“Great hotel and attentive staff”

InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
Ranked #47 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We booked a four night stay at this hotel so we could catch up with family and catch a few shows in Melbourne. We love splurging occasionally on a good hotel and the Intercontinental Rialto did not disappoint. From stepping out on to the kerb when we arrived until we left 4 days later everything was first class. The building itself is very beautiful and adds an extra dimension to your stay. Our room was comfortable and spacious , the internet speed one of the best I have had in a hotel and the staff were ready to answer any queries promptly and efficiently. I would recommend the High Coffee at the Market Bar, a great treat. My husband appreciated the variety of Foxtel channels available in the room, I don't know why more hotels do not provide this service.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank twotravellers79
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear Twotravellers79,

Thank you for taking the time to share the kind feedback from your recent stay with us at the hotel.

It is lovely to hear that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay with us and I am certainly glad to hear that you enjoyed your High Coffee Experience in Market Lane Bar.

I hope on your next visit to Melbourne to catch up with the family I might have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed at Rialto few times before. This is a very different high end hotel. It's a mix of modern and heritage architecture blended very well. From the moment you arrive you greeted by concierge. The gentleman that greeted us was a young Englishman who was very helpful and attentive.
We were checked in and despite being early we were looked after, no more than twenty minutes and we had the keys to our club room. The club rooms are good value. Little larger than standard rooms and you get the club lounge for pre dinner drinks etc and breakfast in the mornings. The staff in the club room look after you very well!

Our room was spacious with a beautiful bed. Very comfy indeed. Air cond was hit and miss , little too warm even though we tried lowering the temperature. Other than that we enjoyed our stay and definitely will return to this great hotel well located in CBD in beautiful Collins Street.

Room Tip: Would recommend club rooms
1  Thank Bali1961

Dear Bali1961,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to share the feedback from your recent stay with us at the hotel.

I am delighted to hear that you had a lovely stay with us at the hotel and that you were well looked after by my colleagues in the Club Lounge. I will be sure to recognise all my colleagues mentioned, including Cliff our English doorman, for their efforts in making you feel welcome during your stay with us.

I hope that I might have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

This is a beautiful hotel, worth taking a look, even if you can not afford to stay. The location is good, but not excellent, it is a 6-7 minute walk to the heart of the city. The rooms are good, but not amazing, the bathroom had no bath ( which I would have expected for the price), and was also starting to date. The room size was good, but it was disappointing, although understandable that the doors to the balconies are permanently locked. The quality of bed was excellent, and the pillows were very good. The food at the restaurant was disappointing. The range was poor and the meal uninteresting and not of the standard you would expect in this environment and for the price. The meals were unimaginative, plan and unexciting. We ate there when we arrive late one night, but would never eat there again. The breakfast had a good range, but much of the ffod was prepared far too early ad was drying out and old when it was put out. There was not enough variety of fruit for my liking. No asian food in the breakfast buffet. Just your usual run of the mill western fair, which this causasian guest finds unappetising. bacon and sausages and backed beans does not get me interested in the morning ( or ever). I would have prefered some asian stir fry as one of the choices. no japanese food at breakfast either. rooms serviced early in the day which was a bonus. Staff very helpful and friendly. Internet slow in rooms, but adequate. overall a classy place with lovely architecture.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marellalouise

Dear Marellalouise,

Thank you for sharing the detailed feedback from your stay with us in May this year.

I was disappointed to note that there were many aspects of your stay which you found unexciting but please rest assured that your feedback is important and we will look into these issues as we consistently work toward creating memorable experiences for all our guests.

I hope that we might have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel sometime in the future to show you the changes and improvements we have made.

Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Valet: $50 flat rate a day. Some might complain it's expensive . But if u take a look at those roadside parking, its $2.70 per 30mins. So by handling e car the valet is much more worth it :)

Service: i couldn't find a fault in it. I felt so welcomed in this hotel. Every single person in the hotel will greet you with a warming smile.

Even the operator for the instant service are very patient and nice. Once u ask for something, they send up within minutes.

Rooms: we booked for a junior suite and they changed to a king club room for us. Not sure whats the difference, but there's a tub and a seperate shower.

Hot water is available all time, water pressure is fine. (Not sure why someone complain though). Bed is comfy enough(not the best as compared to Sofitel).

Bottled mineral water is provided is provided and even milk .

The front desk is nice enough to give us wifi in our room. Is high speed and unlimited data transfer

Room service: the price is really affordable for a hotel room service. I tried the spaghetti and is yummy. It only cost $18 a plate? And is really a big portion!

