“My 'go to' five star hotel in Melbourne”

InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
Ranked #49 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 18 December 2011

I have stayed here probably half a dozen times now and I have never been dissapointed. The staff are professional and guest focused and the rooms are modern and very clean. The pool/spa/gym are also good. My husband loved the range of whiskey available in the Market Lane bar and we were served complimentary nibbles with our drinks and the breakfast alone is worth a visit - the best I have ever experienced anywhere. I have only a few very small observations that left me unable to give it a 5 star review. On arrival the valet was busy so we had to wait to hand our keys over, the chlorine in the spa is extremely strong so anyone with sensitive skin be warned!! On our last visit our newspaper wasn't delivered and although I called guest services to request one, it still didn't arrive. Also when the hotel is busy I would advise you go to breakfast a bit earlier as I have seen guests have to eat at the bar or wait for a table during peak times. The hotel is an easy walk to the casino but its probably not the best choice if hitting the shops is your thing. Overall though this is my favourite hotel and worth the money for a quiet and relaxing break.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,272)

Reviewed 18 December 2011

Spent 5 nights in a Club Room, during The Melbourne Cup Carnival, and to be honest we were rather disappointed with the hotel and the restaurant in the basement (we ate at the restaurant one night - the food was disappointing and the room was very cold).

We had booked a Club Room. When they showed us into the corner room on the first floor overlooking Collins Street, at first we thought it was great. But later that night, we found out that the sound proofing left a lot to be desired. The noise of trams and vehicles going by, and people talking and laughing out on the street stopped us from sleeping until well after midnight.

The room itself was nice enough, but the main area was accessed by a long passage around the bathroom area. There were no draws to put clothes in, not even small ones for socks and underwear, so we ended up living out our suitcases for the 5 nights. There was a wardrobe positioned right by the front door, probably 15m away from the bedroom area. Again no shelves for clothes, but at least we had somewhere to hang our suits and dresses.

The Club, while nice, closed at 9.00pm. So while being kept awake by the noise, we had no access to internet, or a comfortable place to sit while waiting for the city to quiet down.

Finally to add insult to injury, when we got our bill at the end of our stay, there was an item for the cost of the transfer to and from the airport, which had been included in our room booking. When we queried this, we were told that the transfer cost had been included in the room cost, but the item was for "the tour around the city that we had on our way from the airport". As we had not done any such tour we queried this and were then accused by the concierge of lying to them. He then sat us down and proceeded to harass us into admitting we were lying. Eventually he found out through the car company that there had been a mix up, but the apology provided was far from sincere.

A very sour way to end our stay. Stay here again? Unlikely

Room Tip: Don't get the Club room at the front of the hotel!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Loyal-QPR-Fan
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2011

Dear Loyal-QPR-Fan,
Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed review and feedback. Firstly I would like to take this opportunity to apologise that your stay was not the experience that you had hoped for. I sincerely appreciate your feedback regarding the air conditioning and drawers in your room.
I would also like to apologise on behalf of the transfer company for the error in your invoice, please accept my sincere apology for this incident and I am sorry for any embarrassment or inconvenience this caused you.
I do hope that you would consider returning to the hotel in the future and would like the opportunity to look after you personally should you be doing so. Please contact me directly should you wish to discuss your stay further or would like to make another booking.

Reviewed 15 December 2011

From the moment I walked through the doors I felt welcome. The staff were extremely attentive from taking my bags through to the check-in process. The room was well set-out, clean and very comfortable.

Breakfast was fantastic - I felt spoilt for choice and enjoyed the freshly made omelette and great latte.

Location was great - quiet area of Collins Street on the weekend - perfect for a romantic escape. Very close to a vast variety of Melbournes major entertainment venues including Etihad Stadium, The Regent Theatre, The Casino and major shopping attractions from Myer through to the Docklands Outlet stores.

Great value for money, and definitely my first choice next time I stay in Melbourne!!

