InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
US$143
US$130
Doubletree
  • Room Service
Treasury On Collins(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$190
  • Breakfast included
US$105
US$97
  • Bar/Lounge
Adina Apartment Hotel Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$124
  • Restaurant
Art Series - The Blackman(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$192
US$141
Hotels.com
  • Room Service
Pan Pacific Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$218
US$139
  • Room Service
Oaks On William(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$142
US$114
US$206
US$198
  • Pool
Art Series - The Larwill Studio(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$153
US$126
  • Fitness centre
2,315 results
All reviewsthe club loungealluvial restaurantambassador membermarket lanecollins streetjunior suitebeautiful hotelnatural lightrain showerstar hotelheritage buildinghigh teaan upgradevalet parkingbuffet breakfastcrown casinosouthern cross station
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 October 2011

The first impression of this hotel is the beautiful sight of the glassed roof and sunken dining area when you enter. The check-in process was smooth and when I got to the room, it was comfortable with touches of luxury, so much so that I decided to stay in the room for several more hours than planned before exploring the city.
The room has a great desk with a high back roller chair and dedicated light. This seems obvious but very few hotels have such a good area for working. It also faced the TV and windows and not the wall, as usually happens.
The bed and pillows were soft and comfortable and the bathroom was filled with expensive toiletries. Although I had an internal room, the view of the internal of the hotel was a pleasant one and the roller blinds and electric curtains helped block this out in the evening.
The hotel also hosts a pool & gym, which were both great and I made use of.
The breakfast was fantastic - a gorgeous location and great selection, especially the variety of fruit, juices, and bread products.
The concierge was also incredibly helpful when we asked directions, providing us with a map and praising our selection.
I can't recommend this hotel enough. I will be back when I am in Melbourne next.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2011

Dear EJK80,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a lovely review about your recent stay. It made me very happy to read that you had such an enjoyable stay and that you were able to make use of so many of our facilities during your time at the hotel.

The entire team looks forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon when you next return to Melbourne.

Reviewed 15 October 2011

Check In:
- Staff were friendly and efficient, acknowledging me as a returning guest, and kindly arranging Club InterContinental access until my room became available. Heading off to explore the city I received a telephone call when the room was ready.

The Room:
- The Executive suite was a good size (68 sq metres), well laid out with lounge seating for four, work area, guest washroom, bedroom, bathroom with jacuzzi bath and rain shower. With three flat-screen televisions, and typical InterContinental touches such as Bose stereo and Nespresso coffee machine, the suite was well equipped throughout. See photos. The bed was exceptionally comfortable.
- Overall a good suite, but if you're looking for splashing out for a special occasion I'd highly recommend their Iconic Suite instead (see under my previous reviews if you're interested).

The Hotel:
- The hotel is situated in a heritage listed building and is luxurious throughout - having been completely refurbished prior to opening as the InterContinental a few years ago. The majority for the guest rooms overlook the atrium therefore lack natural light - however don't let this put you off as the hotel more than makes up for it in heritage building charm and the luxurious finishings.
- The location is good - less than 10 mins walk from the main shopping area, and around 5 mins walk to Southern Cross Station.

The InterContinental Club Lounge:
- Guests staying in Club rooms and suites gain access to the Club, benefits of which include complementary breakfast, afternoon tea, evening drinks and canapes, wireless internet and iPads for use within the lounge.
- Evening Canapes: on arrival we weren't off to a great start - with no greeting from staff, and initially slow and non-attentive service. Having waited approximately 10 minutes in a quiet lounge, I went up to serve myself - upon which staff then asked if I needed assistance. Service from then on was however good. On the occasion however, not up to par compared with other ICs.
- The lounge itself is compact but tastefully furnished, however gets crowded at peak times.
- It's disappointing they choose to have the televisions on throughout the lounge, volume up (note, this is in addition to low volume background music playing), showing live sports in the evening, instead of a more fitting relaxing atmosphere.
- Breakfast: there's a reasonable selection of continental breakfast items; cooked less so - comprising ready prepared bacon, sausage, tomatoes. Eggs made to your specification are available on request - delivered to your table by the chef.

The Restauarant:
- Food was average. The main was on the smallest of plates - leaving presentation somewhat to be desired. Whilst the restaurant was quiet service was unattentive, water glasses going without refill and no customary check soon after a course has been delivered to ensure everything is ok.

Summary:

This being my fifth stay in roughly two years, I've always found the hotel to be very good. Its maintained to an exceptionally high standard, and for a city hotel quite tranquil. My only criticism would be service - whilst overall it's good, it is only invariably great. Consistently great service - throughout a hotel - is what generally sets hotels in its class apart.

