“Great stay, couldn't fault this hotel”

InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
Ranked #35 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
london
“Great stay, couldn't fault this hotel”
Reviewed 19 September 2011

My five year old boy and I just spent the weekend, Sat and Sun night, at this hotel. It was just great- we do a lot of travelling and the servcie at this hotel was flawless. it was spotless; everything we ate in the restaurant was excellent; the staff were all attentive, friendly and accommodating in every way; the pool and gym ore of a good standard; the hotel was quiet but well located; the building is stunning. Plus we recevied a double upgrade when I requested a room with a bath, which I was really impressed with. We had a fabulous, relaxing stay and will definitely be back.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank nooshie
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, 20 September 2011
Dear nooshie,
Thank you so much for sharing with us your lovely review. It made me so happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to make use of so many of the hotel facilities.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon to the InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto.
Joerg T. Boeckeler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 18 September 2011

As we held Ambassador Club membership, we had access to the Club Intercontinental breakfast, morning and afternoon teas, and predinner services. Lovely. My only complaint would be the coffee in the Club area isnt very good, not very tasty. Everything else was outstanding.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, 27 September 2011
Dear KLJinSyd,

Thank you very much for taking the time to complete your review. I was so glad to read that you enjoyed your time in the Club InterContinental Lounge and that you are making the most of your Ambassador Club membership. I would like to also thank you for your feedback regarding the coffee that you had in the Club InterContinental Lounge, I will certainly take this on board and discuss with the hotel team.

Sydney
Reviewed 18 September 2011

The InterContinental Rialto is a strange beast. I've stayed there regularly for work over the last few months so expect a little more than computer prompted recognition when I check in. Unlike some other hotels the 'welcome back' feels prompted, not genuine. First impressions count and are inevitably of reception staff that do not know what they are doing. In contrast the bell boys and concierge are courteous and friendly.

The rooms are boxy, boring and bland. I could be in any box anywhere in the world. Go to L47 and above of the Sofitel and compare. So if the hotel doesn't have the views is has to be something else. We stayed in South Yarra for the weekend at the Lyall a couple of weeks ago and it was a much more pleasant experience (even without views). The desk facilities are good but there's not enough room to swing a cat if you want to work with people. Seating for a guest or spouse is limited. I could be in any 4 star hotel anywhere in the world (yes I mean 4). Oh, a pet peeve, the TV is on (loudly) when you enter your room on arrival. Might as well put a poker machine in. Turn it off !

The quality of the breakfast is excellent. Let down by the fact that the maitre de doesn't recognise me and asks "Have you eaten with us before?" even though I came down yesterday. If you order a full breakfast, say tea and eggs it goes like this... the tea will come sometimes with milk, sometimes without but you never know if or when. Your required to hand your "chit" with your order to the cook and they will bring your cooked eggs to the table on a plate. But if you want any accompaniments you have to go back and get them yourself (eg tomato, mushrooms) or get them on a separate plate. Then there's the toast (make your own) but put it through 3x to brown. On the plus side, great healthy juices and cold breakfast selection. All in all, good tasty healthy food consistently let down by the service.

All in all, it's missing something. In contrast, I spent 2 years of my life in and out of the Sofitel most weeks - and I used to look forward to going back. I stay here because the location is convenient not because I look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Haven't come across a room I like yet.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Dear GAAN,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your thoughts about your recent stay. I was saddened to read that we did not deliver you the exceptional service that we strive for. Please do be assured that I have taken onboard the feedback that you have provided and will be discussing it further with my departmental management team.
I would like the opportunity to discuss this matter with your further and also work to make sure that your future visits are more enjoyable. I will message you my email address and I would encourage you to please make contact with me so that we may find a solution to provide with you a home away from home.
I would sincerely like the opportunity to make you look forward to returning to InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 18 September 2011

I booked the Intercontinental as part of a weekend away for my husband's 40th.
The hotel is lovely, a beautiful old building and a tasteful renovation. We loved the quiet - walking into the hotel is like walking into a little oasis, so quiet and relaxing. There was actually a wedding on this weekend - which can sometimes spell trouble for other guests - but we'd have had no idea if it wasn't for a tiny sign in the foyer.
The stand out though was the staff; everyone incredibly friendly and polite, but not in-genuine. Always the deal maker for me.
I'd booked a standard queen but was upgraded to a King. The room itself was very nice. The only down sides were the mini-bar - super expensive!! and there was a slight musty / mildew smell in the bathroom at times. Comfy bed, good TV, quiet air conditioning.
All in all a pleasant stay - would stay again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, 19 September 2011
Dear AAMelb,

Thank you so much for your kind review regarding your recent stay and happy birthday to your husband! Thank you in particular for your comments regarding the staff that you encountered, please be assured that I will share your feedback with them. I will certainly take your comments on board regarding the mini bar and also the smell in your room - I will be investigating what the cause of this was.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Melbourne
Reviewed 10 September 2011

We stayed for 2 nights in September as we were getting married next door and it was convenient. The rooms and public areas of the hotel are nicely done. Champagne was sent up to congratulate us on the wedding. Nice touch.

Service is a bit patchy - friendly certainly but things that are standard in most 5 star hotels were missing. Examples - you are not escorted to your room upon arrival/check in - it's just a "find it yourself" type deal. We requested a pair of scissors and it took 2 phone calls and 40 mins for them to arrive. Breakfast buffet just OK. Swimming pool average and spa out of order. Room service includes bed making only - dirt left on bathroom floor and no tidying of magazines, pillows on chairs etc.

Sadly this is what I've come to expect of Australian 5 star hotels. Bring on the overseas honeymoon I say!

Room Tip: Don't expect too much in terms of service, room are nicely done
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Springstreet77
Dear Springstreet77,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me regarding your recent stay and may I say congratulations on your wedding.

I am so sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion and particularly that you waited so long for your scissors, I sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

I do hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again another time, it would be my pleasure to look after you personally should you be returning.

I will message you my email address and please contact me should you have the opportunity to visit the hotel again.

Sendai, Japan
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Two visits to the hotel, the first in a Normal room the second in a Club Deluxe room. We were most impressed. Location is perfect. Generous, quiet, restful, well equipped rooms with lovely beds. Service throughout was efficient, friendly and considerate. The Club Lounge is brilliant. We felt very welcome at the Intercontinental. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank ComoPorto
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, 8 September 2011
Dear ComoPorto,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us about your recent stay. I was so happy to read that you had such an enjoyable stay and particularly that you enjoyed the Club InterContinental lounge, please be assured I will share your feedback with the entire team.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2011

I used to work nearby and i always fancied staying at this hotel so our Silver Wedding Anniversary was a perfect opportunity. We received a room upgrade on our arrival and the room we got was excellant . All the Staff were very attentive and it was lovely to receive a complementary bottle of champagne and a card for our anniversary . We'd already planned to eat out elsewhere on the evening but we did have the breakfast as part of our package which was wonderful too . So much food to choose from . Thoroughly recommend it and in a really nice part of town . We will definitely stay there again one day.

Dear David W,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your kind review of your recent stay and may I also say congratulations on your silver wedding anniversary. It makes me so happy to read that our team was able to make your stay even more special and I am also very happy to read that you enjoyed breakfast in Alluvial restaurant.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back again soon.