“Nice, big apartments...”

Best Western Riverside Apartments
Ranked #132 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 13 December 2011

I stayed at these apartments for just 2 nights with my close friend on our 'degustation' trip to Melbourne. I wanted this place as it was close to everything and had two bedrooms with (what I thought was) two double beds.

Unfortunately, despite everything else in the apartment being great, and the staff being very helpful, I discovered soon after arriving that the 2nd double bed in the larger room which I had, was just two single beds pushed together. I didn't end up getting the time to ask for that to be rectified (not that I think it could have been) but I would have preferred two singles left separate rather than pushed together in such an uncomfortable way. I survived but was a bit disappointed with this.

I also knew the place was very close to King St in Melbourne where all the noisiest clubs are, but I had thought the double glazing would keep that noise out. On the Saturday night, it didn't, and the clubs go all night - so unless you're into that, don't expect too much quiet over the weekend. By the Sunday night, it was great and quiet, just slight traffic noise. We had the West side of the bldg so we had a lovely view over the Yarra and daily sunsets.

Other than those two things, everything was great. You have everything you need there, even if it's not the very latest model. Everything works well and there's heaps of room. I think even the two lounges converted to beds!

I would recommend this place, with the caveat that you be aware of the bedding and noise situation. The staff could not have been more friendly nor more helpful. The car service to the airport is reasonable and invaluable!

So, give it a go.

Room Tip: I think rooms on the East would be quieter as they're away from King Street.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 24 October 2011

Avoid the terrible car park and park next door which is much cheaper. When we damaged our car getting out of the very tiny car park as there were no spots left we were blamed for having a big car and were told we should have parked next door. When we queried why we were not told this we were advised human error. We were also advised it was human error when we were put in a dirty dungeon room after paying for a room with views of river and casino. This was eventually rectified. We were also advised human error when we asked why our car spot which we had paid for was not there when we arrived back. This was all by a senior manager obvioulsy with no training in customer service..

Whilst the rooms were great as well as the general staff the management were extremley hostile and became verbally agressive with raised voice when we dared to complain about the damage to our car in car park. Senior management need customer service training and quickly

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Donna I
Reviewed 24 September 2011

This is a modern family friendly apartment Hotel. Staff are very helpful. Apartment was very spacious & clean. Amazing views of the city and river from room 1629. Stairs on entry, not great for prams or wheelchairs although there is a ramp in from the office carpark next door. A good idea to prearrange woolworths or coles homeshop to deliver for your arrivsl as the 7/11 & mini city grocery store nearby are expensive. Breakfast can be delivered Mon to Fri but weekends you will need to cook your own or walk up the road to find a cafe.

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank ascheef
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Dont'arrive earlier than check-in time! If you are lucky 12.00 maybe as late as 14.00. There is limited space to store bags if you arrive early. Book early for a car parking space and DON'T park on the streets nearby. The street meter parking has many limitations and the fine is AUD 61 ( yes they caught me!).You do not need a car in Melbourne. Immediately buy a weekly stored value ( MyKi card), which will cover all trains/trams and buses. The location is ideal for train stations and a short walk from the city centre and all the shops and entertainment. A stroll across the river to the casino, or a cruise down it ( even a helipad!). Its nice to have your own place to eat a take-away meal or do a little cooking for a change. Talk to the front desk to book the airport car on day of leaving. Its a fixed rate and pleasant driver and good service.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank S_J_Whitworth
Reviewed 26 July 2011

I have stayed at these self-contained apartments a number times during short stays in Melbourne.

I find the location very convenient, the staff helpful and the rooms perfectly adequate.

Although it is nothing to write home about, it is a solid, cheaper option for short stays whilst in Melbourne.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jacsicle_10
Reviewed 7 July 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights. The check-in was flawless and the cheerful gorgeous young girl at reception worked hard to get us an early check-in after a long overnight flight. The apartment itself was modern and clean and fully-equipped. The bed and the linens were comfier and of a better quality than what we have at home. One small gripe might be the state of the lift lobby (separate from the hotel lobby) as it was dirty and dated but overall Riverside Apartments exceeded our expectations. Great location and the Ghurka's Nepalese Restaurant downstairs was divine!!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BeesonFamily
Reviewed 23 June 2011

My partner and I stayed here in December 2010. It was my first choice to return to with my girlfriends for a shopping holiday and visit the Pharoah exhibition. Firstly I was pleased to be able to secure the same apartment as before. Overlooking the gas fires outside the Casino on the other side of the river. An hourly spectacular show at night. Trams and trains conveniently at the end of the Lane. The apartment was as before: crisply clean with very comfortable lounge and dining furniture. Staff at front desk extremely helpful with all our touristy enquiries, and very accommodating when one of our party fell ill on the day of our return travel. Looking forward to next year's trip !!!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends