Check in/out staff were welcoming and efficient. I arrived very early and they happily stored my bags for the day. When I came back, still nearly an hour prior to proper check in I was allocated a room on the 13th floor so I was very happy with how the staff looked after me given the circumstances. Good start by the staff.
Unfortunately the "Executive" room I had booked was not up to scratch. Standard decor in a small room with an unappealing balcony area. The fridge (generic brand wine chiller) was ineffective at cooling drinks adequately. The bathroom was average white tiled and bland.
I was most disappointed in the bed. I would expect a queen bed as standard these days and this bed was smaller than a double. I am not overly tall at approx 5'10 and my feet protruded over the end of the bed at my ankles. The bed was made up with just a sheet on top of the mattress with no use of a protector between them. It was also a cheap spring mattress and the springs could be felt protruding through. Uncomfortable and simply not good enough I'm afraid.
I'd hate to think I was given a "renovated" room in this case. Scuffed walls abounded! This hotel has a long way to go to justify the price they are asking. The Executive at advertised rates of between $189 and $259 on a Friday night is overpriced by minimally $50 to $100 in my opinion. Sorry HGC but there is simply no way to Justify $259 for this room no matter if it was the last room in Melbourne if the F1, Cup and Grand Final were all on the same day.
My comparison comes from the Grand Chancellor in Adelaide on Hindley, which is this hotels equal location wise (given their respective cities), probably better in this respect. The Adelaide room was vastly bigger, better decorated, and had a very comfortable KING bed and was SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper. I know its a cheaper city overall but the value for money was streets ahead!
Breakfast at HGC melbourne was average buffet fare not even worth mentioning really. They also refused to deliver breakfast to the room which I prefer to do. HGC Adelaide did this no questions asked!
All in all you ask yourself would you stay again, and in the case of the HGC Melbourne the answer is a definitive NO.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Well-regarded Traditional 17-story Hotel in city center, near theaters, shopping & Chinatown. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Agoda, Expedia, Southall Travel, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Chancellor Melbourne reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Chancellor Melbourne Hotel Melbourne
- Grand Chancellor Hotel Melbourne
- Melbourne Grand Chancellor Hotel