“Just a couple of little tweaks would make it perfect of its kind”

Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels
Ranked #40 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Canberra
“Just a couple of little tweaks would make it perfect of its kind”
Reviewed 11 May 2011

I found this hotel delivered what it advertises clearly. As a single traveller without a lot of luggage (unusual for me!) I I found the room was adequate in size, as was the bathroom. It was clean and attractive, staff were pleasant and efficient, and the breakfast offered more than the usual dreary hotel fare at reasonable cost. Location is perfect for walking from Southern Cross and close to the free tram.

I think a guide to what is supposed to be in the room would help: I had to ring twice because there was no hairdryer. I found the shower curtain solution ingenious. However the amount of bedding was totally inadequate for a cold Melbourne night, there was no spare blanket, and I had to keep the heating on all night, not very environmentally friendly.
Some little issues such as bathroom door not closing properly would be more significant if sharing a room, and I would think twice before booking other than as a single, but I would certainly go there again as a sole traveller.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
PHMGM, Front Office Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, 15 May 2011
Dear operagoerCanberra,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback!

It is fantastic to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us that you found our team to be so friendly and efficient!

It is also pleasing to hear how much you enjoyed your breakfast in Pensione Café. I love our mushroom, fetta and avocado sandwich!

My apologies for the difficulties you faced with the hairdryer. We have since rectified this problem with the housekeeping team and implemented a new checking schedule. We also have warm woollen blankets available on request at our 24 hour reception desk.

Management and our maintenance team are currently investigating new solutions in relation to the gap between the bathroom door and the wall. We can certainly appreciate that your privacy is crucial!

Thank you for your feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve our facilities and take on board all of our guest comments.

We hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 1 May 2011

I recently stayed at the Pension Melbourne for a few nights whilst in town for a Design Conference. Being in the interior design industry, I am always looking for cool hotels to stay in. I was amazed to find this hip, sophisticated hotel, right opposite the convention centre and awesome restaurants by the Casino. This old gem of a building has been remodeled into this chic getaway. With smartly designed rooms and a young friendly staff, this place is perfect for the modern traveller.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
PHMGM, Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, 4 May 2011
Dear howardraines
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your lovely feedback!
We are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed the charm and allure of the Pensione Hotel Melbourne! We have tried to model our property on the homely designs of the Pensione’s of old continental Europe and inject our own sense of style into the building. We aim to provide our guests with a funky getaway in the heart of the city and it is great to hear how much you liked it!
We look forward to welcoming you back real soon!
Albury, Australia
Reviewed 30 April 2011

The hotel is conveniently located just a short walk from Spencer St (Southern Cross) train station.

We booked a petite double for $105 as part of the 'Autumn Deals' offered by the hotel. The room was quite small, but it was clean and comfortable enough.

The bathroom is too small. There is barely enough room between the toilet and the vanity to sit
comfortably on the toilet. The shower is divided from the
bathroom with a poor quality
shower curtain.

We also had problems with the
fridge constantly rattling throughout
the night (it could not be turned off
at the wall) and the air conditioner automatically turning off every 10 minutes.

There is free wi-fi (although accessing it requires a lot more steps than it should) and tea and coffee making facilities.

In general the hotel is well located, clean and the staff were friendly. I don't think this is a bad hotel, I do however think we got a bad room. The negatives outweighed the positives in this occasion.

• Stayed April 2011
Dear Hamish09
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback.
First of all let me say how disappointed I was to hear that you had not found the room to be as comfortable as expected! The Pensione Hotel has many different room types available for all different sorts of needs and I am confidant that our friendly team would have only been to happy to show you around to ensure that you had a room to cater to your needs.
I am also sorry to hear that you found the bathroom to be a bit compact! I can certainly understand that the bathrooms are a bit cozy however we do try to provide you with all the amenities to keep you comfortable. In regards to the vanity in the bathroom management have currently begun removing and re installing a more slender glass version of the vanity in order to allow for some more leg room but as I am sure you can appreciate with 114 rooms this is a rather large task that has been scheduled to be completed as rooms become available!
Also I regret to hear that your fridge was making a strange noise! I am sorry that this made for a difficult night however I am sure that if our friendly team had been made aware of this they would have either switched off the fridge for you or offered to assist you in moving to a new room. In relation to your air conditioner we did have several problems this past week for which I apologize, it seems there was a electrical fault causing a couple of air conditioners to malfunction. We have since called our air control maintenance team and this fault has been rectified.
Again I am sorry for any difficulties you faced whilst staying with us and would like to invite you back to give us the chance us to show you the warmth and charm that most of our guests experience at the Pensione Hotel Melbourne.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2011

Reasonably priced hotel room. Very small room and toilet but very comfrortable. I travelled alone and that was alright. I can imagine if 2 people sharing a room with big luggage will be a very, very tight squeeze. However, the room was clean and functional and the staff are very helpful.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
Brisbane
Reviewed 25 April 2011

Firstly, the location was great. Right on the corner of Spencer Street & Flinders Street where there is a tram stop - so it was very easy to get around. We booked an economy double room and I have to say that from the photos I was expecting more from the room as it was a little run down. However the rooms were very clean which at the end of the day is the most important thing. It kind of felt like a hostel room with a private bathroom - which is fine with us as we have stayed in many hostels before. The only thing that really bothered us was the noise. All the economy double rooms are on the ground floor, we stayed in room 005 which must have been beside a pub because it was so noisy. We had the worst sleep and were not very happy the next morning, The staff were very helpful and apologetic the next morning and moved us to a different room. They said we would have been upgraded however the hotel was full. We were happy being moved, still on the ground floor, and we had a much better sleep the next night. I would definitely recommend this hotel however I would suggest spending a little more money and booking a different room type. I would only recommend the economy rooms if you are on a really tight budget. :)

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lisa_freelife
Sydney
Reviewed 16 April 2011

Easy check in and check out, staff friendly and informative. Stay was comfortable.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SydneyDilip
PHMGM, Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, 20 April 2011
Dear SydneyDilip

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback!
It is great to hear how easy you found our check in and check out process and how friendly you found our team to be! We do enjoy taking the time to really look after you and have the opportunity to share out tips and tricks on what’s around in Melbourne!

We look forward to welcoming you back real soon!

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 15 April 2011

I originally chose the Pensione Hotel, Melbourne because it is within walking distance to the Conventions Centre and the train station. A tram stop is in front, it is ideally situated, and the prices are very reasonable. When I arrived I was pleasantly surpised to find a lovely hotel, charming and yet up to date. The staff were welcoming and efficient and the excellent service I received from Reception was a wonderful surprise. I have stayed in many hotels both overseas and in Australia and I must admit that this was the best service I have ever received. A welcoming smile, good advice and making an effort to make sure that my stay was pleasant. The room was lovely and well serviced and my whole stay at the Pensione was a happy experience. I would recommend this hotel to anyone coming to Melbourne and intend to use this hotel for all future visits.

Room Tip: Excellent location. Great service and rooms.