“Great ambiance and service.”

InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
Ranked #47 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 21 June 2013

This Hotel is in a truly beautiful old building but the refurbishments are magnificent. Our room was lovely, staff excellent and the meals were delicious. We used the pool in the mornings and really pleased with the facilities. We will definitely go back there. Great breakfasts also but they have been renowned for this for many years.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank surfingtoday
InterContinenta... M, Director of Rooms at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2013

Dear surfingtoday,

Thank you for your kind review, I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 21 June 2013

Have just returned from a 6 night stay at The Rialto. Great staff who looked after us very well. Had a lovely room but found the hotel to be overall quite dark - a restriction of its past life. Superb location allowed us to walk wherever we wanted to go. Close to many attractions. Only disappointment was the breakfast. The buffet on the first day was quite cold and although we advised staff who took immediate action to fix, the rest rest of the stay did not see much improvement. Omelets (cooked when requested) were terrific and hot!!! Treat yourself to a Club Room - it is worth the extra. Thanks to all the staff who made our stay a memorable one.

Room Tip: Club Rooms are worth the extra $$. You will hear traffic at the front of the hotel but it did not di...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CUThere_69

Dear CUThere_69,

Thank you for your kind feedback, I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. I will look into your feedback regarding the breakfast buffet and be sure to pass your feedback onto the team. I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

My daughter had never been to Melbourne. I travelled with her & her husband (it was to celebrate his 40th) & their 7 y.o & 2 y.o. We had an interconnecting room which was very convenient. We arrived at the hotel early in the morning and was greeted by the concierge who was very helpfull in advising of places to go and then upon our return when the rooms were ready by midday. The staff in every section of the hotel were very pleasant & professional.
The rooms had lovely amenities including lovely fluffy slippers, comfortable pillows, good lighting, drapes which operated automatically. Dad & children enjoyed the pool & spa which was very clean. Choices for breakfast was more than adequate.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Diane D

Dear Diane D,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review, I am so glad to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you all back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 17 June 2013

truly exceptional experience, employees were very accommodating and understanding with the situation i presented them at a ridiculous olcock.
the rooms are tastefully decorated, simplistic yet classy. very comfy bed with high quality sheets. super speedy internet connection.
the buffet breakfast had a wonderful selection, the made to order omelette was delicious. my only complaint of the hotel would be the lack attention paid by wait staff over breakfast, i felt blatantly overlooked in comparison to other diners,. Narrissa of reception and Aaron of concierge are certainly a credit to the hotel however as is the gorgeous man of valet.
the intercontinental encompasses great facilities, if only i could have stayed longer to enjoy them, i will certainly make reservations when next visiting on business

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank littleladywanderlust

Dear littleladywanderlust,

Thank you for your kind review, I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. I will be sure to share your feedback with the team and look forward to welcoming you back again when next you travel.

Reviewed 16 June 2013

Stayed Friday 14th June, 2013. What a wonderful place, we have stayed here before and once again it surpassed our expectations. The room was lovely, clean and had everything we could have asked for. The staff were lovely and welcoming, right from our initial meeting with the concierge when we drove to the front doors, our check in, staff at the wine bar, and breakfast. Everyone on duty was very friendly and all smiled and greeted us with a "good morning" or "good afternoon". We were very impressed and have told many of our friends that this is the place to stay when in Melbourne. We will certainly be coming back again.
Thank you to everyone at the InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto - you should be very proud of how you all conduct yourselves.

Room Tip: We chose the city escape king executive which was great value and on the 9th floor. Very nice.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sunshine300773

Dear sunshine300773,

Thank you for sharing your kind review. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and will be sure to pass your feedback on to the team. I look forward to welcoming you back for another memorable stay soon.

Reviewed 16 June 2013

Have just returned from Melbourne after a four day weekend and stayed at the InterContinental. We thoroughly enjoyed our time here. Our flight was delayed ten hours which made it quite late arriving at the hotel but this was not a problem for the staff. We were greeted by the duty manager who made checking in very quick and easy. We did get an upgrade to the `Iconic Suite` as part of our Intercontinental Ambassador membership and it exceeded our expectations. It was a very large suite,(123 sqm) and it had everything in it you could imagine. The quality of the products supplied in the room were very good also. We loved the total blockout blinds and slept in every morning which is unusual for us. It overlooked Collins Street but there was no noise. We went to the club lounge two mornings for breakfast and two mornings in the restaurant and enjoyed all. The pre dinner drinks and canapes were very good too. Staff throughout the hotel were very helpful and kind, and made us feel very welcome. The hotel is well situated in Collins Street with only a short walk to Burke Street Mall, restaurants and free tram. We will definitely stay here again and recommend to others.

Room Tip: Pay for club level - breakfast, afternoon teas, 2hrs of canapes and drinks each day make the extra...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Greg_Sheree
InterContinenta... M, Director of Rooms at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2013

Dear Greg_Sheree,

I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and I thank you for taking the time to share your kind review. We are always so pleased to hear when our guests have experienced an enjoyable stay and I look forward to welcoming you back again for another.

Reviewed 15 June 2013

Stayed May/June 2013 This is the second time I’ve stayed here and in my first review a few years ago I said it was a bit pretentious. After this visit, I saw nothing to make me reconsider my initial thoughts.
On the plus side, after a marathon journey from the UK, we arrived at the hotel at 0630 and we managed to secure a room immediately, so thanks for that. Our request for an outward facing room wasn’t met but I put that down solely due to our very early arrival.
We were satisfied with the room but it didn’t overwhelm us. Everything was there but there were too many minor faults and issues that, whilst not worth reporting individually, taking them all into consideration, leaves me with the firm opinion that this is not a five star hotel!
The iphone connection was broken, cleaning standards were variable throughout our stay and toiletries were not always topped up or enough for us taking two showers! I know it’s only a phone call away but why should I have to do that for such a prestigious hotel? Also, whatever happened to the Elemis toiletries, the currently supplied toiletries are nowhere near as good.
We took breakfast every day and I suppose this is where my biggest let down is. There was plenty of choice but apart from the eggs cooked to order, the other ‘hot’ food choices were never more than lukewarm and often past their best. This even after we saw a member of staff checking temperatures of the hot food on several occasions and we never saw old food being replaced by fresh items. The cold shelf was very good though. The bread looked delicious but never once did I eat it without thinking it wasn’t fresh. On the first day at breakfast, I asked for a pot of coffee and was served with a half full pot of cold coffee that had obviously been used by another guest, I was disgusted but when I asked for a fresh pot I will only say, it wasn’t served with a smile.
Might I say that the doormen are first class, especially the gent from the UK and always greeted you with a smile. Now they know how to communicate with people, so well done you guys!
I’m back in Melbourne early next year and it’s the Langham for us next time.

Room Tip: As the French Windows are locked for 'safety' reasons (geez), ask for an outward facing room...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brigham

Dear Brigham,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am sorry to hear you were dissatisfied with elements of your stay and would very much like the opportunity to discuss your experience further. I have sent you my personal details via private message and hope look forward to hearing from you.