“Prefer the one in Hong Kong”

InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
Ranked #42 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Australia, Gold Coast
“Prefer the one in Hong Kong”
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. I usually stay at the Crowne Plaza when in Melbourne but decided to splurge. The reception staff were lovely on arrival. The room was OK but nothing compared to it's sister in Hong Kong. Wasn't impressed with the bar staff - service was very poor and they preferred to stand around talking than serve customers - we were glad we decided not to stay for dinner. Valet Parking at $50 was expensive considering we weren't shown where the car was parked and had to take our own luggage. Definitely going back to the Crowne Plaza - their staff are incredible and the views and location are much better.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, 6 August 2012
Dear Where2g0Next,

Thank you for taking the time to share with me your feedback. I will be sure to share your comments with the relevant department heads and I was so sorry to read that on this occasion we did not provide the seamless five star service experience that we strive to continuously deliver to all of our guests.

Should you have the chance to return to the hotel I would like the opportunity to personally look after your stay and I will send you my email address. I welcome you to please contact me directly and I will handle your reservation.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Joerg T. Boeckeler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (486)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Very good price point for this 5 star hotel.

Exactly as expected from a 5 star non-boutique hotel (but the heritage sections of the building adds character) and the Intercontinental brand. No surprises.

Excellent concierge, housekeeping and reception staff. Professional but friendly.

Rooms are clean, reasonably spacious and very well stocked and cleaned. Good tea selection. Comfortable bed and good shower pressure. Satisfactory toiletries.

Breakfast at the Alluvial restaurant is above average. I would recommend a bed and breakfast package. A la carte hot section (eggs etc) and a generous continental buffet in terms of pastry, bread, juices but the fruit section needs improvement. Very good coffee is offered - this is a big tick.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Dear connoisseurc,
Thank you for taking the time to share with me your kind review. I was so happy to read that you enjoyed the hotel so much and your kind comments regarding the hotel team. I will also share with the relevant department head your feedback regarding the fruit in Alluvial Restaurant.
We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.
Adelaide
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I spent 3 nights at the hotel in July with a friend and we both could not fault a single thing.
First of all check in was great, a lovely girl named Hannah checked us in; she was professional and extremely helpful! We checked in at about 9am so we thought we may have had to leave our bags in storage and wait to 2pm, but they managed to find a room for us which was a bonus.
Concierge staff and the housekeeping staff are also extremely helpful. My friend and I were very impressed with one of the housekeepers, we could not find the business centre and she didn’t just point us in the direction she made sure she took us down there and showed us directly where it was even though she was obviously quite busy. Small things like this make a big difference.
The hotel looks great, loved the lobby area and the twin room I stayed in was a great size! Loved the shower!! Thanks for the wonderful weekend!
Will be back soon.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Dear S F,
Thank you for sharing with me your wonderful review. I was delighted to read your wonderful comments about the hotel team, and I will be sure to share this with them, and especially Hannah. I was also very happy to read that a member of the housekeeping team took the time to assist you in finding the business centre!
The hotel team and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Reviewed 28 July 2012

I stayed here as a gift from my partner for my 21st birthday. I was overwhelmed with how lovely all the staff were in the hotel. They gave us a late checkout of 2pm and sent up sOme bubbly for my birthday! The buffet breakfast is to die for!! So many choices and so delicious!! I had such a great stay !!

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Revs91,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and may I take this opportunity to wish you a very happy birthday! It warmed my heart to read that the hotel team helped to make your special stay even more memorable and I will be sure to share this feedback with them.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.
Melbourne
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Its been a little while since my last review of the Intercontinental and after I recent visit I thought I would update with my latest experience. Well I have major no complaints. Well maybe a small one but I will get to that. Valet and check in staff were lovely and highly professional. Our room was great with ample space for 2 people and all ammenities provided. Well not quite all. The toothpaste/toothpaste kit was no longer sealed and the toothpaste had been taken which had obviously been overlooked by housekeeping. Another oversight was our glassware. All the wine glasses had dishwasher 'gunk' in them and required replacing. Something that should not happen at a 5 star hotel in my opinion. We spent most of the night in the Market Lane bar (the one near reception?) and we were extremely impressed with the bar manager who was very relatable, friendly (without being overbearing) and had a fantastic knowledge of the scotch which my husband was very happy about! We also ordered the dessert sampler wich was lovely and a delightful way to end the evening. Breakfast was awesome as usual and I often choose to stay here just because I love their breakfast so much. One very tiny compaint is the size of the bircher muesli pots. They are huge! Maybe a bit much if you want to sample more of what the buffet has to offer. Checkout was efficient. We were overcharged for a visit to the dayspa (which is NOT the fault of the hotel as its a separate business located at the hotel) however I was very happy with the fact that the hotel staff member I spoke to a few days later contcated the dayspa on my behalf and organised for them to contact me rather than fobbing me off because it wasn't their responsibility. Overall an extremely pleasant visit and one I hope to enjoy again soon. Maybe with some clean glasses next time though.

Room Tip: I have stayed in both wings of the hotel and the were both excellent.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Hannie1976,
Thank you for sharing with me your very thorough review. Thank you for your feedback regarding the bathroom amenities, I will be sure to share this with the relevant department head. I was also pleased to read that we were able to assist you with your issue with the day spa, and I trust that this has been resolved.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed 18 July 2012

My wife, 4 year old daughter, and I, stayed at the Rialto from the 12th July-16 July. My wife and I stayed at the Rialto in March and loved it so much we had to come back. We are Ambassador members so we were upgraded to a King Club room which was fantastic. Once again the service was terrific, every staff member we interacted with were professional, efficient, and treated our daughter as a valued guest, not a nuisance. The door staff were very welcoming and gave us some good advice regarding destinations and travel options. Check in/out was a breeze with virtually no waiting to be attended to. The Club facilities are excellent and all the staff in there make you feel like you are doing them a favour by entering. We highly recommend this establishment to anyone wanting a quality stay in a fantastic location.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Devoent
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, 19 July 2012
Dear Devoent,
Thank you for taking the time to share with me your wonderful review. I was so pleased to read that you and your family had such a great stay once again. I will be sure to pass on to the team your kind feedback also.
We hope to have the chance to welcome you and your family back again soon.
Sydney
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Our family of 5 (2 Adults,3 children) recently spent 3 nights at the Intercontinental Rialto and thouroughly enjoyed our stay.The Rooms are well laid out with comfortable Beds and all the usual amenities you would expect from a 5 star Hotel.We used the Indoor Pool and Sauna on the top floor which was great on a cold day.The staff are excellent and are always in the background to help with anything needed.Breakfast offered a huge variety and we ate a meal one night in the Hotel Restaurant which did not offer much of a selection but overall we had no complaints.
To sum up we could not really fault the Hotel and position and we will be back hopefully soon.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Dear jamo5468,
Thank you very much for sharing your kind review. I was so happy to read that you and your family were able to make use of the hotel facilities and that you enjoyed your breakfast so much.
Thank you also for your comments regarding the variety of the Alluvial dinner menu, I will be sure to pass this on to the relevant department head.
We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel again soon.