“OK accommodations in Melbourne's CBD”

ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel
Ranked #134 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Winthrop, Massachusetts
“OK accommodations in Melbourne's CBD”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Our stay at Ibis Styles Kingsgate was pleasant enough. It's very basic, but a few things -- like hooks for towels or a mirror in the room -- would go a long way and not cost the hotel much. The basic complimentary breakfast was perfectly adequate. Check-in was seemless and the people behind the front desk were very pleasant and helpful, especially Nick. The hotel is located on the edge of the CBD, so it can be a good 15-20 minute walk from one end to the other depending where you're going. If you want a good, basic, affordable option in Melbourne, then I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
GMKingsgate, Manager at ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear Gigharmon

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team and pass your feedback onto Nick, I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

ibis Styles Kingsgate General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Morwell
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Great location close to Shopping football and public transport. Old style but clean rooms reasonable size. Quiet. Some Reception staff could improve their customer service skills greatly. Room service staff very helpful. TV fixed straight away. Worth a go and current reduced rates

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Saintlinda,

I apologise for any problems that you had with our staff at the hotel. Our staff are friendly, diligent and helpful but there are some occasions when the hotel is busy where service can be slow and below average. This doesn’t happen often and I’m very sorry.

I once again thank you for your comments as it allows us to better improve our hotel for you and for our future guests.

Geelong, Australia
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I stayed here during the week, and was happy with the experience.
The location is really convenient.
The room was cosy and clean with a good AC, although there was some rubbish outside the window from previous residents.
The bed was comfortable and there was not much noise.
The staff were pleasant and helpful.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Dear Josh S,

Wodonga, Australia
Reviewed 27 November 2013

not a good place for and older folk the room was noisy near a fire escape exit with a water running all night plus the toilet was running and out the tiny window was all the power generators etc I had booked 2weeks before meant for 2 but ended up on my own TV didn't work properly even tho I complained I still had to pay for breakfast plus I have been a member of Accor for along time and never had a good free night by you the only place I stayed was at Sofitel but it was a payed special but the only free thing was a drink and a chocolate so it's the last time as a member for me It worked out too expensive this year I paid over $400 for Myself and Daughter got no value

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Dear Kay T,

Thank you for your feedback and I’m sorry that your stay at the ibis Styles Kingsgate didn’t meet your expectations.

I apologise for the extra noise from within the hotel, we are looking to what may be the cause, I have also address your concerns with the maintenance team to ensure all electrical appliances are fully operational.

Thanks again for the feedback and I hope that if we do welcome you back to our hotel that we are able to provide a more enjoyable stay.

ibis Styles Kingsgate General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Melbourne hotels

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I have stayed in many ibis hotels, but this one was certainly the worst. The good points were, nice shower, comfy beds and a good value breakfast. The bad points were the room itself! The room was small, very little space for clothing, and only three coat hangers, that was for three people. Cleaners didn't remove rubbish and beds only made if they felt like it. Be warned!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

GMKingsgate, Manager at ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear Julie C,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the ibis Styles Kingsgate. We’re disappointed to hear that you were unhappy with your time with us.

I have alerted housekeeping regarding your concerns in room servicing, this is unacceptable and I sincerely apologise.

Thank you for the positive feedback in terms of bed quality, shower and our breakfast service.

I appreciate you sharing your concerns and I hope that you will give the ibis Styles Kingsgate the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Unfortunately my regular Melbourne hotel was booked out so I ended up at the Ibis Kingsway. Although room 245 was large by hotel standards, it had a double bed and two single beds, the room was old, furniture basic. The internet(wired as wireless was useless) was next to the bed which required the use of the bed side table as the desk, not great for working for any period of time. There is a small step between room and basic bathroom, there is no warning and on the first occasion to the shower, I stumbled into the bathroom almost turning my ankle, a real safety concern guys! The positive point the the Ibis, the staff are friendly at reception and they have a difficult product to sell. I understand that Ibis is a budget brand however this one needs some serious investment.

Room Tip: Room 245 is at the back so no road noise and it is big, really big
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Steveyinasia,

Our refurbishment of 2010 has tried to retain the elegance of the 1926 building while also modernising our rooms. To ensure you have the most up to date room type I would recommend booking one of our Superior rooms or asking reception whether a room change is available.