“Friendliest staff ever!!”

InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
Ranked #39 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
“Friendliest staff ever!!”
Reviewed 28 July 2012

I stayed here as a gift from my partner for my 21st birthday. I was overwhelmed with how lovely all the staff were in the hotel. They gave us a late checkout of 2pm and sent up sOme bubbly for my birthday! The buffet breakfast is to die for!! So many choices and so delicious!! I had such a great stay !!

• Stayed July 2012
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Dear Revs91,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and may I take this opportunity to wish you a very happy birthday! It warmed my heart to read that the hotel team helped to make your special stay even more memorable and I will be sure to share this feedback with them.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.
Joerg T. Boeckeler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Its been a little while since my last review of the Intercontinental and after I recent visit I thought I would update with my latest experience. Well I have major no complaints. Well maybe a small one but I will get to that. Valet and check in staff were lovely and highly professional. Our room was great with ample space for 2 people and all ammenities provided. Well not quite all. The toothpaste/toothpaste kit was no longer sealed and the toothpaste had been taken which had obviously been overlooked by housekeeping. Another oversight was our glassware. All the wine glasses had dishwasher 'gunk' in them and required replacing. Something that should not happen at a 5 star hotel in my opinion. We spent most of the night in the Market Lane bar (the one near reception?) and we were extremely impressed with the bar manager who was very relatable, friendly (without being overbearing) and had a fantastic knowledge of the scotch which my husband was very happy about! We also ordered the dessert sampler wich was lovely and a delightful way to end the evening. Breakfast was awesome as usual and I often choose to stay here just because I love their breakfast so much. One very tiny compaint is the size of the bircher muesli pots. They are huge! Maybe a bit much if you want to sample more of what the buffet has to offer. Checkout was efficient. We were overcharged for a visit to the dayspa (which is NOT the fault of the hotel as its a separate business located at the hotel) however I was very happy with the fact that the hotel staff member I spoke to a few days later contcated the dayspa on my behalf and organised for them to contact me rather than fobbing me off because it wasn't their responsibility. Overall an extremely pleasant visit and one I hope to enjoy again soon. Maybe with some clean glasses next time though.

Room Tip: I have stayed in both wings of the hotel and the were both excellent.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Hannie1976,
Thank you for sharing with me your very thorough review. Thank you for your feedback regarding the bathroom amenities, I will be sure to share this with the relevant department head. I was also pleased to read that we were able to assist you with your issue with the day spa, and I trust that this has been resolved.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed 18 July 2012

My wife, 4 year old daughter, and I, stayed at the Rialto from the 12th July-16 July. My wife and I stayed at the Rialto in March and loved it so much we had to come back. We are Ambassador members so we were upgraded to a King Club room which was fantastic. Once again the service was terrific, every staff member we interacted with were professional, efficient, and treated our daughter as a valued guest, not a nuisance. The door staff were very welcoming and gave us some good advice regarding destinations and travel options. Check in/out was a breeze with virtually no waiting to be attended to. The Club facilities are excellent and all the staff in there make you feel like you are doing them a favour by entering. We highly recommend this establishment to anyone wanting a quality stay in a fantastic location.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Devoent
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, 19 July 2012
Dear Devoent,
Thank you for taking the time to share with me your wonderful review. I was so pleased to read that you and your family had such a great stay once again. I will be sure to pass on to the team your kind feedback also.
We hope to have the chance to welcome you and your family back again soon.
Sydney
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Our family of 5 (2 Adults,3 children) recently spent 3 nights at the Intercontinental Rialto and thouroughly enjoyed our stay.The Rooms are well laid out with comfortable Beds and all the usual amenities you would expect from a 5 star Hotel.We used the Indoor Pool and Sauna on the top floor which was great on a cold day.The staff are excellent and are always in the background to help with anything needed.Breakfast offered a huge variety and we ate a meal one night in the Hotel Restaurant which did not offer much of a selection but overall we had no complaints.
To sum up we could not really fault the Hotel and position and we will be back hopefully soon.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Dear jamo5468,
Thank you very much for sharing your kind review. I was so happy to read that you and your family were able to make use of the hotel facilities and that you enjoyed your breakfast so much.
Thank you also for your comments regarding the variety of the Alluvial dinner menu, I will be sure to pass this on to the relevant department head.
We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel again soon.
Greater Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 15 July 2012

This was our first stay at the InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised!

We were greeted at the door by no less than four people and were directed to check-in. It was an easy fuss free experience which took just moments and we were straight to the room. The foyer of the hotel is expansive and impressive, a case of old meets new with the hotel lobby restaurant in the middle.

The room was really nice, we were in the older building which had been completely refurbished. Not too big and not too small, it was a nice place to relax. Great bathroom and cupboard space, comfy bed and Bose radio.

The location of the hotel is a little further away from the city centre (than other hotels) but in saying that it really is not far as Melbourne is not so big. It is however fairly close to Docklands, and the Southern Cross Station and not far from Southbank.

For a very special fine dining treat, restaurant Vue de Monde is in the Rialto Tower (the Rialto Tower also an observation deck with used to be the tallest viewing platform before the Eureka Tower was built).

The only downside is the valet parking, the street is really busy on a weekday and there is no where to leave the car. This is not the hotel's fault, just that the street is poorly designed- having said that, the valet guy was really helpful anyway.

Room Tip: If you like heritage charm request the older side of the hotel with a room facing outwards.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AndrewLoveSydney
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
Dear AndrewLoveSydney,

Thank you for taking the time to share with me your wonderful review. I was delighted to read that you had such a wonderful stay and that you appreciated the distinctive style and design of the hotel, it is indeed uniquely Melbourne!

We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 13 July 2012 via mobile

First time staying at the intercontinental in Melbourne. Lovely rooms and a good central location. Also have to mention the staff. Very friendly and made me feel right at home. Special thanks to Saskia who was great in the restaurant. Will be back again!

Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Matt C
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Dear Matt C,
Thank you for taking the time to share with me your great review. I will be sure to share your wonderful comments with the hotel team, and in particular Saskia, who is indeed a great asset to the team.
We hope to welcome you back again soon.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Rooms were a good size, very clean & neat & everything in the room was functional.
Plenty of coat hangers, towels, toiletries etc ....
Excellent location if travelling for work & for leisure as the tram stop is just outside the hotel.
Easy walk to Etihad or to Spencer St Station.
Staff was attentive when required & always polite & courteous.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Maria11K
Dear MaraK1970,
Thank you for taking the time to share with me your kind review. I was so happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.