“Budget Hotel, Melbourne”

Ranked #134 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Budget Hotel, Melbourne”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Good budget hotel in the heart of the city. Was a bit noisy outside as it seemed to have city work in progress. Basic room but ok for short stay.Good french restaurant attached with special in house 2 course deal for AUST$35

Room Tip: Away from street
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jagman100_11
GMKingsgate, Manager at ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Jagman100_11,

I am pleased to read that our hotel suited your needs and that you were able to take advantage of the great deal we have with the Bergerac Restaurant. We hope you welcome you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.

ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Vacoas, Africa
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Room is not fancy but for the price we paid,was ok.we had a little issue with the wc and were pleased to be moved quickly to a better room.customer service was top lvl.decent size breakfast even without breskfast option.overall I would recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Nil D,

Thank you for choosing ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel for your recent visit to Melbourne. I am pleased to read that we were able to rectify the issue you encountered and your comments about our staff as we are always striving to offer the best possible level of service.

Auckland
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

I look at a lot of these reviews and wonder what these people expected when they picked ibis. I stayed here because I wasn't going to be in my room a lot.
The room is reasonably quiet (if you are use to the city) it was defiantly clean (good work hsk) and the front desk staff were great! Breakfast wasn't a grand affair, but it tasted fine and served it's purpose.
Truth is, if you want the luxurious hotel experience, Accor can offer a range of high end properties, and Melbourne have some incredible properties. but you will be paying ALOT more for them.
I use to work for Accor so I'm their worst critique, I know when they aren't getting it right and somebody isn't doing their job. Accor have invested their excellent training in their staff at this property. Pick this property if you want a cheap, secure, friendly location, close to shopping and transport. If you want the best hotel in town, well go pay a fortune on the yarra river. I can promise you, there are plenty of other properties at a similar or smaller price who don't have an international reputation to protect and will not look after you as well.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank crystalnoirh
Dear crystalnoirh,

Thank you for your providing your feedback, it is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 23 June 2014

the gamble. the place is hit or miss 5 of us shared two rooms for a 21st weekend 1 room was clean modern with what you expected for the price, the other was old & run down, resembling a crack den, smelt like cigarettes and sewerage

Room Tip: get an upgrade
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear camo_36,

Thank you for choosing ibis Styles Kingsgate Melbourne and for taking the time to offer your feedback, it is greatly appreciated. It is our normal practice that if guests are travelling together both rooms receive a complimentary upgrade, please accept my sincerest apologies that this did not happen on this occasion. Please be assured the issues you have raised have been addressed with the relevant departments.

ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel

Travellers are raving about these Melbourne hotels

Wellington
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I only stayed a couple of night following a business trip so chose the Kingsgate based on it being around the corner from where I was staying for work – its very convenient to Southern Cross station, but a bit of a hike to the main shopping precinct where David Jones and Myers etc are based – maybe 10-15 minutes walk?

The surrounding streets feel a bit deserted at night but the area is safe, one thing to keep in mind is that the photos of the rooms on their website aren’t necessarily what you will get when you turn up! I found my room quite small, and like other guests noted a very old bathroom, furnishings which were quite dated and only one power point available – its obviously an older hotel, and efforts have been made in the public areas, but the room was out of a time warp.
I liked the public areas, all wood panelling but with all the modern comforts. I liked the service, the people at reception were very friendly and accommodating, but the sleep quality was pretty poor as the fire stop doors slam and the walls are so thin that you could hear conversations in other rooms – I was glad to have my earplugs!

Being a smoker I appreciated the fact that there was a smokers balcony on the first floor, and as mentioned the staff were really nice, but unfortunately those thin walls and dated rooms would put me off staying any length of time again – Ibis does have better options for sleep quality than the Kingsgate.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear KiwiKong,

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay at the ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel, Please accept my sincerest apologies that the room was not to your expectations. We do offer a variety of room types which may better suit your needs. On your next visit with us please see reception and if available we would like to offer you a complimentary upgrade to one of our recently refurbished rooms.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Nice location a block from Southern Cross and friendly staff but everything else was well below expectations. It's certainly not that cheap as there are plenty of similarly priced hotels that are miles better in Melbourne CBD.

What really bugged me was the NOISE! All night! I'm assuming it's from a nearby pub given the type of noise, then the banging of the pub clean-up, rubbish collection, everything. Woken up a few times during the night. I was too exhausted to really notice but can't imagine what it would've been like on a normal night ...

Recent full renovations didn't really help this hotel, still feels like one of those funky renovated hostels. Rooms small and very dark, old school heater couldn't be turned off, and you couldn't really leave the window open given the proximity of the external stairs (fire escape). To be honest, barely tolerable.
Never again!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
GMKingsgate, Manager at ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Dear Kitkat271,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay, I'm sorry that you stay with us didn't meet your expectations, our prime location sometimes means we are troubled by external noises from nearby pubs on key weekends, We are working to address the noise issues which challenge our guests’ ability to have a peaceful stay in our hotel. Your feedback is helpful and it is something we can tangibly use in submissions to the Melbourne City Council.

Barwon Heads, Australia
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Firstly, if I was allowed to give half-stars, I would have rated this three-and-a-half, not three.
I wanted to attend a footy match at the MCG on a Friday night and have a few beers so I just wanted a cheap bed for the night before heading back home to the country the next day.
This placed delivered the goods.
Melbourne's hotel occupancy was very busy this weekend, but I managed to find this place for $120 through a hotel booking engine search.
A five- to 10-minute walk from Southern Cross Station, check-in was smooth and hassle-free. My room was on the 1st floor and it was very small, but perfectly fine. Bed was comfy enough. TV worked fine and climate control was excellent. bathroom was old, but shower was nice and hot and water pressure excellent.
It looks and feel like a backpackers hostel, but it's not. The rooms are perfectly fine if you want a bed for the night in a good location and nothing more.
I'll definitely keep this place in mind next time I want to flop for the night after a few too many beers with the lads.

Room Tip: The hotel is on King St, with plenty of strip bars etc which can get dodgy late at night, especially...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank puntrd
Dear Puntrd,

Thank you for providing feedback on you recent stay, so glad to hear you enjoyed you stay with us, please ask reception next time your visiting about our more refurbished superior rooms which may better suit your needs.