Breakfast: lesser variety as compared to sofitel. but the price is good. Only $38 per pax nett.

Overall i tried Sofitel and intercontinental during my melbourne trip. Intercontinental service are warming and nice. The rooms are a little newer. The losing point would be the bed, as sofitel bed are really really good(i think they have feathers in it). But otherwise, im really impress with the service. Would like to compliment the bell boys, they are very knowledgeable and they really know where are the supermarkets etc.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sheena C

Dear Sheena C,

Thank you for sharing the kind feedback from your recent stay with us at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto .

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and even more delighted that you found my colleagues in our instant service center to be very nice and patient and the bell boys to be knowledgeable. I will be sure to recognise each of them for their efforts in making you feel welcome.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

There are some basic things which I want when travelling, such as a comfortable temperature in the room and good hot water in the bathroom. This hotel fails at both of these and more. No matter how the thermostat was set, the room was kept at about 22 degrees. The water in the bathroom was terrible. Water pressure was low and hot water was tepid, unless you take your showers at 3am. The balcony was also locked off, supposedly for our safety. If that's the case, fix the problem, don't just lock it. Some of us like fresh air.

Another disappointment is that, despite the prices, all the standard rooms only have showers. You have to get at least a junior suite to have a bath. We were thinking that relaxing in the spa would suffice, so we set aside some time to visit the 10th floor spa, only to find, once there, that it was out of order! It had a broken filter and wouldn't be replaced until after the long weekend. I'd expect a 5-star hotel to inform guests of a major facility being unavailable and/or keep replacement filters or have a decent maintenance contract, but this hotel does none of those things. On the upside, we were offered a junior suite in compensation for the last day of our stay.

Unfortunately, that lets me know that the basic problems are the same in the west wing of the hotel as well. The thermostat still didn't respond in any way to how it was set. The hot water was still poor, though not as bad. The water pressure was so poor that it took almost half an hour to fill the bath. (Of course, that was with the hot tap only, because it would be too cold otherwise.) The reluctance to allow fresh air continued, with the windows being sealed shut.

All the staff were great and really tried their best, but I just can't recommend a hotel with such major physical failings.

3  Thank CraigDownUnder
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear CraigDownUnder,

Thank you for providing your feedback from your recent stay with us.

I was disappointed to note the challenges you faced during your stay with us and I can assure you that this is not to our usual standards.

I have messaged you my contact details so that I might discuss these challenges with you further.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Location is ok, a few blocks away from the shopping area. Friendly staff, nice bar and a very good hamburger! It is a beautiful renovated building with a lot of history, but that is the problem. There is no daylight in your room. Only far away via the atrium you can see a small piece of the sky. And all the rooms are like this, except some suites. Also the bathrooms are quite small.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Alex46_11
InterContinenta... M, Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear Alex46_11,

Thank you for sharing the feedback from your recent stay with us in Melbourne.

Whilst I am sorry to hear that you felt that our bathrooms are quiet small I am delighted that you loved the renovations which have taken place in the building. We are very lucky to be housed in such a historic Melbourne building which holds a rich Melbourne history.

I hope that if you have the opportunity to visit Melbourne again you contact us so that we may discuss some different room variations to ensure that your stay is a pleasurable one.

Sebastian Germerhausen

Reviewed 10 June 2014

My husband surprised me for my birthday with a night's stay here and I loved it. We were upgraded to a corner suite because of my husband's Ambassador membership. I loved all the different teabags provided as they were very different than what most hotels offer. The Agraria toileteries provided were also high quality, to the point that I will buy big bottles from the USA when we go there soon as it seems that's the only place you can buy them. However, they need a better shelf in the shower as it's not big enough for toileteries and everything falls off. We enjoyed the Club Intercontinental lounge for afternoon tea and the buffet breakfast in the restaurant downstairs was great. My only gripe was that there is only one guest lift at the Collins Street end and our room was way down the other end (a full block!) so if you have a lot of luggage or can't walk far, request a room at the Collins Street end.

Room Tip: If you have a lot of luggage or can't walk far, request a room at the Collins Street end as ther...
1  Thank Stormchaser71

Dear Stormchaser71,

As Ambassador Members of InterContinental Hotels and Resorts thank you for taking the opportunity to share your kind feedback.

I hope that your birthday was a memorable one and I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the little things about your stay such as the Agraria toiletries and the Ronnefeldt tea bags in your room. Sometimes I think it is the little things that make the big difference.

I hope that I might have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel for another celebration again soon.

Kind regards