“A great place to Stay”

Ranked #110 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Wellington, New Zealand
“A great place to Stay”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We had an amazingly wonderful stay at Darling Towers. I had read all the negative reviews previously and decided to give it a go. We wanted somewhere central and closed to Melbourne city. It couldn't have been better! We had the city on the doorstep, in a great street and close to everything we needed to get to.
We arrived expecting a very average room but were absolutely amazed at a very stylish newly refurbished one bedroom apartment, service every 3 days. It really made our stay so much better! Full kitchen and laundry. Flat screen tv etc.
Very good communication with the office and all staff. Thank you for making our 10 days stay so enjoyable.

The only draw back was it was quite noisey early hours of the morning from the alley way so take your earplugs and you'll be fine. :-)

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished apartment - they may all be by now. Away from the alleyway.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jen_knee43

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 23 July 2014

You get what you pay for and I have no complaints... It is centrally located close to Swanston Street and the Bourke Street Mall... so close to everything that you want... great if you want to walk to a game at the MCG... the rooms are clean and the beds are comfortable... certainly not luxurious... but I didn't pay for that... check in was easy and checkout even easier... like a country hotel in the city

Room Tip: This basic accommodation for people travelling as a family or a group... don't expect the world...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank LISPNSport
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Arriving late at the hotel proved messy. The main doors were locked so I had to contact reception to be let in. There were no instructions but eventually I worked out that I was supposed to dial a special number on a specific keypad near the door in poor light. Reception then unlocked the door. Reception was on the 6th floor but unless you knew to head for lift 3, the other lifts did not go that high. I was not quick enough to reach lift 3 because I had suitcases, so the lift timed out and I had to go outside the building and start the whole process again. None of this was mentioned in the ad for the hotel. When I eventually navigated the maze on the 6th floor I reached reception. The receptionist was friendly and efficient. I took my key, then back into the lift to my floor, which had its own maze of corridors.

The lounge room was smallish and a little dated, but the apartment also had 2 bedrooms and an ensuite. I visited the bathroom and took a shower. The water was cool but rapidly became super hot. I tried to turn down the hot water but the tap came off in my hand; a nut was missing. The towel rack was just about to come out of the wall so I didn't want to risk it by placing a towel on it ! One tug on the toilet paper sent it off its holder and rolling towards the door. The toilet holder itself had a broken spindle so it didn't hold the toilet roll properly. At least I could make myself a cup of tea in the room. Then I noticed that the counters had not been cleaned and were covered in dust and bread crumbs.

All these things spoiled the fact that the apartment itself was very comfortable and well situated for local shops.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Stephen W

Travellers are raving about these Melbourne hotels

Alice Springs, Australia
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I have stayed here a few times now. I love that it's right in the city, close to trams and trains. Lovely clean and modern kitchenettes. Higher rooms are quieter, and the little balconies provide a welcome breath of fresh air that we can't get in hotels around the NT.
I had to book a room in a hurry, and was able to get another one in the same hotel, late in the afternoon of the day I needed it. Thank you! It meant I didn't need to move all my stuff - just what I needed.
Stairwells could do with a clean more regularly. We found that Maintenance guys get onto issues straight away if anything does arise, which is awesome.

For somewhere to stay and relax after a big day, or as a base for the Melbourne nightlife... I love it.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank LeanneU0870
Wollongong
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

The location of these apartments is great. It is situated in the heart of the CBD just a short walk from great shopping and restaurants and theatres. A tram stop is just out the front of the apartments. Our room was okay. The beds were very uncomfortable and the layout of the room was odd. It was dated and worn. The service was ok.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank 4frugals
Reviewed 11 July 2014

The location is great. The staff were lovely. The apartment was clean. Despite being advertised as having a balcony, it had some kind of metal "French balcony" that overlooked the industrial waste bins (even in the cold of July, the smell was awful)

The problem we had were the rock hard beds, you could feel the springs digging in as you tried to sleep. After 3 nights, we all needed massages because we had pain in our backs!!

Outside the windows, on the 5th floor, there was some kind of metal scraping sound all night, the windows don't open so we have no clue what it was.

Lastly, the water pressure was really bad. Barely any for a shower, so no chance of running a bath. Also the temperature never got hot, so there was no need to use the cold at all while showering!!

The bonus was the location, and cleanliness of the place. (Carpets all need a good steam clean though!)

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Shana B
Port Sorell, Australia
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I have stayed here several times over the last few years mainly because of the location-I have noticed that the general state of the facilities has deteriorated. Our stay this week was the last straw... Holes in the carpet, the toilet cistern had two major cracks, broken tiles and grouting in the bathroom, substandard cleaning of kitchen area and bathroom, dirty vertical blinds that couldn't be angled or drawn (broken chains and rods). I can't believe that I actually paid to stay there...never again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family