We had stayed in the Hotel Grand Chancellor in Adelaide, on a previous trip to Australia, and were pleased with that so, when coming to Melbourne, we booked an economy room for 4 nights.
We wanted a centrally located hotel with bar, restaurant and swimming pool at a reasonable price and that is what we got.
On arrival reception were welcoming but apologetic, they informed us that the air con was not working in any of the rooms. We had prepaid for the rooms and were offered a full refund if we wished to find another hotel or they would provide a fan for the room. It was too late to go looking for another hotel that night so we stayed, after having negotiated free wi-fi in recompense for no air con.
The room had a small balcony so we could open the door and the fan worked OK. Fortunately it was not that hot.
The roof top swimming pool was good and we rated the bar and Encore restaurant(see separate review). The staff were efficient and friendly.
The location is excellent, being close to Chinatown, and the free City Circle tram and $5 tourist shuttle bus stops. Travelling around the CBD was easy.
However, there were two negatives. My husband, who is just under 6 feet in height, found the bed to be too short and the housekeeping left some things to be desired. The room appeared to clean on arrival, but dirty cups were not removed, surfaces were not dusted and the bathroom floor was not cleaned during our 4 night stay.
All in all the hotel provides a lot of pluses for the price we paid.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Well-regarded Traditional 17-story Hotel in city center, near theaters, shopping & Chinatown. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ctrip TA, Booking.com, Southall Travel, Agoda, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Grand Chancellor Melbourne reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Chancellor Melbourne Hotel Melbourne
- Grand Chancellor Hotel Melbourne
- Melbourne Grand Chancellor Hotel