“Outstanding Hotel - Perfect Service, Perfect Staff, Perfect Room”

InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
Ranked #35 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Outstanding Hotel - Perfect Service, Perfect Staff, Perfect Room”
Reviewed 9 October 2009

This is by far the most perfect hotel experience that I have ever experienced. From check-in to check-out every single staff member that we encountered was simply sensational.

We checked in for a 2 night stay over a weekend, upon driving up there were around 12 other cars parked at the entrance and checking in. As soon as the doorman saw that we opened the boot and the luggage he came across to us. Welcomed us to the hotel, explained the Valet charges ($50 per day, which was explained to use 3 times in total) and how to call for the car and to hold onto the ticket etc etc. One thing I did notice which I have never had before when my cars have been valet parked was that they completed "damage report" for scratches/dints etc which I had to sign off.

Luggage was taken for us, and we were directed to check in. Another nice thing is that the 2 sets of doors for the hotel automatically open. Not just the standard sliding doors but nice doors that open inwards. Definitely makes it alot easier for the door guys, not having to worry about opening and closing the doors each time for everyone.

Check-in was completed in well under 2 mins, which is always a big consideration for my rating a hotel. I expect to not have to wait to check-in and expect to have my room card/key in my hand in under 3 mins. I was very warmly welcomed to the hotel (valet charges explained again, they must have received alot of complaints, while $50 is "expensive" try parking your car in the CBD area for 8 hours during the day). They upgraded us from the 1 King Premium Suite to the 1 King Iconic Suite. Not sure what the difference is as they are both 123 square metres (1323 square feet). I was asked if I would like the 4pm checkout on the Sunday and I said yes, as that is part of my status with the IC group. We were also informed of our view over Collins St and that there are not many rooms that have this view. The check-on was faultless and so easy and perfect directions given to find our room.

Up to our room which was on the 3rd floor, and around the corner, through the first set of open doors, and then to our room. We opened the doors and "WOW", this is one of the largest hotel rooms I have stayed in, and for the price it's really a bargain!

The lounge room is twice the size of a normal hotel room and would be about 60 square metres. Small LCD in the middle of the room, as that's all that would fit between the windows. Bose surround sound with iPod dock. I dislike hotels that are not up with the iPod technology yet and expect people to still use CD's! Lots of chairs, in fact around 12 people could easily sit on the chairs/lounge in the lounge room. Shame there was only 2 of us there! There was a nice welcome letter for us, with fruit, chocolates and two bottles of nice mineral water.

The mini-bar area is very nice and a good choice of drinks/snacks that were not overpriced. It was also not one of those auto-charging mini-bars which are quite frustrating personally! There is also a toilet and basin near the entrance which is great for guests! Also a nice enough view over Collins St, nothing fantastic but better that looking over the inside of the hotel that's for sure.

After around 2 mins of being in the room there was a press of the doorbell, yes a doorbell, yet again when the hotel is all nice and new/renovated the technology is much improved. Luggage was here and it was taken inside our room, the bellboy had a little trouble finding where to put the bags and he apologised that he had never been in this particular room type before, and was slightly embarrassed. We told him not to worry and that he will know for next time. He was glad that we were not all upset and caused a scene over it. He did explain where the curtain knobs were located, as they are all electronically controlled. Made it very clear that we are most welcome to call at anytime for anything and made very sure that we had everything that we needed.

The bedroom is off to the side of the lounge and there is a king sized bed and a much bigger HD LCD tv in there. The location of the tv is slighting annoying as it's not right at the end of the bed, but rather off to the right on about a 35degree angle, so it gets a little uncomfortable watching it for long in bed. The bedroom is around 35 square metres

Off to the side again is the huge bathroom. which in total was around 25 square metres. Huge long sink area with double basins, lots of amenities, the most I have ever seen in a hotel. LCD tv above the end of the bath, the shower was huge again and has lots of knobs and controls for the rainfall type shower head and the standard shower head and also the 3 massage jets. The showers were very long and enjoyable that's for sure! Also a very nice orange neon light around the top edge of the room which made for a very warm and pleasant bathroom, definitely far from standard!

Also was a huge walk-in wardrobe with two umbrellas for us to use if needed. Automatic light that turned on when you walked in and turned off after about 5 mins of no movement.

As part of this room we had free lounge access and proceeded down for drinks and canapes before our dinner. Walked in and while the lounge was fairly full there were still more than enough seats left. We were very warmly greeted and shown around and asked what we would like to drink etc etc. What made this lounge very different was that there was always 2 staff working there, that were so eager to get more food/drinks/coffee/tea for you. They didn't seem to like you having to get your own drink. Very warm and friendly service and they made an effort to speak to everyone without being annoying!

We were nearly ready to leave when several plates of canapes were bought out for us. They were explained to us and we ate them very quickly as they were simply perfect. The lounge while shown to close at 7:30 was still quite busy at 8pm when we left. I thought the "closing time" of 7:30 was a little early so it was nice to know they didn't kick you out at the time shown.

We went back upstairs and since the room was so nice, decided to order room service. The meals were perfect and could not be faulted. We were told the meals would take 25-35 minutes and they were in our room in 30 mins! Perfect once again!

A perfect nights sleep on the bed, although I was woken once from people shout in the streets below, and also early (7am) in the morning by a few trams going past. We were only 3 floors up and the soundproofing is not quite soundproof. I was woken again the next morning by trams going past again, but easily fell back asleep. This would be the only area they could have improved on when renovating the hotel (more soundproofing)

We had breakfast both mornings, in the lounge as they had more than enough for us to eat, and we couldn't justify the $40 each for breakfast when it was free in the lounge. The lounge always had room for us to sit and it was never packed like sound hotel lounges I have been in. Yet again this is another factor that I value highly when visiting hotels. Breakfast had fruit, yogurt, various toast choices, muffins, cereal, scrambled eggs, bacon, mushrooms, juices, tea, coffee and various danishes.

The pool area is very nice again and the pool was very warm, which was nice as usually hotel pools are just not quite warm enough. The spa was quite warm, the sauna perfect. The gym was also nicely equipped but we did not use it as we didn't feel the need on this trip.

This is by far one of the best, if not the best hotels I have stayed in over the years. It is a few blocks walk from the main CBD area but it was nice to walk to the shops and around for a change. Taxis are constantly out the front as a taxi rank is located there so that helped. Melbourne taxis are again shocking and the several trips that we took, the drivers simply did not know the main landmark of Melbourne, so I had to give directions.

While I didn't look at the other rooms they do appear/sound quite small so I would recommend staying in a King Executive Suite or above.

The hotel spent $60 Million renovating early this year. As a "comparison" the Grand Hyatt in Melbourne has spent $45 Million and it does not even come close to the quality, service, and the rooms at the IC Melbourne. The Grand Hyatt spent all that money on the entrance, ballroom etc etc and has not touched the dated hotel rooms. The IC Melbourne spent the money wisely and the hotel is beautiful. While I live in Melbourne and thought that 2 days would be enough, I am going to book another stay next year as I had forgotten how much there is to do in Melbourne and this hotel is simply perfect from start to finish.

IC Melbourne - The bar has been set now for my visit to your various other hotels, hopefully they are all up to your standard!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AndDeee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 October 2009

Recently stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. Was in room 303 and the hotwater was not working. Explained problem to desk and went out for evening. upon return advised it was fixed but if not let them know. Checked and still not working so was offered another room which we moved to next morning without assistance (our choice to do so). Having stayed in lots of hotels and knowing things can go wrong i was surprised that no compensation offered as we had no hotwater for over 12 hours. Most hotels would offer an upgade or small gift to compensate. Also our key card removed from room and not returned and no bath mat provided on last night. A very young team and maybe down to inexperience. Other than those issues a very modern hotel in an historic building with a lot of charm. Good sized rooms and very well appointed. Did not eat at hotel so no comment there. Great indoor pool and well appointed gym.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank 9681
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 6 October 2009

Stayed at the Rialto in October 2009 for a long weekend leisure trip. The hotel was recently re-furbished, and it shows. It is a very beautiful building, with the new fittings complementing the historical facade. We thought the Bluestone Wine Bar on the bottom level in particular to be very pleasant surroundings.

