“Not a fan of rooms off a central atrium”

InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
Ranked #43 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 21 September 2012

My sister and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights whilst visiting Melbourne over a weekend. This is a very nice hotel and the rooms were luxurious, but I am just not a fan of rooms looking out over an atrium or in our case a wall. It was just a bit dark. The hotel staff virtually ignored us at checkin and started serving other customers. Not great for a 5 star hotel. What I did enjoy about this hotel was the restaurants and bars. We decided to stay in one night and were pleasantly surprised. The hotel isn't in my preferred location in Melbourne but it is easy to get around with the tram virtually stopping at the front door.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2012

Dear aandjSydney
Thank you for your review. I was disheartened to read that you did not have a seamless check in experience, please accept my apologies for this.
I hope to have the chance to welcome you back to the hotel again.

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto

Reviewed 21 September 2012

We have just returned from the best stay ever in Melbourne! The staff were so friendly they really made the stay something special.
Our room was quiet and extremely well serviced.The double delux was a good size and had a fantastic shower. We chose to join the Club InterContinental as it was a special birthday treat and we were not dissappointed.Would suggest to anybody wanting a special treat to do the same. Without a doubt we shall return to this Hotel again. Shall not even consider anywhere else to stay when going to Melbourne.

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor just above the Club lounge. Perfectly situated . Very quiet too.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear SueGeoff
Thank you for sharing with me your wonderful review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay so much, and that the hotel team helped make your stay special. Club InterContinental is indeed a very special place and I am so glad you were able to make the most of it on this occasion.
I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 18 September 2012

I have family and friends in Melbourne and I am Melbourne born. This is a super city and sometimes when we want to play tourist this is where we stay. Not the Paris end of Collins St but the other end. A good walk downhill to the city's heart. A very smart hotel with good staff and lovely comfortable rooms. A very quiet hotel with a nice vibe, great to be close to Etihad stadium for sports or concerts.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Ange11rocks

Dear Ange11rocks
Thank you for your review and great feedback of the hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 18 September 2012

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the intercontinental hotel in Melbourne to celebrate his birthday and we had an amazing time.

We stayed in the intercontinental king club room and I can assure you that this room did not disappoint!

We were treated so well, the staff were so friendly and made sure we were happy and comfortable at all times.

We also dined at the hotel resturant, Alluvial and enjoyed a delicious buffet breakfast in the club lounge. My boyfriend had even said that it was the best breakfast he had ever had and he is hard to impress!

I will be returning to the intercontinental hotel in Melbourne in the future!

• Stayed: September 2012

Dear Brea90,
Thank you for your kind review and may I please take this chance to wish your boyfriend a very happy birthday! I was so glad to read that you were able to make the most of the Club InterContinental Lounge; it is indeed a very special place and that you enjoyed Alluvial Restaurant so much too.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights; Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I had some initial concerns about the potential noise since all rooms look onto a central atrium with the hotel restaurant and bar on the ground floor. My concerns were unfounded though, as the rooms have very good sound insulation and we weren't disturbed at all.

The staff are unfailingly courteous and very helpful, although the network cable in the room was faulty, and we needed to re-make the bed with a blanket (instead of the quilt) on each night, despite asking to have the quilt removed.

Breakfast in the Alluvial restaurant was very good, with quality food and chefs ready to cook eggs or omelettes for you.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Enigmike

Dear Lurch0001,
Thank you for sharing with me your great feedback. I was so delighted to read your comments, in particular about the hotel team, and I will be sure to share this with them.
I hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

We booked an executive suite for my husband's birthday and our experience was flawless. The service was fantastic, food was great, they upgraded us and the suite was beautiful. Special thanks to Jonathan who was particularly attentive. We will be making this our birthday treat again!

• Stayed: September 2012

Dear nooshie,
Thank you for taking the time to share with me your review, and may I please wish your husband a very happy birthday! I will be sure to share your great comments with Jonathan and his team too.
I hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 15 September 2012

The service from the start to the finish of the checkin is a delight to be involved with but that's where it ended. I was surprised at how small the rooms are and who was the person who thought putting the TV on the side wall? It just doesn't work! Even the way you place the furniture indicates it doen't work and why at night when you turn the bed down do you only leave one bottle of water when there are two names clearly staying there. I have heard of saving money but really put two in or don't worry it just makes the hotel cheap. The swimming pool are wasn't inviting the Spa didn't work the pool was warmish but a little on the cold side as it was a freezing day. The out door garden was amusing I do not believe you use the herbs from there as it is so overgrown. I was also told by a staff member that you bring the food in precooked so I guess that explains it. We were locked out of our room after our swim. The maid said not my problem call. Call who she ran away I found the phone outside the lift called down and was told to come down. As I had wet hair and was in a gown this wasn't an option, So why did I have to argue for someone to unlock my room which my keys wouldn't open. This took over 30 minutes. Service? HMMMMMMM. So would I stay there again? I doubt it, it was small, dark, noisy and not the most pleasant 5 star experiecnce I have had in a Melbourne 5 star. But hey we are only 2 people who stay every couple of months so we are nothing to a hotel like this but I wouldn't recommend it usnless you want to pay for extra's that are automatic at the other hotels. Pity as the building is stunning.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lisa S
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2012

Dear Lisa S,
Thank you for taking the time to share with me your detailed feedback. I would like to take the chance to assure you that all of our guests are important to us and I would like the opportunity to discuss some of your points with you further. May I send you my contact details, and I would like to ask you to please make contact so that I can hopefully resolve some of your concerns. I hope to speak with you soon.