“hidden gem”

Ranked #43 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
“hidden gem”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

This little hotel is a hidden gem in the centre of Melbourne within easy walking distance of many wonderful sights and restaurants. The free tram stops just outside its door and the railway/bus station is a short walk away.

The hotel is charming with many little extras. The room was small but clean and bright with all amenities. But the best part was the staff who were efficient, knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. The restaurant/ bar was excellent.

Will definitely return if in Melbourne and will try others of their group when I have the opportunity.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Virginia M
Calisha_Allsworth_HM, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
Dear Virginia M,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay!
We are thrilled to hear of your experience and thank you for your kind words in relation to the team. We certainly do enjoy interacting with all our guests on a daily basis and we love to share all of Melbourne’s best kept secrets! Please let us know when you are planning to return to Melbourne and we will certainly ensure that your next stay will be as equally enjoyable as the first.
See you soon!
Calisha and the Pensione Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
New Brighton, Australia
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I chose this hotel because it was walking distance from Southern Cross Station and the centre. But what really sold me was a traveler wrote on this site that the windows are operable. Fresh air means a lot to me. I loved the boutique hotel ambience. The design is beautiful and unique. The room are very small however. I was travelling alone but took a double for a bit more space. I can't imagine staying in that room with my husband. That would have been claustrophobic. The door to the shower was so narrow, I imagine some wouldn't be able to squeeze through.

At night that open window was no use to me as the noise outside forced me to close it. Also, I loved the wide sweeping staircase which was good as the elevator was wobbly and made me nervous. As I was on the third floor, I got plenty of exercise. The bed was very comfortable with a bunch of pillows but the pillows were all large and harder than I prefer. It seems practical for a hotel to offer a variety of large, small, soft and firm.
The staff at the desk were lovely and there was a great Thai massage place connected to it with discounts for hotel guests. I would stay there again on a solo trip to Melbourne but not with my partner.

Room Tip: I was at the back of the building which was surprisingly noisy at night.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Laura S,
Thank you for your recent review!
We are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed our location and thank you for your kind words in relation to the design of the property. I am sorry however to hear that you found your room to be quite small, the Pensione does have many different room sizes available and I am confident our friendly reception team would have been more than happy to show you some other options.
In regards to our pillows you may be pleased to know we have just ordered some brand new Microcloud pillows so that our guests have some other options - please let us know when you are returning in the future and we will certainly ensure that we place some of these in your room.
We look forward to welcoming you again sometime soon!
Shepparton, Australia
Reviewed 1 December 2013

ATT; Leah Theodosiadis
Front Office Receptionist

Hi Leah,
I would just like to drop you a email to say how much Carolyne & I enjoyed our stay (Room 20) at The Pensione last weekend (30/11/2013-01/12/2013).
The room was fantastic; love the little court yard & breakfast on Sunday was excellent.
As a (Chef (not anymore) myself I am very impressed that your Chef can cook a perfect poached egg. It shows that he/she has great skill & takes pride in their work.

Also I was very impressed with the little welcoming note on our bed when we arrived Saturday wishing us a “amazing time” at my nieces wedding (we did btw-ty).

I work in customer service myself & it is the little things that impress clients, a smile, a note, etc... These are the 1%’s that ensure return business, next time we are staying in Melbourne we will be calling you 1st.

Many Thanks again, please pass my compliments onto your vary capable & professional staff

Peter Blackhall
Shepparton, 3630. Vic.

Dear Peter,
Thank you for your lovely review!
We are thrilled to hear of your experience and thank you for your kind words in relation to the team and Olivier’s café. We certainly pride ourselves on our guest interactions and indeed we aim to create a unique experience for everyone who stays at the Pensione. I have passed on your comments to both Leah and our Chef’s who were both delighted to hear how much you enjoyed yourself.
Should you ever wish to return to Melbourne or stay at any of our 8Hotels properties within Australia or abroad please feel free to contact our friendly reservations team who would be delighted to look after you.
We look forward to welcoming you again to the Pensione Hotel Melbourne.
Melbourne
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I stayed here earlier this year for a conference. The best feature of this hotel is that it is just up the street from Souther Cross Station, which makes it convenient for travellers who may want to catch the Skybus shuttle to the airport. It is also within walking distance to the Melbourne Convention Centre.

