“Disappointing stay at one of my favourite hotels”

InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
Ranked #35 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Disappointing stay at one of my favourite hotels”
Reviewed 10 July 2012

This hotel became one of my favourites earlier this year - rain shower, top quality toiletries and teas, reliable high-speed wifi, impeccable service - the front desk staff remembered me after my first stay even after I visited many weeks later, someone took my express checkout envelope out of my hands as soon as I walked into the lobby etc. Having been back a couple of times, I'm quite disappointed with my latest stay. Faulty hair dryer and toilet paper holder. Dirty iron leaving white marks on my clothes. Front desk staff appeared not to be paying much attention - recorded wrong newspaper preference and tried to tell me twice how to connect to Internet although I told them I stayed there lots of times before and I would manage just fine. Also, spa temperature is a bit lower than I'd expect.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Dear uni_mai,
Thank you for sharing with me your feedback. I am so sorry that on this occasion you did not experience the seamless service that we strive to continually deliver all of our guests; however I was pleased to note that on previous occasions you enjoyed your time with us so much.
I hope to welcome you back to the hotel again and I would invite you to contact me personally to manage your booking and ensure that your next stays are as wonderful as your previous ones.
Joerg T. Boeckeler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 9 July 2012

You cant ask for more! Excellent service, friendly attentive staff, great location

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear jodi037,
Thank you for your wonderful review.
We hope to welcome you back again soon.
Sydney
Reviewed 9 July 2012

First, I'm here on business. I stay here a lot. Secondly, If it wasn't for a blackout during the golf some time ago where we stayed at four other Melbourne hotel, I would have stayed even more. It's convenient to the offices, otherwise I'd go elsewhere. I still might. Because, despite repeated requests, some things don't change. I have a standing order (supposedly on the system) for a blanket on the bed instead of a quilt. I also requested a quiet room away from lifts and escalators. Its usually late and after a full day at work and a flight. So, I arrive in the evening and am greeted, pleasantly by all new staff (mostly all). The receptionist gives me a room. He tells me it's non smoking ....and $200 etc. Standard, lets tell the stranger (guest) whats on the checklist. I waive his speech (surely a system prompt tells him I've stayed here often enough for the GM to kindly recognise I that I have). So a simple Welcome Back would do. I know the room is not what I requested, the elevator will rattle all night. Too busy and tired to request a change I bet the bed is not made with a blanket. I was right. So, noisy room, the elevator still rumbles as I write this. And, I pay for the privilege of making my own bed. I wonder why I bother? So, pleasant staff, bad training and systems. Some things never change and I so wish they would, I'd so like to write great things about the Intercontinental. I'm back in Melbourne next week (already booked). Perhaps I should change it after all.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
Dear GAAN,
Thank you for taking the time to share with me your thoughts. I was saddened to read that your recent stay was not the seamless experience that we strive to provide to all of our guests.
We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your concerns with you, and I will message you the contact details of Cameron, our Director of Rooms, who would like the opportunity to try and assist you. Alternatively, when you arrive at the hotel this week, please do feel free to leave a message for Cameron at the front desk and he will be in touch.
We remain at your service, ready and waiting to assist you and I hope that we can speak with you this week.
Sydney
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Stayed for two nights with family to visit family in Melbourne. Booked reasonably well in advance to ensure we could get the room configuration required. Interconnecting rooms requested (and confirmed one week in advance) as we have young children, however upon arrival told interconnecting rooms not available and that the hotel would not have confirmed such a request in advance. How anyone can book confidently with a family in this situation is beyond me! Whilst the staff were friendly and tried to be accommodating, the overall result did not change. Provided with two rooms, fortunately on the same floor, however one down the hallway from the other. Very poor. To add insult to injury the little things that should make a difference were wanting also. Specifically requested a newspaper for the following morning after arrival, this did not arrive at either room; requested car be brought around in the morning advised 15mins wait, this is ok, but when the car still hasn't appeared for 35mins this is a problem; hallways obviously hadn't been vacuumed during the time we were there as the same drinking straw was in the the same place on the floor for three days. Not sure what else I can say, other than we won't be back.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Dear David K
Thank you for sharing your feedback with me and please accept my apologies that you were inconvenienced by not having adjoining rooms. In an attempt to understand what had occurred I undertook some research and discovered that your travel agent had incorrectly confirmed adjoining rooms when they were not available, due to existing bookings at the hotel and the team had contacted your agent to advise this was the case. Please accept my most sincere apologies that this message was not delivered to you and there was some confusion.
Should you be returning to Melbourne, I would like the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel and I would like you to please contact me directly should you have the chance to return. I will message you my email address.
I hope to have the chance to welcome you and your family back to the hotel again soon.
perth
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Stayed two nights and really enjoyed ourselves. Lovely spacious room, large television and great amenities. Have to make a special mention of the staff - they were lovely, always greeting us and we had a good laugh over the colour of our hire car! I think they are a credit to the hotel. Overall, great experience and unlike many large hotels, found the experience to be personal and warm.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Dear shortyperth,
Thank you for taking the time to share with me your recent review. I was so pleased to read of your wonderful stay, and in particular your glowing comments regarding the hotel team. I will be sure to share this feedback with them.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 6 July 2012

I stayed here with a friend for 3 nights to see an event in Melbourne and do some shopping/sightseeing. The hotel was perfectly located, close to shops and restaurants and tram line. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the room was perfect. I used my priority club points for 2 nights so it made the overall stay good value. I'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The fitness centre is on the 10th floor if you want to be near that