“Too noisy”

Ranked #95 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney
“Too noisy”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

The rooms at this hotel are actually lovely (despite the foyer and lifts looking quite tired) but I was left feeling completely let down by the following - my phone in my room did not work which meant a time consuming wait to order room service after a very busy day and a late finish; the room service was a basic Thai curry and it was hugely disappointing (although they did waive the service delivery fee due to the phone issue); but by far the worst part was the workman at the front of the building at 6am. I understand the hotel has no control over this but they have control over the double glazing of their front street facing windows - it felt like the truck was parked next to my bedhead. I won't be returning. I could overlook everything if I knew I was going to get a great nights sleep, it was just too noisy at the front of the hotel.

Room Tip: Not at the front of the hotel
2 Thank Kiwi_73_Sydney
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Kiwi,

I am glad to read that you found our rooms to be lovely. It sounds like you were allocated one of our Premier King Rooms which have a lovely outlook facing Lonsdale Street and have been comprehensively refurbished in the past 12 months. The outlook over Lonsdale Street does mean that the noise of the CBD sometimes can be heard from these rooms. You are quite correct in that the hotel has no control over the work that is done in the city streets overnight, but I am sorry that this noise disturbed your rest.

The hotel has considered double glazing in the past, and has decided that although there would be some noise benefit from this being installed, the hotel would also lose the benefit of its opening windows. Many of our guests appreciate the opening windows and the fact you can get fresh air into the rooms, and this is therefore an important feature of the hotel. I have asked Maintenance to check all the windows in the Premier King Rooms to ensure they are properly sealed, so that all excess noise can be restricted as much as possible.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel when you next choose to visit Melbourne.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

The only positive is the location is the best for the theatre end of town . Next street is Chinatown so plenty to do and see . Lonsdale street has a lot offer the tourist . Forget the hotel if your looking for quality , very average and just comfortable . Price is ok for under 150 aud and it is what you pay for. Location is the only saviour for this hotel. Staff are ok but do not seem to go out of of their way for anything .

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank shane a
Dear Shane,

Although I am very glad to read that you found our location to be convenient, and that you enjoyed the facilities that our local neighborhood offers, I am sorry that you didn't find that the hotel was everything you expected.

Although I am unsure of the room type that you booked, for a rate of under $150 I would assume that you reserved one of our entry level Economy Rooms. These offer comfortable accommodation within the city for a reasonable price, as the room description suggests. The hotel has a number of other room types, such as our Executive and Premier King Rooms which provide a much higher level of space or appointment, and you may find these more to your liking. However these rooms are priced a little bit higher.

I am surprised to read of your service experience at the hotel. Our staff pride themselves on the level of service they provide, and always seem to be going above and beyond for our guests. I am sorry if you didn't feel that they did this for you during your stay.

Thank you again for your review, and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel sometime in the future.

Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Starting to show its age but can't fault its location!
Very clean room with everything we needed and had best sleeps we'd had for ages.
Breakfast great but dinner in the restaurant was over priced. The oysters were tiny!!!
Great to have parking in the city, albeit at $20 a day.
We'd stay again:)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FoxyFNQ
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Foxy,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Melbourne. I am very glad to read that you enjoyed your time with us, and found the hotel to meet you expectations.

The hotel as you say is not a brand new building, having being constructed in the late 1960's. However the building has been periodically refurbished over this period, with the most recent, comprehensive refurbishment occurring just last year. The hotel is proud to maintain a AAA four star rating, and is committed to ensuring that we continue to improve the quality and presentation of our product well into the future.

Although I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your breakfast experience, I am surprised that you found our Encore Restaurant to be overpriced. The feedback we generally get from guests in regards to the pricing is very positive, and we offer some great nightly specials including the seafood platter or steak night. The oysters are purchased each day and delivered to us by the seafood supplier. The chef always ensures that he gets the best oysters available on that particular day, and I am sorry if you felt the ones served to you were too small. The oyster variety we sell is typically Coffin Bay oyster, which is normally a bit smaller than the Pacific Oyster you would be used to up in Far North Queensland. We choose these oysters as although they are smaller than the Pacific variety, they offer a superior flavour.

I am glad to read that you found the parking to be convenient, and I assure that $20 for 24hrs of valet parking in a hotel in Melbourne is very good value indeed! Hotel parking in Melbourne can often be over $50 per 24 hrs.

Thank you again for your feedback. We very much look forward to welcoming you back, and hope you had a safe journey home.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

A bad start to what was supposed to be an awesome weekend. We booked a premium king room with breakfast and asked for two single beds. Upon check in they asked for a $100 holding fee which wasn't anywhere on our booking, we came for the shopping so why would we want to give up $100 after this was sorted we head to our room. It was the smallest room I have ever seen. We had two single beds which weren't even made up the bathroom was dirty and had cracks all in the sink and balcony what balcony it was so small . We went to the reception and told them that they made a mistake they told us that we didn't book the premium room and it was a king room which we had paid for and they were the only room types that had single beds. So even if we had booked the most expensive room we would have still gotten a king room because they were the only rooms that had single beds . Their result to upgrade us to a premium room which we had already paid for, for $30. When we got our upgraded room , we were very happy it was what we had paid for.
The breakfast was ok but isn't really worth $21 per person
Another drama happened on our last night it was said on our booking that this hotel had available parking. To our surprise we did not know that this meant that it was $20per day. We parked the car and proceeded to reception to let them know they then asked for out keys to the car. We were very surprised by this and told them we didn't want to as it was a rental car and didn't want anything to happen the reception told us that they didn't control the parking and if we didn't leave the keys that they would wake us up at 3am to ask for the keys to move our car. We didn't understand why they would be moving our car. Again weird and not explained properly.
All in all the hotel is average the staff were average some were nice . The location of this hotel is perfect everything so close and easy to get to. Still I would never stay here again .

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Letitia B
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Letitia.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Melbourne. I am sorry to read that you weren't entirely satisfied with your stay experience at the hotel and as a result I have done some investigation into the issues you raised in your review.

Firstly, you claim in your review that you booked a Premier King Room. I have reviewed the reservation that you made on 03/01/14 through Booking.com and can confirm that you did not reserve a Premier King Room. The room you reserved through that site was a "King Room", one of our entry level Economy Rooms with a King Bed (as opposed to a Double). As a result this is what you were allocated and checked-in to on arrival. The Premier King Room is 5 room types further down the list on Booking.com than the room you booked, and as the most deluxe room type we offer it is significantly more expensive.

The staff on the front desk then offered to upgrade you to the Premier King Room, which is normally $50 per night more expensive than the King Room you booked. They offered to upgrade you to this room type for only $10 per night, after being understanding of your misunderstanding, which I feel is very generous. I am glad to read that you were satisfied with this room once you were upgraded.

Secondly, you state in your review that you didn't feel the breakfast was worth the $21 per person that you paid for it. The reservation that you made through Booking.com was a breakfast inclusive rate, which means you didn't pay $21 per person for breakfast, you paid $15 per person ($30 per night extra on the reservation). We regularly do price checks with our competitor hotels, and we believe that our full buffet breakfast at $21 is the best value in Melbourne, offering a great range of hot and cold options, as well as bakery treats and espresso coffee.

The parking at the hotel is $20 per 24 hour period. This is clearly stated on Booking.com (under Parking on the hotel's page) and all the other websites where we are able to place the pricing on the page (some sites we don't have complete control as to the displayed content). The car park is managed by a 3rd party operator, Care Park, and they offer a valet service from 7am till 11pm throughout the week. As it is a valet service, the car park operator requires the keys to the car so they can manage the car park inventory as best as they can.

From your review, I make the assumption that you returned to the hotel after the car park operator had closed for the night. After hours the keys for all the cars parked are left with the front desk for safekeeping. The front desk staff would have requested your keys so the hotel/car park operator could move your car should it be necessary. The hotel has had issues where cars have been self parked badly by guests in the past, blocking in other cars and causing unfortunate wake up calls in the middle of the night when other guests need to access their vehicles. By keeping hold of the car keys, we can ensure that this does not happen. My apologies if this was not adequately explained to you that night.

