“Room 20”

Reviewed 1 December 2013

ATT; Leah Theodosiadis
Front Office Receptionist

Hi Leah,
I would just like to drop you a email to say how much Carolyne & I enjoyed our stay (Room 20) at The Pensione last weekend (30/11/2013-01/12/2013).
The room was fantastic; love the little court yard & breakfast on Sunday was excellent.
As a (Chef (not anymore) myself I am very impressed that your Chef can cook a perfect poached egg. It shows that he/she has great skill & takes pride in their work.

Also I was very impressed with the little welcoming note on our bed when we arrived Saturday wishing us a “amazing time” at my nieces wedding (we did btw-ty).

I work in customer service myself & it is the little things that impress clients, a smile, a note, etc... These are the 1%’s that ensure return business, next time we are staying in Melbourne we will be calling you 1st.

Many Thanks again, please pass my compliments onto your vary capable & professional staff

Peter Blackhall
Shepparton, 3630. Vic.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Calisha_Allsworth_HM, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2013

Dear Peter,
Thank you for your lovely review!
We are thrilled to hear of your experience and thank you for your kind words in relation to the team and Olivier’s café. We certainly pride ourselves on our guest interactions and indeed we aim to create a unique experience for everyone who stays at the Pensione. I have passed on your comments to both Leah and our Chef’s who were both delighted to hear how much you enjoyed yourself.
Should you ever wish to return to Melbourne or stay at any of our 8Hotels properties within Australia or abroad please feel free to contact our friendly reservations team who would be delighted to look after you.
We look forward to welcoming you again to the Pensione Hotel Melbourne.
Calisha and the Pensione Team

Write a ReviewReviews (2,686)

Reviewed 30 November 2013

I stayed here earlier this year for a conference. The best feature of this hotel is that it is just up the street from Souther Cross Station, which makes it convenient for travellers who may want to catch the Skybus shuttle to the airport. It is also within walking distance to the Melbourne Convention Centre.

The compliments stop there. For the cost being charged, I am not sure if it is entirely worth it. The building is old, the staircase is tired and worn. The rooms are tiny, and the bathrooms are even smaller. Even upgrading to the 'penthouse' - best room in the building - only improved things slightly. The sinks are small and narrow, and there is a wooden ledge placed 30cm above the sink so if you lift your head up, you will bump into it. Bed is a decent size, a small desk below the flat screen TV.

It is still a reasonable stay, but don't expect anything amazing.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Dear syrupmaple,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.
I am terribly sorry to read that you found the staircase tired and worn, we are in the process of performing soft refurbishment works to all of our public areas and this is next on our list. I would also like to apologise that you found the sinks in the Studio Apartment too small. I have passed this information onto our maintenance team who will look at alternatives right away.
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our location. It certainly is handy when you are travelling via the Skybus.
Should you be travelling to Melbourne again in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I would love to personally ensure a suitable room is offered to you and for you to see the improvements we are constantly making to our hotel.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Had a great stay here a few weeks ago after a xmas party at the casino. Friendly and helpful staff, room was clean and bed was comfortable. This was our second stay at the hotel and the welcome back chocolate were a nice touch. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Calisha_Allsworth_HM, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear courty81,
Thank you for your lovely review!
We are thrilled to read of your experience and thank you for the lovely feedback in regards to our team. We certainly do enjoy welcoming our return guests back and look forward to seeing you again soon! Likewise should you ever wish to travel to any of our other 8Hotels properties, please feel free to give our friendly reservations team a call who would love to make enquiries on your behalf.
We look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Reviewed 25 November 2013

We checked in easily with nice friendly staff, she told us, in an apologetic way, that we had a room with 2 single beds on the ground floor. Have never stayed in a down stairs room before but we were happy with any room just so long as we can sleep and not get disturbed.
The room was quite small, but easy to fit in, the bathroom was obviously for someone needing wheel chair access as the bathroom was quite large with a seat in the shower. Good they have these we just did not need that facility, fortunately. The beds were very comfortable and the only real downside from my point of view is that there were no windows to open, and from my friends point of view there was a bit too much light spill from the one window that coped the hall lighting all night. There was a blind, which we used the next night and she said it was much better.
We had issues with Optus coverage for both our mobile phones and our Internet dongle, the hotel went out of their way to assist and gave us complimentary internet to help solve this issue.
They have good secure storage for your luggage s we had to check out at 10:00am and our flight was not until 5:00pm, that is a good bonus.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Calisha_Allsworth_HM, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear megawat23,

Thank you for your recent review.