All said, whilst there's some improvements which can be made, I wouldn't think of staying anywhere else when visiting Melbourne!

Tip, although not well signed within hotel (not even an information booklet within the room) the hotel does have a spa. Ask the staff for directions - its on the grounds floor.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank nick164
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2011

Dear nick164,

Thank you very much for taking the time to complete your very thorough review. Thank you also for your constructive feedback regarding your experience, in particular about the the Club InterContinental Lounge. There are some very interesting points that you have raised and I will be sure to discuss them in depth with my management team.

We strive for consistently great service however I do also believe there is room for continuous improvement and I agree that this is what helps to set a hotel apart from its competitors.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 12 October 2011

I am a regular visitor to the Rialto with ambassador membership, and usually find the accommodation and service here of a high standard. I find the character of this heritage building redevelopment a marked change from the usual modern could-be-anywhere kind of property.

The warm welcome I always receive by many staff is also a pleasant start when on the business travel grind, the memory of my personal preferences by everyone from the front desk through room service and the club is a personal plus. Yes, I know there are systems for a lot of this, but there are lots of things that aren't written down that get handled. Give them a chance, I think you might be pleasantly surprised. I'm not the most lavish nor most frequent traveller, but I certainly appreciate the above the bar treatment I receive.

Some people comment on the lack of views, but I have to wonder whether they have appreciated the character and investigated the history of this property - try asking the staff, many of them have lots of facts at their fingertips, and I find many of them seem to really enjoy working in such an interesting property. I certainly find this a refreshing change from the usual options available at this end of the market.

The club staff here are fantastic and usually go the extra distance to make the stay very enjoyable and Kishor, the Customer Relations Manager is always on the ball.

Anyway, to my recent stay. I brought the family down to join me for a long weekend away rather than returning home in the middle of a business trip. The upgrades and extra pampering were exceptional and much appreciated bythe family, and the level of customer care and the warmth with which my wife and daughters were greeted was very much appreciated by this even more appreciative loyal customer.

Well done guys!

Room Tip: If you like modern rooms, the junior suites are great, but if you want something with a bit of character, ask for a room in the heritage side. Let them know if you want a view. But if you can stretch, try a turrent suite, especially 601. Very different and fun!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2011

Dear JimCau,
Thank you very much for your kind words regarding your visits to the hotel, I cannot tell you how happy it made me to read about your stays with us.
Please be assured that I will pass your feedback on to Kishor and the hotel team.
We all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 11 October 2011

Usually stay at Hyatt, Park Hyatt or Westin for business. Thought I would try here for a change. Very nice. Service outstanding, room service very good. Was upgraded to a suite, which always colours the experience, and the suite was stunning. I will definitely stay here again. I would chose this over the Grand Hyatt any day. The attitude of staff shows that they try hard to please and they certainly did for me. Great stay. Definitely 5 star in every way for me.

Room Tip: be an ambassador club member.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business

Dear Luv2travelOzzie,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share with me your thoughts regarding your recent stay. It made me very happy to read that you had such a wonderful experience and I am pleased to confirm that yes, the team do work very hard to ensure that all guests have a wonderful five star experience.
We all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 4 October 2011

We selected the this hotel because as Ambassador members we needed the available 4pm checkout (we were catching the night ferry to Tasmania).

It was our first stay at the Melbourne Intercon. We have previously stayed at the chain's hotels in Singapore, Perth and Sydney.

Our experience in Melbourne was disappointing. First we were not shown to our room and the signage led us to a dead end - we had to call for assistance. Next there was no welcoming letter or fruit bowl nor was a paper delivered to the room. The room was too hot and could not be cooled down - we were eventually moved to a suite where there was some improvement.

Overall the hotel is gloomy and most rooms have not outlook on the outside world. Lighting in the rooms is very dull which further adds to the gloom.

Overall, for the price we paid for a king bed club room there are better alternatives available in Melbourne.

On the positive side, staff in the Lounge were very helpful and quick to offer any assistance.

Room Tip: The first floor rooms at the front of the hotel face onto a busy street with trams, buses, cars, etc. The other rooms tend to be gloomy
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2011

Dear AUSSIETRAVELADVISER,
Thank you for sharing with me your thoughts regarding your recent stay. I was so saddened to read that we were not able to meet all your expectations during this time. Due to the hotel’s two building configuration most of the guest rooms do face our internal atrium and in keeping with the historical significance of the facades of the hotel this was kept this way in the redevelopment of the hotel in 2008, i do apologise this was not to your liking.

I am however glad to read that you found the team in the Club InterContinental lounge to be so helpful, I will certainly pass this feedback on to them.
Should you wish to discuss any aspects of your stay further please do not hesitate to contact me.
I hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.