Dear Hamilan,
Thank you for taking the time to share with me your wonderful review, it made me so very happy to read that you had such a great stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next visiting Melbourne.

Reviewed 7 December 2011

My wife and I recently stayed at the Rialto for 3 nights, while in Melbourne. The hotel itself is well positioned in Melbourne close to shopping and in the CBD. The rooms and the facilities are excellent but what stands the Rialto apart from others is their staff.
Yes they are well trained and well presented which you expect of this class of hotel but they are warm and friendly and have a pride in their job and the hotel. This is all their staff in all departments , it is a pleasure to see.
We found the the stay at the Rialto top class and would recommend the hotel to any one looking for a top class hotel with top class staff.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Kym S
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2011

Dear Kym S,
Thank you for your wonderful review of your recent stay. It warmed my heart to read such praise of the hotel team, please be assured I will share your lovely comments with them.
The entire hotel team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 6 December 2011

We stayed at the Rialto for 5 nights and was duly impressed with its stunning atrium and conversion of a heritage building. It is located on the more quiet side of Collins Street but we still found it convenient for going around town. We stayed at the Rialto Wing which may explain why the room is a bit smaller than hotels of similar stature. The concierge was very helpful on things to do, etc. The hotel didn't appear to be very busy and there are not too many porter staff. So once they are tied up, you are on your own (as it happened when we were checking out and getting on a taxi). The buffet breakfast was good but could benefit with some variety over our 5-day stay. Overall, we thought it was good value for money and for those who prefer a more quiet location.

1  Thank HappyTravellerHK
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2011

Dear HappyTravellerHK,
Thank you very much for your kind review, it made me very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you also for your feedback regarding the number of staff working and the variety of the breakfast buffet, I will certainly pass this on to the relevant department heads.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 6 December 2011

One hotel that I will always return to - and am never disappointed! I was in Melbourne for a friends engagement party, and this was my first hotel of choice. We were upgraded to a suite - which was just gorgeous! The room and bathroom was massive, and there was a little court yard at the front - too cute!

This time, we only dined from the room service menu, and the quality was fantastic! And not too pricey! Also, had to stop off at Market Lane for a cocktail or two... and as always, received the best cocktails ever with 5 star service!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelling_princess1

Dear travelling_princess1,
Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful review. I am so glad to read that you have enjoyed many fantastic stays at the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back for many more in the future.

Reviewed 4 December 2011

We had a City Escape package booked with valet parking, full breakfast and late 2:00 pm checkout. Sounds great - and it WAS ideally located to the Christmas function we attended that evening. The concierge were very helpful with our baggage and sorting out the carparking. That's really where it ended. We checked in at 2pm, only to be told a room of our type was not ready yet. There was little seating area in the lobby (three other parties were also waiting) so I sat on the floor (!!!). 45 minutes later our room was ready, with no apology as to the delay, or offer of a refreshment while we were waiting.

Found the room size to be pretty small, and you could hear the food and cleaning trolleys quite clearly throughout the afternoon and the following morning. Also, the pillows were too soft - my husband called them 'marshmallows'. By the following morning, after breakfast (which WAS good, and full compliments to the friendly and attentive Maitre 'D) we decided to leave at 10:00 am and not avail ourselves of the late checkout.

Not good enough, InterContinental, for a hotel of your calibre. My father-in-law recently stayed at the Adelaide InterContinental and sung its praises. Unfortunately we cannot do the same for Melbourne...

2  Thank aykay77
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2011

Dear aykay77,
Thank you for taking the time to share with me your thorough feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies that your room was not ready upon check in. Please be assured we always attempt to have guest rooms available as soon as possible however when the hotel is busy there may be a short delay so that we can continue to maintain our high standards of cleanliness. I apologise that you had to sit on the floor and wait and I wish that an alternative had been offered to you.
Thank you for your additional feedback, perhaps if you are returning to the hotel in future you could make use of our pillow menu and find a pillow more to your liking.
We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again and should you be making another booking or wish to discuss your feedback further please do not hesitate to contact me personally.