We are glad to hear how much you enjoyed our bedding and are thrilled that our reception team was able to assist you with your wifi issues! We can certainly understand how frustrating it can be when mobiles are out of service and I’m delighted to see how professionally the team were able to help you.

Should you ever wish to return to Melbourne or indeed any of our 8Hotels properties within Australia or abroad, please feel free to contact our friendly reservations team who would love the opportunity to look after you for your next stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 25 November 2013

My second time staying in Pensione was even more positive then the first. I was in Melbourne for work purposes, and only stayed for two nights. The hotel even offered a Myki (metro) card so you don't have to buy one for a short stay. It's location is great because you can either walk or take the tram everywhere (several tram stops surrounding the hotel).

It's a great hotel, fantastic staff who are always helpful and are very knowledgeable about the city. Importantly, they make excellent recommendations about restaurants to eat at and go out of their way to accommodate you. Their hot breakfast options were worth the value; delicious food and big meal. The room itself was great. Granted, it is "European" style in that the bathroom is small, however this was adequate for a short trip. The petite room (#204) I got was very clean and bed was good.

I would recommend this hotel to a friend, and certainly stay for a third time!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Dear MooCow7 (hehe we love your username!)

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay!

We are thrilled to read about how much you enjoyed your stay with us and are glad we could assist you with exploring Melbourne! The team and I delight in sharing our local knowledge with all our guests – you could even say we are all hardcore foodies!

Should you ever wish to return to Melbourne or indeed any of our 8Hotels properties, please feel free to contact our friendly reservations team who would love the opportunity to look after you for your next stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Very convenient to exhibition centre, southern cross station, free tram route and dfo.
Quiet rooms, smallish but very modern and clean.
Small ensuite but suited us well. Friendly and helpful with luggage storgage, tips, airline check-in and overall helpful staff.
Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear 474angela,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at Pensione Hotel Melbourne. We were so pleased to see that you enjoyed your time with us and found our staff friendly and helpful!

Should you be travelling to Melbourne again in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us directly! We love to look after our return guests!

Reviewed 22 November 2013

This hotel is perfect for an inexpensive clean modern hotel.Really pleasant helpful check in staff, a good sized room with everything one requires and although there were many rooms opening on to internal areas which would be very quiet even my room facing Spencer street was acceptably quiet. in the evening the restaurant delivered a delightful meal to my room at no extra cost and with a smile. breakfast was only $15,00 for a delicious breakfast with eggs Benedict. Only problem was on my final morning when the kitchen was overwhelmed by guests and it took 4o minutes for my hot breakfast,.If only restaurants would be honest and say there is a delay would you prefer the buffet. but no, they kept saying its just coming......... I had to settle for cold anyway in the end as I was getting so late fro my conference. Great shame and spoilt an otherwise flawless hotel stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear 474angela,

Thank you for your recent review!

Firstly please allow us to apologize for any difficulties you may have experienced with regards to your breakfast. Whilst it can get very busy during high occupancy periods we can certainly understand how frustrating it can be when you have an appointment or conference to attend to. As a result I have had a meeting with all of our Food and Beverage team in regards to changing our standards and I can assure you that your feedback has been taken on board.

Thank you however for your kind words in regards to the rest of your stay, it is great to read how pleasant and helpful you had found our team to be.

Should you ever wish to return to Melbourne please feel free to contact our friendly reservations team who would delight in the opportunity to look after you sometime in the future.

We hope to welcome you again soon!

Warm Regards,