“Great location”

Ranked #96 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great location”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We got upgraded to an executive room -nice! Reasonable rates and good location within walking distance of all the laneways, shops and restaurants. Not far from the river.Staff friendly.Rooftop pool. A few steps from the free tourist tram.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Dear Lois,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Melbourne. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your time with us.

The Executive Room in which you stayed was recently refurbished with new furniture, bedding, carpet and curtains, as well as some upgrades to the bathroom. I am glad to read you found it nice and comfortable.

The hotel's location is one of its greatest assets, being walking distance to all of Melbourne's great attractions and the shopping districts. I hope you were able to see all the sights that you wanted to see!

Thank you again for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Check in/out staff were welcoming and efficient. I arrived very early and they happily stored my bags for the day. When I came back, still nearly an hour prior to proper check in I was allocated a room on the 13th floor so I was very happy with how the staff looked after me given the circumstances. Good start by the staff.
Unfortunately the "Executive" room I had booked was not up to scratch. Standard decor in a small room with an unappealing balcony area. The fridge (generic brand wine chiller) was ineffective at cooling drinks adequately. The bathroom was average white tiled and bland.
I was most disappointed in the bed. I would expect a queen bed as standard these days and this bed was smaller than a double. I am not overly tall at approx 5'10 and my feet protruded over the end of the bed at my ankles. The bed was made up with just a sheet on top of the mattress with no use of a protector between them. It was also a cheap spring mattress and the springs could be felt protruding through. Uncomfortable and simply not good enough I'm afraid.
I'd hate to think I was given a "renovated" room in this case. Scuffed walls abounded! This hotel has a long way to go to justify the price they are asking. The Executive at advertised rates of between $189 and $259 on a Friday night is overpriced by minimally $50 to $100 in my opinion. Sorry HGC but there is simply no way to Justify $259 for this room no matter if it was the last room in Melbourne if the F1, Cup and Grand Final were all on the same day.
My comparison comes from the Grand Chancellor in Adelaide on Hindley, which is this hotels equal location wise (given their respective cities), probably better in this respect. The Adelaide room was vastly bigger, better decorated, and had a very comfortable KING bed and was SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper. I know its a cheaper city overall but the value for money was streets ahead!
Breakfast at HGC melbourne was average buffet fare not even worth mentioning really. They also refused to deliver breakfast to the room which I prefer to do. HGC Adelaide did this no questions asked!
All in all you ask yourself would you stay again, and in the case of the HGC Melbourne the answer is a definitive NO.

2 Thank AndyAck19
Dear Andy,

I am sorry that you found your stay to be disappointing overall, and that you didn't find our hotel met the same standards as the Adelaide hotel. The decor of our Executive Rooms is actually almost identical furniture to the Adelaide hotel, supplied by the same company, so I am surprised to read that you found it of lower appeal. Some of our rooms are a little smaller than their's, due to the differing designs of the hotels.

Your comments in regards to room service breakfast is also surprising. The hotel certainly offers room service breakfast as part of the hotel facilities and there is a room service breakfast menu positioned on the back of your room door. We are always more than happy to provide this to our guests.

Thank you very much for your review, and I am again sorry that you didn't find the hotel to be good value for money. As you stated, Melbourne is a more expensive city in terms of room rates than Adelaide, due to significantly higher demand here. Our hotel always prices itself very competitively and is able to enjoy very high occupancy as a result.

Best Regards,
Victoria
Reviewed 11 March 2014

the most fantastic breakfast such a huge spread with choices galore
small rooms
Wonderful central location near Greek restaurants
comfy bedsno exhaust fans in teh shower which makes a very steamy area

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Dear Tourham,

I am very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel, and in particular enjoyed the breakfast buffet. The chef is constantly trying new buffet items to ensure consistent variety, so it is wonderful that you found both the choice and quality to a good standard.

The bathrooms are all equipped with exhaust capabilities through a central fan which is located on the roof of the building and ducted throughout. I'm sorry if the exhaust from this didn't provide sufficient suction to remove the steam from the bathroom. We try to find a balance in exhaust capability versus noise from the vent, and will continue to try to perfect that balance.

Thank you again for your review, and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel the next time you choose to visit Melbourne.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I too have booked an executive room - I am actually typing this from the room itself.