The compliments stop there. For the cost being charged, I am not sure if it is entirely worth it. The building is old, the staircase is tired and worn. The rooms are tiny, and the bathrooms are even smaller. Even upgrading to the 'penthouse' - best room in the building - only improved things slightly. The sinks are small and narrow, and there is a wooden ledge placed 30cm above the sink so if you lift your head up, you will bump into it. Bed is a decent size, a small desk below the flat screen TV.

It is still a reasonable stay, but don't expect anything amazing.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Dear syrupmaple,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.
I am terribly sorry to read that you found the staircase tired and worn, we are in the process of performing soft refurbishment works to all of our public areas and this is next on our list. I would also like to apologise that you found the sinks in the Studio Apartment too small. I have passed this information onto our maintenance team who will look at alternatives right away.
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our location. It certainly is handy when you are travelling via the Skybus.
Should you be travelling to Melbourne again in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I would love to personally ensure a suitable room is offered to you and for you to see the improvements we are constantly making to our hotel.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Had a great stay here a few weeks ago after a xmas party at the casino. Friendly and helpful staff, room was clean and bed was comfortable. This was our second stay at the hotel and the welcome back chocolate were a nice touch. Would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Calisha_Allsworth_HM, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear courty81,
Thank you for your lovely review!
We are thrilled to read of your experience and thank you for the lovely feedback in regards to our team. We certainly do enjoy welcoming our return guests back and look forward to seeing you again soon! Likewise should you ever wish to travel to any of our other 8Hotels properties, please feel free to give our friendly reservations team a call who would love to make enquiries on your behalf.
We look forward to welcoming you again soon!
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We checked in easily with nice friendly staff, she told us, in an apologetic way, that we had a room with 2 single beds on the ground floor. Have never stayed in a down stairs room before but we were happy with any room just so long as we can sleep and not get disturbed.
The room was quite small, but easy to fit in, the bathroom was obviously for someone needing wheel chair access as the bathroom was quite large with a seat in the shower. Good they have these we just did not need that facility, fortunately. The beds were very comfortable and the only real downside from my point of view is that there were no windows to open, and from my friends point of view there was a bit too much light spill from the one window that coped the hall lighting all night. There was a blind, which we used the next night and she said it was much better.
We had issues with Optus coverage for both our mobile phones and our Internet dongle, the hotel went out of their way to assist and gave us complimentary internet to help solve this issue.
They have good secure storage for your luggage s we had to check out at 10:00am and our flight was not until 5:00pm, that is a good bonus.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Calisha_Allsworth_HM, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear megawat23,

Thank you for your recent review.

We are glad to hear how much you enjoyed our bedding and are thrilled that our reception team was able to assist you with your wifi issues! We can certainly understand how frustrating it can be when mobiles are out of service and I’m delighted to see how professionally the team were able to help you.

Should you ever wish to return to Melbourne or indeed any of our 8Hotels properties within Australia or abroad, please feel free to contact our friendly reservations team who would love the opportunity to look after you for your next stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Warmest Regards,

Adelaide
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My second time staying in Pensione was even more positive then the first. I was in Melbourne for work purposes, and only stayed for two nights. The hotel even offered a Myki (metro) card so you don't have to buy one for a short stay. It's location is great because you can either walk or take the tram everywhere (several tram stops surrounding the hotel).

It's a great hotel, fantastic staff who are always helpful and are very knowledgeable about the city. Importantly, they make excellent recommendations about restaurants to eat at and go out of their way to accommodate you. Their hot breakfast options were worth the value; delicious food and big meal. The room itself was great. Granted, it is "European" style in that the bathroom is small, however this was adequate for a short trip. The petite room (#204) I got was very clean and bed was good.

I would recommend this hotel to a friend, and certainly stay for a third time!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Dear MooCow7 (hehe we love your username!)

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay!

We are thrilled to read about how much you enjoyed your stay with us and are glad we could assist you with exploring Melbourne! The team and I delight in sharing our local knowledge with all our guests – you could even say we are all hardcore foodies!

Should you ever wish to return to Melbourne or indeed any of our 8Hotels properties, please feel free to contact our friendly reservations team who would love the opportunity to look after you for your next stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Warmest Regards,