Thank you again for your review, and I am sorry you don't feel that you wish to return to the hotel after your stay. We would be delighted to welcome you back to the hotel in the future, and I am sure should you call and speak to our Reservations Department (who can match any rates you find online anyway), they will be able to explain the room types and booking conditions/inclusions for you so you understand them clearly thereby ensuring you a much more positive experience.

Gladstone, Australia
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I recently had a week at the motel whilst in Melbourne for social and work reasons. I have stayed a few times previously and largely go there as it is preferred hotel for work.

Like all places you stay there are positives and negatives.

The positives I find from the Grand Chancellor are the location to the city/restaurants/theatres/etc, the staff are always offering to help and the food at the breakfasts has always been great. The view from the pool area on top are great also.

The negatives are the showers, small fridge capability and if you get a room that can interconnect, it does allow noise transfer...be aware of that.

The good news is that the hotel understands what it needs to work on (you can read other entries for the hotel and the managers responses to see this), and they are working to address these.

Thanks for the hospitality and hope to return soon.

Room Tip: Avoid interconnecting room is probably it. Noise from the street is not an issue and there isn'...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear Allan,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stays at Hotel Grand Chancellor Melbourne.

I am glad to read that you enjoy your stays with us, and that you find the rooms and guest service to be of a high standard. Our staff pride themselves on the level of service they provide to our guests, so it is wonderful to see that being appreciated.

Your comments in regards to the inter-connecting rooms is noted, and our maintenance team are currently working on ways to reduce the noise transfer between these rooms. Hopefully this will resolve it to all our guest's satisfaction.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel next time you come to Melbourne!

Best Regards,
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Have stayed here before so was looking forward to another visit. But the room was shabby, curtains dirty, bathroom dirty, towels not changed each day, mattress had springs that pushed into me. Carpets stained and not clean and walls scuffed. A redeeming feature was the pool on the roof which was very nice. The food in the dining room for dinner was expensive and lacking in quality (go look for a place outside). The price was for my stay reasonable and the staff were excellent but I'm prepared to pay more for a reasonable standard hotel, one that is not going downhill.

1 Thank Toby_and_Celeste
Dear Toby & Celeste,

Thank you for posting another review of your stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Melbourne.

I am sorry to read that you found your most recent stay less satisfactory than your previous experiences, and am surprised to read of your description of the room and the bathroom. The hotel has been working very hard on refurbishment over the past 12-24 months, and the hotel has improved the quality of its rooms across all room types comprehensively in that time.

As a result of this work, the hotel has seen satisfaction improved dramatically, as well as our occupancy. The hotel is certainly not one which is gong downhill as you suggested, we are going from strength to strength. The experience that you describe certainly sounds atypical of one of our rooms, and the bed comfort is of particular concern as our beds are less than 12 months old.

I would be keen to inspect the room in which you stayed, but I can find no record of any stay over the period noted under either of your names. I would be very appreciative if you could contact me directly and provide the booking details, as I would like to personally confirm the condition of this room is up to the hotel's required standard.

Thank you again for your review of our hotel, and we hope that we can welcome you back in the future.

Executive Assistant Manager

Travellers are raving about these Melbourne hotels

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 20 March 2014

on arrival we were offered a free upgrade to a spa suite . the only downside was that we could see into our neighboring residents lounge from our window........ bed was so comfy we had the best nights sleep.no traffic noise at all. went up to the rooftop pool how very relaxing! we ate the seafood platter for 2 at their own restaurant ohhhh so divine fresh fresh fresh! very lovely wait staff and employees overall . brekky the next day had a lot to choose from all hot and plentiful. will be coming back!!

Room Tip: we had a street view corner room which was quiet so id reccomend one of those
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Dear Donna,

I am very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that the Superior Spa Room offered you a comfortable night's sleep.

It's great to see you dined with us as well and enjoyed the seafood platter special. These are great value and the freshness of the seafood makes it delicious. Very glad to read you enjoyed it!

Thank you for choosing to stay with Hotel Grand Chancellor Melbourne, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.