“OH SNAP -BEST HOTEL I HAVE STAYED IN”

Grand Hyatt Melbourne
Ranked #23 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I have stayed in some wonderful hotels around the world and until recently there was going to be no hotel that would have beaten the Westin in Sydney for location, value and everything else associated with 5 star quality. Well I stand corrected. The Grand Hyatt is AWESOME! The staff are so very helpful and friendly. They took an interest in what I do with my photography and each time I returned to the hotel, they enquired as to my day and took a genuine interest. From the moment I got out of the car, to the moment I leave tomorrow....this place is beyond 5 stars. Superb location...the grilled chicken is superb and the staff are brilliant. Best yet!!!!

Room Tip: Anything overlooking the city.....
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
GrandHyattMelbourne, Front Office Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Leslie,

Thank you for your uplifting review. If you would be happy to share some photography shots, we would love to see them. We will make sure the Food and Beverage team hear of your dining experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,468)

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Excellent hotel. Not cheap but service and overall quality excellent. Very comfortable bed, decent club lounge. Well located in central Melbourne and the rooms had decent views of the city (I stayed a couple of times in the month).

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank PickyglobetrotterUk
GrandHyattMelbourne, Front Office Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear PickyglobetrotterUk,

Thank you for your positive review. We always strive to ensure our guests experience the 5 star service from all aspects. Please feel free to contact our Concierge to ensure you see the very best of Melbourne, the hidden secrets that only locals would know, upon your next visit.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I stayed for 2 nights for work and given it's 5 star rating was expecting excellence. I had stayed over 10 years ago and noted back then that the rooms were quite small.

Unfortunately, nothing has changed on that front.

The things that were great about the hotel:
- Location (so close to the awesome Flinders Lane and near lots of shopping)
- Friendly staff who tried to rectify things that went wrong
- Excellent lobby bar/restaurant
- Great gym and health centre available for hotel guests to use

The things that weren't so great during my stay:
- Noisy plumbing which meant I could hear when neighbours were showering or flushing the toilet
- I could hear loud talkers in the hallway (waking me up even though I was wearing ear plugs)
- Never received a breakfast order form and when I did receive one after asking for it, I hung it on my door knob but no one came to collect it. So breakfast didn't come when I requested it (staff were great and managed to get me a breakfast in 15 minutes - although it was a bit cold)
- Shower sealant at the bottom of the shower screen was peeling off and brown
- On my second day I returned from work at 4.45pm and realised my room had not been cleaned. I called for this and they came straight away (although having to wait for it to be cleaned after a tiring day wasn't ideal)

All of which does not make this a 5 star experience.

I give credit to the Hyatt's manager who did contact me personally to apologise for the above shortfalls when I completed a post stay survey. That's a good sign of caring about their customer service.
The only problem is that these issues should not have happened in the first place, especially during such a short stay.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
GrandHyattMelbourne, Front Office Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Dear AussieLondon362,

Thank you for taking the time to deliver some candid feedback on your recent hotel experience. We would like to extend our sincere apologies for any disruption to your stay due to plumbing noise from surrounding rooms. We have shared your constructive feedback with our Director of Engineering, who together with his team are working towards determining a suitable solution for this sound generation. We are also currently experimenting various methods of reducing the noise from surrounding rooms and hallways.

The shortfall of service delivery during your stay was completely unsatisfactory and not a true reflection of our usual high standards. We would like to assure that what you have highlighted has been addressed accordingly with the teams concerned.

We do hope that despite this unfortunate sequence of events that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to experience the 5-star service we do pride ourselves on.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Exceptional hotel. The service at this hotel is truly a breath of fresh air. The staff are friendly, helpful, professional and efficient. I was greeted warmly, immediately made to feel welcome and was very well looked after for the full duration of my stay. I would highly recommend the Grand Hyatt Melbourne - excellent in every way.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Every time I'm in Melbourne, i enjoy staying here as it feels like i'm coming home from the welcome of the concierge, to the friendly reception checking you in and the great service provided by the food and beverage team.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Enjoyable stay in a professionally managed but friendly hotel. Good facilities for my 8 day stay. Great concierge help. The rooms are spacious with good housekeeping standards. Very convenient location in the heart of Melbourne.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Excellent location close to shopping.Amazing views from our club room.Very clean and the house keeping staff very helpful.The food in the club lounge was not as good as last time.The walls in the room are paper thin and you can here everything in the rooms next door.We won't stay again because of this.

Room Tip: Club room great but walls paper thin.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple