“Perfectly polished”

Ranked #39 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Geelong, Australia
“Perfectly polished”
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

A perfect getaway from the humdrum for the night. I booked a room one level under the club rooms knowing that with my ambassador membership an automatic upgrade would be done to a club room. Not only did I get the club upgrade but my room became a suite, extremely happy with this as, having stayed here in the past, the rooms are a little small, in addition the suite had a separate bath. The suite was quiet, dark when the drapes drawn, the shower pressure was great, the bed comfortable and the room very clean. My arrival was welcoming, checkin prompt and additional perks that come with having the ambassador card all provided as soon as I checked in. The Club evening drinks and antipasto were so plentiful that in hindsight we won't go out for dinner next time!!! Breakfast was lovely, fresh and relaxing. We finished off with a massage at the day spa and our only disappointment was that we had to go home instead of a nap after it! The only negative that could be worked on was that room service trays were left in the hallway, some for a few hours. Thankyou staff for your fabulous hospitality.

• Stayed November 2013
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
Dear Tewalker,

As a valued Ambassador Member and regular guest to InterContinental Hotels and Resorts worldwide, thank you for taking the time to share your kind feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular the evening drinks and canapes served in Club InterContinental.

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We recently stayed at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto for business and the staff
were excellent ,they worked as a team and nothing was a bother for them.The rooms are excellent, clean and inviting, would have liked to have stayed an extra few days after our
very busy schedule at the exhibition, that we took part in for our business. Hope the organisers
hold the next exhibition there again. The service from Ash in dining was excellent. Well done team.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear Margaret M,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to share your wonderful feedback on TripAdvisor.

I was delighted to note that my colleagues, in particular Ash, provided you with wonderful service and also that your exhibition was a success. I will be sure to mention your review to Ash, I know he will be pleased.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

A few elements missing that would make this a true 5 star hotel, and it mainly revolves around service: having to ask twice for things, trays being left in the hallways all day. The buffet breakfast was good...the omelette station could be improved. For the price, I may look elsewhere next time.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LuckyBlue__7
Dear LuckyBlue_7,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto.

I apologize for the shortcomings you may have experienced during your stay with us. It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to provide rates that are competitive in the area. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience and we appreciate your feedback as it is important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we offer to our guests. I hope that in the future we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 October 2013

My wife and I stayed here a few weeks ago for a Melbourne getaway in the hope of a relaxing time. We received excellent service all the way from arrival through to check out. Everone was so professional. The location is just perfect in Melbourne's CBD. A great spot to locate loads of Melbourne's hidden treasures, which the concierge James gave us the inside tips to. None of them failed us as each bar and restaurant he recommended was just top notch.

Thank you to all the staff at Intercontinental for an excellent stay.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Carla B,

As a valued guest thank you for taking the time to share your review on TripAdvisor.
I am delighted that you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us at the hotel and James was able to provide you with some insider tips on bars and restaurants.
I hope that we have the opportunity to once again welcome you and your wife back to the hotel.

Sydney
Reviewed 26 October 2013

To the team at this hotel, Thank You. I've been less than glowing in previous reviews but last week's stay and request for assistance deserves public acknowledgement. First, Kishor, the Head of Rooms went out of his way to secure accommodation at a very busy time for a critical business trip. Secondly, Cliff the Doorman is always welcoming and helpful. Thirdly, I think the hotel's breakfast is amongst the best in the world.

I'm still out to count on the air-conditioning and have a preference for the Rialto Wing. Otherwise, a blanket on the bed and a normal pillow helps get a good night's sleep. We are usually off a plane and into the hotel around 8pm and gone after breakfast the next day. I know that will be happening several times over the next while.

At one stage I was going to pull my business from the hotel - I was staying there once a fortnight for several years and frustrated. The sign of a good hotel is that they responded to my concerns and have made a great effort. I hope other guests receive the same.

So, to the weary business traveller, this hotel under this team, is one I would recommend.

Room Tip: If you are a regular or just want quiet you need to be away from escalators outside as well as the e...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, 27 October 2013
Dear GAAN,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and I am so glad that we had the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.

I will be sure to pass on your feedback to Kishor and Cliff, we certainly consider ourselves lucky to have them both working as part of our team.

I am glad that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Braughing, Ware United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

Popped into the Market Bar for cocktails before dinner at Brooke's. The setting is lovely with an atrium between the two old trading buildings and the lounge is very comfortable with a great range of drinks. My Manhattan was certainly one of the best I have tasted and I've tasted a lot! Well worth a visit with friendly and knowledgable staff.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear ChefCliveM,

Thank you for your kind feedback. I am glad to hear that our Manhattan, which was prepared by Julia was one of the best you have ever tasted! I will be sure to let her know.

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel and our Market Lane Bar again soon.

Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Stayed 10-12 Sept.
As ICH cheated me before (their infamous "Ambassador" 100$ waste -- never got ANY upgrade), I always choose other brands (platinum levels there etc). But this time it was kinda forced onto me (company thing), so - OK, grudgingly - I booked a room.
Hotel is... surprisingly nice. Nice welcome, knowledgeable concierge (chapeau bas, he gave us REALLY good recommendations for weird sightseeing), nice reception, and pretty good room. Actually, my room (8th floor) was _way_ better than my friends (3rd floor, old hotel wing) and he's the Platinum-or-equivalent with ICH :) (sure, he got free minibar)

Hotel is pretty much in a centre of town, easy walk distance from airport bus (just remember - not "Lt Collins street", pure "Collins", you'll save time), and taxi to airport was like 40 AUD or so;

Room is of decent size, toilletries are good, balcony is locked. Yeah, there is TV. And (paid) internet. Breakfast (included in my rate) was... proper (not really "wow", but nothing bad either).

Hotel bar? Full of rather pretentious people (imagine - real story - sales people talking about Einsteinian physics). But fret not - you're just few minutes walk from other restaurants. And if you have time - 30 min walk (10-or-less minute taxi) to Fitzroy/Collingwood area -- much recommended.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ISmackedTheLion
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear ISmackedTheLion,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto.

I am delighted to hear that you found the hotel well located and enjoyed the recommendations of our hotel concierge. I hope that on your next business trip to Melbourne we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.