I stayed for 2 nights for work and given it's 5 star rating was expecting excellence. I had stayed over 10 years ago and noted back then that the rooms were quite small.
Unfortunately, nothing has changed on that front.
The things that were great about the hotel:
- Location (so close to the awesome Flinders Lane and near lots of shopping)
- Friendly staff who tried to rectify things that went wrong
- Excellent lobby bar/restaurant
- Great gym and health centre available for hotel guests to use
The things that weren't so great during my stay:
- Noisy plumbing which meant I could hear when neighbours were showering or flushing the toilet
- I could hear loud talkers in the hallway (waking me up even though I was wearing ear plugs)
- Never received a breakfast order form and when I did receive one after asking for it, I hung it on my door knob but no one came to collect it. So breakfast didn't come when I requested it (staff were great and managed to get me a breakfast in 15 minutes - although it was a bit cold)
- Shower sealant at the bottom of the shower screen was peeling off and brown
- On my second day I returned from work at 4.45pm and realised my room had not been cleaned. I called for this and they came straight away (although having to wait for it to be cleaned after a tiring day wasn't ideal)
All of which does not make this a 5 star experience.
I give credit to the Hyatt's manager who did contact me personally to apologise for the above shortfalls when I completed a post stay survey. That's a good sign of caring about their customer service.
The only problem is that these issues should not have happened in the first place, especially during such a short stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Hyatt Melbourne hotel is a 5-star hotel on Collins Street in the centre of CBD, business, luxury shopping, theatre and restaurant district. The hotel is located within walking distance of Princess Theatre, Federation Square and Southgate. The hotel provides 548 rooms and suites with extensive meeting rooms and event facilities, spectacular upper and lower lobbies, the restaurant, Collins Kitchen, the bar, RU-CO, as well as an exclusive retail environment and innovative events venue, the residence. Guests booking into Club accommodation will enjoy all the benefits of the Grand Club lounge including personalised express check in and check-out, deluxe continental breakfast, all day refreshments, evening drinks with canapes and private meeting areas. For meetings and events, Grand Hyatt Melbourne offers the perfect combination of first-class function rooms, outstanding services and a range of flexible packages. For weddings our Melbourne hotel offers a range of romantic rooms for your special day. Grand Hyatt Melbourne also offers all guests' access to City Club Health & Fitness 24/7. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Southall Travel, Ebookers, Agoda, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., TravelUp, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Hyatt Melbourne reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hyatt Melbourne Hotel Melbourne
- Melbourne Grand Hyatt
- Hyatt Melbourne
- Melbourne Hyatt