apartment size and comfort, the value ($140 per night) and the amazing location. Room was huge with two bedrooms that shared the bathroom with intersecting doors. Not overly moderm but not overly old either. Shower was fine - hot water didnt take 5 minutes like a reviewer said though if we are being particular then pressure was a bit soft.
Reception is fine, service pleasant.
Brilliant location...close to everything. Would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013