“A truly relaxing stay”

Ranked #23 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne
“A truly relaxing stay”
Reviewed 14 April 2013

I live in Melbourne but booked to stay at the Grand Hyatt as a last minute solo getaway treat before the school holidays began. Even though I booked on a great deal through a third party I received nothing but 5 star service. Checkin was quick and friendly, being allocated my room early and offered a late checkout without fuss. I was amazed to later receive fresh fruit, chocolates and a personalised card from Su, who had checked me in, which referred directly to our conversation a few hours previously - this was a true reflection that as a guest I was not just another name on a computer screen. I made good use of the amazing gym facilities - the hotel has what must be the best hotel gym in Australia, coupled with pool, spa, steam room and sauna - plus changing rooms fit for a private boutique. The girl on reception at the gym was amazing, showing me around and answering my numerous, sometimes inane, questions professionally and patiently.

I didn't eat in the restaurant but ordered room service in the evening. This came in good time, was professionally delivered and was tasty - though the fish option could do with "something on the side" to accompany it.

The rooms themselves are huge compared to many other hotels I have visited. I loved the layout with the bed facing the floor to ceiling windows and especially the cute seating area near the window. Similarly the bathroom was modern and spotless, and I loved having BOTH a good sized bath and separate shower.

I have stayed mainly at 4.5 star hotels in Australia (which the exception of a self-graded 5 star hotel in Melbourne) and I have to say I felt the Grand Hyatt fully earn't its extra half a star. The only improvements I would like to see is free wifi (please please Australian hotels - find a way to offer this!) and someone on "door duty" when you arrive (I am used to Asian hotels where you cannot move without someone opening a door for you :) ) but on the whole I had a thoroughly enjoying night away.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
GrandHyattMelbourne, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Dear howjac ,

Thank you for your kind words on your stay at Grand Hyatt. We really enjoy reading the anecdotal stories from our guests, as they often go unheard. Our staff really go that extra mile to make sure you feel truly welcome, offering a home away from home. As for your comments on wi-fi, this is being looked at across the hotel industry in Australia. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (572)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 14 April 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at this hotel last year after booking a mystery deal on wotif. Everything was fantastic!

The staff were very professional and nothing was a problem. The batteries in my remote went flat and we called up for new ones. The next day we had a bottle of wine and an apology note from the hotel. This was totally unnecessary but a nice surprise.

Have just booked another stay and can't wait to go back to the breakfast buffet. It's amazing!

• Stayed May 2012
Dear Ozdickie,

What a great mystery prize! There’s nothing better than spending a surprise Grand Night In at the Grand Hyatt.

Glad to hear that you’ll be back for the best buffet breakfast in town! Til next time.
Derby
Reviewed 13 April 2013

The room was well laid out, spacious and a comfortable bed. There were lots of noise at night, mainly from the street but some from the hotel maintenance team who seemed to carry out their work at night. The shower floor was very slippy so ask for a bath mat. Breakfast was $40. WiFi was expensive as was the food and wine. The staff were helpful and obliging. Nice hotel.Good location.

Room Tip: The higher floors have less noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Dear jonnytrip

Thank you for your candid feedback . Whilst our beds are renowned for their blissful comfort, it’s disappointing to hear that this was marred by noisy hotel works during the evening. That aside, we’re pleased that the staff were attentive and accommodating throughout your stay.
Reviewed 13 April 2013 via mobile

Have stayed here a number of times now and unfortunately have to say this will be the last. Never been offered an upgrade once even though have stayed Club level every time. Air conditioning struggles even in the better rooms. Never any acknowledgement of prior stays at the hotel (unlike almost every other hotel I stay in on frequent business travel). Staff not personable as a general rule (there are exceptions).Last stay I actually called downstairs and complained that the room and bathroom in particular smelling strongly of cigarette smoke met with scepticism (even if I am wrong I should be treated as if I am right paying these rates at this level). No wine in bar fridge. Service slow. WOw - never expected this from any Hyatt and previously thought they may be exceptions - but after my sixth stay now have come to realise its the way things are at this hotel..sadly..

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Dillon H
Dear Dillon H,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay and it’s dissatisfying to hear that our performance has fallen well short of your expectations. Being a frequent guest and busy traveller, you should have been treated with the polish, respect and familiarity that you expect from a 5-star hotel . We apologise that our service was not up to scratch and greatly appreciate your detailed comments as they are a valuable learning opportunity for us to get things right.
Auroville, India
Reviewed 12 April 2013

I stayed recently after many years break since last staying here. Of course the location is the same and the rooms have been changed but the problem is that the staff have changed too and they are simply not as good as they were or as they should be. If you read other reviews it would seem that many agree with this. Of course this can be easily improved with training and development however it does seem that this problem is across many areas of the hotel. This then introduces the question of why are them management not recognising this. But it's still a Hyatt and there are many very good things too but the fact is service is a major let-down.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Dear npk123

Thank you for revisiting our hotel after many years and we are sorry to learn that whilst the hotel has so many great experiences on offer, that this was let down by poor service. We pride ourselves on providing genuine hospitality and impeccable service and we failed to deliver on this promise. We hope you come and stay with us again, so we can give you a seamless friendly experience next time.
Reviewed 11 April 2013 via mobile

My husband & I stayed last month whilst he was on conference, and after a very disappointing Spa experience I left feeling angry. Having sat down and taken the time to write an email to hotel management, I am disappointed I have not yet recieved a response, where as scrolling through reviews on trip advisor you are happy to respond publicly to any negative feedback.

Positive feedback on the hotel itself, our bed was oh so comfy. Like sleeping in a giant cloud! Breakfast buffet was also good although service dismal especially from a lady who seemed to be in charge at the time.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear SJCJAE,

We appreciate the time you have taken to write this review and disappointed that you have not received a timely response from the hotel regarding your critique. On the upside, our beds are blissfully comfortable allowing for a heavenly sleep! We love your similie, because it is like sleeping on a giant cloud! We hope you choose to stay with us again and allow us to deliver a memorable stay for all the right reasons.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Our stay was pleasant however a few small flaws let the hotel down. Our room was not turned down so we returned to a messy room. Cleanliness of rooms could be improved. Although the swimming facilities were great, offering guest 3 water temperature options, the pool mirrors were a disgrace. Staff at the gym were un helpful, towels were torn and looked like old rags. When asked where to return used gym towels, staff at the counter did not take the towel from us but told us to drop them in the towel bin that was about a metre away from where they were standing. Overall a nice hotel however the service on this occasion really let it down. If you want luxury, go to crown towers.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear mytravelreview49,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review.

Whilst it’s pleasing to hear that you enjoyed your stay, it is disappointing that our service was lacking on a couple of occasions. It is the little things that count which can turn a great visit into an extraordinary one. It’s also these same things that can let you down.

We do hope to see you back again so we can give you the 5-star service that truly reflects the Grand Hyatt promise.