“Staff really tried but it wasn't enough”

Grand Hyatt Melbourne
Ranked #23 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
London
“Staff really tried but it wasn't enough”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I stayed for 2 nights for work and given it's 5 star rating was expecting excellence. I had stayed over 10 years ago and noted back then that the rooms were quite small.

Unfortunately, nothing has changed on that front.

The things that were great about the hotel:
- Location (so close to the awesome Flinders Lane and near lots of shopping)
- Friendly staff who tried to rectify things that went wrong
- Excellent lobby bar/restaurant
- Great gym and health centre available for hotel guests to use

The things that weren't so great during my stay:
- Noisy plumbing which meant I could hear when neighbours were showering or flushing the toilet
- I could hear loud talkers in the hallway (waking me up even though I was wearing ear plugs)
- Never received a breakfast order form and when I did receive one after asking for it, I hung it on my door knob but no one came to collect it. So breakfast didn't come when I requested it (staff were great and managed to get me a breakfast in 15 minutes - although it was a bit cold)
- Shower sealant at the bottom of the shower screen was peeling off and brown
- On my second day I returned from work at 4.45pm and realised my room had not been cleaned. I called for this and they came straight away (although having to wait for it to be cleaned after a tiring day wasn't ideal)

All of which does not make this a 5 star experience.

I give credit to the Hyatt's manager who did contact me personally to apologise for the above shortfalls when I completed a post stay survey. That's a good sign of caring about their customer service.
The only problem is that these issues should not have happened in the first place, especially during such a short stay.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
GrandHyattMelbourne, Front Office Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear AussieLondon362,

Thank you for taking the time to deliver some candid feedback on your recent hotel experience. We would like to extend our sincere apologies for any disruption to your stay due to plumbing noise from surrounding rooms. We have shared your constructive feedback with our Director of Engineering, who together with his team are working towards determining a suitable solution for this sound generation. We are also currently experimenting various methods of reducing the noise from surrounding rooms and hallways.

The shortfall of service delivery during your stay was completely unsatisfactory and not a true reflection of our usual high standards. We would like to assure that what you have highlighted has been addressed accordingly with the teams concerned.

We do hope that despite this unfortunate sequence of events that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to experience the 5-star service we do pride ourselves on.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (572)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, AU
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Exceptional hotel. The service at this hotel is truly a breath of fresh air. The staff are friendly, helpful, professional and efficient. I was greeted warmly, immediately made to feel welcome and was very well looked after for the full duration of my stay. I would highly recommend the Grand Hyatt Melbourne - excellent in every way.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Every time I'm in Melbourne, i enjoy staying here as it feels like i'm coming home from the welcome of the concierge, to the friendly reception checking you in and the great service provided by the food and beverage team.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Enjoyable stay in a professionally managed but friendly hotel. Good facilities for my 8 day stay. Great concierge help. The rooms are spacious with good housekeeping standards. Very convenient location in the heart of Melbourne.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo

Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Excellent location close to shopping.Amazing views from our club room.Very clean and the house keeping staff very helpful.The food in the club lounge was not as good as last time.The walls in the room are paper thin and you can here everything in the rooms next door.We won't stay again because of this.

Room Tip: Club room great but walls paper thin.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Perth Hills, Australia
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Good location and nice downstairs bar, lobby etc. The room was OK - fairly basic considering the cost. But what was disappointing was that there was a reasonable amount of maintenance that hadn't been done on the room and it was near the lifts, which meant that everytime the lifts went past we were woken up.

Maybe they could look into soundproofing a bit more and doing a check list of the room to ensure its up to standard.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away from the lifts as possible.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
GrandHyattMelbourne, Front Office Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Raven920,

Thank you for advising us of your experience with the room, we will advise our Director of Rooms accordingly. We continually look to feedback such as yours to improve and ensure our 5 star service reflects in all aspects.
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night because we had a function in the city. King room with an awesome view. Very comfy bed, nice bathrooms, great table set up next to the window. The service was also great. One of the bet hotels I have stayed in! The highlight was the buffet breakfast. The very best I have ever had, especially the bacon!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Jessi A,

We are delighted to hear that you had a fantastic experience with us at Grand Hyatt Melbourne. The buffet breakfast is indeed, a highlight for many of our guests. We look forward to seeing you on your next stay and perhaps you can tell us what you think of the afternoon tea then.