The positives;
> Great Location
> Great Staff - The staff are really good on local knowledge and customer service, I was genuinely impressed
> Balcony - such a small thing but great to be able to sit out there and see the views and get some fresh air into the room

The negatives
> no onsite laundry - a dry cleaning service is offered, I find that disappointing to have to find somewhere off site to do your washing. There is ample space on the roof to build a little laundry enclosure.
> Room layout isn't the best - the desk is close to the bed and is not really practical in its location
> Water pressure - like most hotels water saving is a good thing for the environment, however I found having a shower was an effort not a pleasure, further to this I have never seen the point of water restrictors on a tap for a bath - a bath will still use the same amount of water regardless of the speed the water comes out
> Limited power points - I had to ask for a power board as there was only one power point available at the desk. For someone who is on a mix of work and pleasure I required power for a laptop, Ipad, Work phone, personal phone and Internet connection. (again staff were really great in getting me a power board) but not the point - more thought needs to be put in to this.

and finally the reason I am checking out 2 days early and going to another hotel.

there is no privacy here - the noise levels are really unacceptable - literally I can hear everything in the room next door from the TV to the shower to people using the toilet. Every conversation can be heard and it is really off putting been woken at 3am to the sound of a guy having leak in the room next door. I am here on business and intentionally book executive rooms for that privacy. My conversations I don't want or need people to hear them. When I asked staff about it - there was a look of disappointment in their face and the line of - every room is like it here and that has left me with no other option but to cut my losses and go elsewhere. In my eyes this is the biggest problem with this hotel. I can confidently say now I would never come back and only wish the review "don't waste your money was posted at the time of me booking this hotel"

I know management will reply to this and try and down play everything - however I have given an open and honest opinion of what I believe is a true representation of the hotel from my perspective.

I would like to thank the hotel for their time and wish them all the best for the future.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
7 Thank southwa
Dear Southwa,

Thank you for writing a review of your recent stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Melbourne, and I am sorry to read that you didn't enjoy your time with us.

The hotel takes all feedback very seriously, and certainly does not play down negative feedback, we encourage all of it so we can improve our hotel and the services we provide to our guests. I will respond to each of the issues you highlighted individually below:

Guest Laundry: The hotel operated a guest laundry up until 2012, and was located on the roof area, probably in the area you found which you thought would be suitable. It was removed from the hotel for 2 reasons in 2012. Firstly, we were having constant issues with the washing machines (which were supplied by a third party company) and the reliability was of concern. The company supplying the machines wouldn't update them as they weren't getting sufficient usage. So we did a survey on usage, and the second reason we decided to remove them was that they were very rarely used (approximately 1-2 times per week). As you state on your review, the hotel does offer a full service laundry service, and nearby to the hotel (approx. 5 mins walk) there is a laundrette if you wish to do coin laundry instead. Our staff would have been happy to point you in the right direction.

Room Layout: The room in which you stayed was refurbished in 2013, with new bedding, curtains and furniture. Due to the hotel's design, we are limited in the space we have deal with and try to create the most facilities and space within the confines of the room environment. Many of our Executive Rooms are different layouts due to their different locations around the building, and we may have been able to relocate you to another room which suited your needs better. I am sorry that the room you were allocated didn't suit your needs in this regard. The power point issue is feedback that we recently received from another guest as well, and we are planning on installing a larger "gang" of power points behind the desk area soon. I am sorry there weren't sufficient for your needs on this occasion, but I am glad that our team were able to furnish you with a power board without delay.

Water pressure: The hotel has been working hard to resolve the water pressure issue on Level 17. I can assure you that the hotel has no flow inhibitors or water saving devices in these rooms, they have all been removed to try to resolve the flow issue from the showers. In face we are in the process of installing "low pressure" shower heads which seem to be fixing the issue for us.

Privacy: When I initially read your review I was surprised that this was an issue. The hotel's rooms are of double brick construction, and therefore it's very difficult to hear anything from neighbouring rooms. However I note that the room which you were allocated is one of the few interconnecting rooms in the hotel. I assume therefore that the noise you heard was through the gap under the door between the two rooms.

Firstly, this is certainly not ideal that the noise transfer was so great, to the extent that you wished to leave the hotel. I have requested that maintenance have a good look at these doors and install felt and other noise cancelling devices around the doors to restrict this from occurring. Secondly, I apologise that you were not offered an alternative room which is not interconnecting. If you complained regarding the noise then an alternative room should have been offered to you, which I am confident would have resolved the noise issues to your satisfaction. If this was not done, then please accept my apologies. I do not see any notation in your reservation as to the complaint, and none of my Duty Managers remember having a conversation with anyone regarding noise issues, so I am unsure whether it was ever brought to our attention whilst you were here.

Overall, I do apologise that these issues were a major problem for you during your time with us. We always aim for 100% satisfaction with all our guests, and your feedback has given us pause for reflection on what we can do better, to ensure these issues are not repeated.

