“Market Lane Bar Afternoon Tea was superb!”

InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
Ranked #49 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 20 February 2014

My grandmother and uncle stayed in this hotel last weekend.

We had afternoon tea at The Market Lane Bar on Sunday to celebrate my grandmothers 91st birthday the service, atmosphere and delicacies we were served were all excellent!

We thoroughly enjoyed the dining experience and I would definitely recommend the Afternoon Tea to anyone wanting to be pampered :)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Dear Kerry S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review.

It is wonderful to hear that we were able to make your Grandmothers 91st Birthday a memorable one with Afternoon Tea in the Market Lane Bar.

I hope that your Grandmother and everyone else throughly enjoyed the experience and we have the opportunity to welcome you all back for another special celebration again soon.

Executive Assistant Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,241)

Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

This is by far my favourite hotel in Australia- the rooms are beautifully furnished, the staff are welcoming and knowledgable, the concierge is so helpful and the club lounge is a great place to relax- all the staff aim to make your stay more pleasurable and go out of their way to make it happen. Definitely would recommend this hotel!!!

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear BentleyRose,

Thank you for taking the time to share the feedback from your recent stay with us at InterContinental Melbourne.

I am delighted to hear that you rate the hotel so highly and that the concierge were very helpful. I will be sure to share the feedback with the team.

Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

Two night stay. The service was great and so was the room. I did call a week earlier to arrange if a double/twin room was available as I was travelling with a colleague, and confirmed this was available. Unfortunately on arrival this was not the case, and advised, due to Valentines, all of these rooms were not available, even though there were notes in the system. I was then told that I was upgraded to ambassador floor (no idea what that meant until my colleague advised) and would have been nice if I was not travelling with my colleague. The other option was to arrange a roll away bed, but that wouldn't have fit in the room. The bed was a king and big enough to have separation, and I knew my colleague well enough to not feel 'awkward' at all. Had I been told the bedding arrangements were subject to change, then I would have cancelled and booked something more convenient. Overall experience, like I said, service was great, hotel was nice, handy location to transport, shopping, cedes etc. Pool was refreshing, gym was good. For the price you pay, it was ok. Thank you for the experience, much appreciated.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank jubeslife
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Dear Standardissue,

Thank you for sharing your kind feedback with me.

I am delighted to hear that you felt the service provided by my colleagues was great and that the hotel was nice.

I am sorry that we were not able to accommodate your request for a double room during your stay with us but I am glad that you enjoyed the upgrade.

I hope that we might have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

The Intercontinental Melbourne is a fabulous international hotel and I can't believe that on a Sunday evening at 1030 hours the bar was closed and was told if I want a drink "Call Room Service" I just wanted a quite drink and place to sit and review a few emails and soak up the atmosphere ........ what made it more frustrating was being told by staff complain to management as this happens all the time. Other wise a pleasant stay ........... would I come back ?

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank RobMcJ

Dear RobMcJ,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to share the feedback from your recent stay with us.

I am sorry to hear that on this occasion you were not able to utilise the bar facilities but I do thank you for the feedback in relation to the bar's opening hours. We continually review all feedback provided by our guests so that we can provide facilities and service that meets our guests needs.

I was delighted to not that other than this you had a lovely stay and I hope that I might have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

My wife and I stayed here 2 nights for Valentines weekend. I am an Ambassador and have been for quite a few years due to a job that took me interstate on a weekly basis. I no longer travel for work but decided to keep the Ambassador membership going due to the benefits associated with it, upgrades, late 4pm checkouts, stay 2 nights for price of one certificate, the list goes on, it pays for itself the first time you use it!! On this occasion, we were given an upgrade to die for, we stayed in one of their Signature Suites, The Yara Valley Suite. Looking at the hotel from the outside, there are a couple of turrets that make this hotel so unique, our bedroom was in one of these round turrets, it was to die for, especially on Valentines Day. The rest of the suite was beautifully quirky with a huge spa bathroom and large living area. We had paid for Club also which is well worth the money what with, a magnificent breakfast spread in the restaurant, all day refreshments, afternoon tea, evening drinks & canapes, in fact we were struggling to feel hungry for an evening meal. We must say a big thank you to Kishor who personally went beyond the call of duty to make this a 'special surprise weekend' for my wife. We arrived at 10am and our special room was ready and waiting, we went for breakfast so 3 breakfasts for a 2 night stay, how's that for being looked after!! The Intercontinental Rialto is the only place I would stay in Melbourne, certainly 5 star, with super friendly & helpful staff. I have stayed at a number of IC hotels around the world and this is right up there with IC Le Grand, Paris and IC Hong Kong. A huge thank you, hope to be back soon!

Room Tip: For a romantic weekend, try the Yara Valley Suite.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear polperro999,

Thank you for taking the time to share you kind review.

I am delighted that we were able to provide you with a wonderful Valentines experience at the hotel and I am glad that you enjoyed the Yarra Valley Suite. The enhancements made to the suites were part of a recent upgrade so we are pleased to hear your positive feedback.

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

We aren't staying at this hotel- though we now wish we were!
But we were walking past on Tuesday 18th Feb. when Cliff, the guy outside, in the bowler hat, started to talk to us. We were invited inside to admire the beautifully restored warehouses that now form the hotel, and shown the room containing the history of the two buildings.
He gave us advice on river cruises, a discount voucher and map, and the name of a local hair salon as I wanted a haircut.
What an amazing asset and ambassador he is for this hotel. We just felt that we needed to tell someone about this wonderful man, who is doing his job with such passion and interest.
Thanks Cliff!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Andrea51_12,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to share you kind feedback on Trip Advisor.

Cliff certainly is an Ambassador for hotel and a great asset for the company, I am proud to have him working at part of the team.

I hope on your next visit to Melbourne you might stay with us at the InterContinental.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Stayed here with a friend while travelling round Australia for a month. We booked a club room here and while initially we were impressed, it went downhill fast.
The room was OK. Not amazing but nice enough. The service from the Concierge is by far the best thing about this hotel. They recommended a brilliant restaurant and couldn't do enough for you. Unfortunately that was about the best of it. Breakfast was ridiculous. No one seemed to have a clue what was going on, one occasion it took 40 mins to get our coffee, our table was given up after we had sat down. No one had a clue what day it was - and there were about 5 tables in the place. Ridiculously poor. Neither of us were impressed. The room wasn't cleaned until very late in the day and when we returned from being out all day and having the "please service" sign up on the door we were disappointed that at 5pm it still hadn't been cleaned. When I called down to ask why this was I was met with some rather poor customer service asking if I was sure the sign was actually there?… since the guy from the mini bar stock was at our door when we got back I am pretty sure he could also verify it's existence! Not impressed at all. Anyway, we left the room for 30 mins only to return and it still not be cleaned. This prompted another call. Very very poor.
I wouldn't stay here again or recommend it either. There are far better out there for that price.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Havana0
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear Havana0

Thank you for your feedback.

I was delighted to note that you enjoyed the service provided to you by the concierge team. I will be sure to share this feedback with the team.

I reviewed the notes from your stay with us last November and am happy to inform you that we have made significant improvements since your last visit. I hope that I might have the opportunity to welcome you back and show you the improvements we have made since your last visit.