Executive Assistant Manager

Travellers are raving about these Melbourne hotels

Mansfield, Australia
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Didn't start well. Booked through Hotels.com which was suppose to include bed and breaky. Staff were very supportive but room was old and needs updating (mattress stained,no fridge only wine chiller and was hot and wouldn't chill anything. Ordered a few drinks at the bar and the same Didn't even drink them.. 17th floor I am surprised passes the public liability. We run a business (holiday units) and am very surprised they can pass for their rating in rooms,facilities,especially the 17th floor(pool,fencing etc) for public liability. Staff were very helpful though and great location but wouldn't stay again. Ended up a very expensive weekend.

1 Thank Sally g
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Sally,

Firstly, it is disappointing to hear that you had issues with your reservation through Hotels.com. We typically find our partner websites to be very reliable, but having checked the reservation that was received by the hotel, I can confirm it was a room only rate. I am glad to see that the front desk staff have offered to provide you with a discounted rate on breakfast, and I hope you enjoyed the breakfast buffet.

The room in which you stayed was updated in 2013, including new furniture (including mattress), carpets, curtains and repainting. The bathroom in your room was fully renovated in 2008. I am sorry to read that you found it to be below expectation, and your comments regarding the refrigerator are concerning. I have reported the issue of it not cooling your items to maintenance so they can investigate. I don't quite understand your comments in regards to the bar drinks; were you suggesting that they were also warm? The bar operates with commercial grade refrigerators, and certainly not the ones that are provided in the guest rooms.

I am sorry to read that you didn't enjoy our rooftop swimming pool facilities, which are highly regarded by the vast majority of our guests and was completely renovated in 2012. I must express that your suggestion that the area is a safety risk is completely incorrect. The hotel passes all required codes and is inspected by the City of Melbourne on an annual basis. The hotel is also comprehensively insured, including for public liability. The hotel rooms are independently assessed and rated by AAA Tourism, who have rated the hotel as 4 stars. The last AAA inspection was in July 2013.

Thank you again for your feedback, and once again I am sorry that the hotel didn't completely fulfill your expectations. We hope we can welcome you back one day in the future, and show you a truly "grand experience".

Reviewed 1 March 2014

I got the "Executive room", to be honest I can get better rooms for half the price I paid in that hotel. They oversell themselves. I can't believe the price for the room and doesn't even includes breakfast.
Staff have a loooong way to provide a good service. They hardly smile and welcome you after you return to the premises.
I won't ever go back here and strongly recommend to do some more research before booking in this hotel!!
Really bad experience. Not worth it

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank Luis V
Dear Luis,

I am very concerned to read of your experience at our hotel, that you felt the room was not good value and that the level of guest service provided by our team was below standard.

The Executive Room in which you stayed was comprehensively refurbished in 2013, and provides all new furnishings, carpets and curtains, as well as upgrades to the amenities and bathroom. These rooms have recently been graded as a 4 star product by the independent ratings authority AAA Tourism. Although I am unsure as to the rate you paid for your room, as I cannot find a reservation under the name "Luis" in an Executive Room so far this year, the hotel always provides highly competitive rates in the Melbourne market, which is reflected in our high occupancy and popularity.

Your comments regarding guest service are highly concerning and suprising, and I am sorry if you felt they were below standard. The hotel's staff pride themselves on the level of service they provide our guests, and the feedback we receive is overwhelmingly positive.

We always encourage our guests to research their preferred hotel before booking, and when researching they would find that Hotel Grand Chancellor Melbourne was awarded the Best Mid Range Hotel of Year for 2013, reflecting our dedication to good service and high quality experiences. Once again, I am sorry that your experience did not reflect this.

Thank you for your feedback, and I hope that you choose to stay with us again in the future so we can ensure you a truly "Grand Experience".

Airlie Beach, Australia
Reviewed 22 February 2014

My partner and I stayed at this hotel towards the end of january for five nights. Check in was quick and efficient. Our room was on the front right hand corner of the building when facing the road. I have completely forgotten the room number. The room was one of the superior suites and was on the smaller side of average. I loved the chaise lounge, very comfortable for relaxing. The location was good. Room was cleaned to a good standard, although there was a noticeable stain on one of the dressing gowns. We always made our own bed and kept room tidy, therefore can't really comment on the housekeeping staff. Although they did try their best when I left them a note of a few things that needed attending to. Pool and very small gym was convenient. There was something that had been charged to our room when we left but the receptionist quickly removed that when I said it wasn't ours.
Overall its was what I would expect from a 3star hotel, no complaints or highlights.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Dear Love2Travel,

From the sounds of your review, you stayed in one of our Premier King Rooms, and I am glad to read that you enjoyed your experience. However, I am surprised by your statement that the room was "on the smaller side of average". These rooms are the biggest in the hotel, and are considered to be very generous in size by most of our guests. I am also sorry to read about the stain on the bathrobe. These robes are supplied clean by our linen supplier but it should have been detected by the cleaner who serviced your room.

Thank you again for your review, and I am very pleased you enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you next visit Melbourne.