Location is okay. It is about 2 or 3 blocks to the main shopping district, but there is a tram stop and a taxi rank outside if you can't walk that far. To go to the Princess or Majesty's theatre is only a short tram ride up Collins St, then 1 block's walk.

The rooms were, as you would expect, quite new, with a very comfortable large bed and flat screen tv. We stayed in a King Deluxe, which was not overly large, but well laid out and attractive.

As others have said, the windows face into the interior of the building, and you cannot access the balconies. If the curtains are drawn it is quite dark, and sleeping in is very easy.

The breakfasts were good, with a good variety, if a little pricey at $38. We also ate 2 dinners at the hotel, and found the food excellent.

What really impressed us about this hotel, though, was the staff. Without exception they were helpful, friendly and efficient.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ddkent
madison, wi
Reviewed 19 September 2009

I been in many hotels in my life, some for a long period. last two years alone I probably have stayed more than 100 days in hotels. quite a few were excellent. But this one I'd rate as my best experience overall. It is also my first time to write a review. So, what is so great?

1. you expect a hotel like the intercontinental to give you a sense of luxury. The hotel is in a very famous building in melbourne, the rialto, and they did a wonderful renovation. the layout is very unusual, but very much in style.

2. as a platinum member I got an upgrade to an x40 room. I have been in better rooms in my life (such as top floor apartments in top hotels) but overall the room was (still is, I am yet to check out!) great. about 60 sqr meters, plush living area, huge bathroom with great shower.

3. I am staying in melbourne for 2 weeks, and until this morning had had to work 16-17 hours a day, much of it in the hotel. I am fresh like in day one. first, the desk in my room is very comfortable. second, the club lounge is just right for a business traveler (will come to that later). the amenities are making it the right experience.

4. here comes the punch line. this is not a holiday inn express, this is the intercontinental. so let's talk about service. The service is first rate. the club lounge stuff is very proactive and anticipate your needs. the phone in the room has an "instant service button" and this is the only one I ever use. and the room service comes at an instance. they serve your room twice a day (morning, and turn down in the eve), and at the time of your convenience (just remove the door sign or call the instant service and they will come. 3 p.m, 4 p.m. whatever you need.) the food at the lounge is not extensive, but top quality. cheese is cheese, olives are olives, not to mention of course the espresso machine. breakfast is not extensive but again top notched.

5. location: it is on collins which reminds me of michigan avenue in chicago. that's the heart of the business center and the street is great . 5-10 minutes walk or 3 tram stops to swanston, which is about the center of the city. for me this is a perfect location.

6. finally the second punch line. Her name is Esther and she is the guest services manager. she is everywhere in the hotel, and her energy and skills are much behind the flawless performance of the front desk stuff and the club lounge stuff. When I came to the hotel I had to bargain a little about the exact upgrade they will give me, and that made me meet her. Lucky me: her personal touch added so much to the experience.

7. The only thing that gave me some challenge was the internet service. I needed a very reliable service, and at the beginning it simply did not work and was source of frustration. Later I discovered that it was the wireless connection between my room and the hotspot that did not work. I started to use the wired service in my room. at the lobby and the lounge the wireless is perfect (a bit slow in the lounge). there was once a 2 hour break in the internet service for the entire hotel. overall, the internet was fine, and I managed to do everything I needed to and in a timely fashion.

8. here is an example: in order to meet a deadline (done!) I had to get up this night at 2 a.m. ordered a wake up call (and asked my friends in america to call me if they do not hear from me at 3 a.m.). of course, the auto wake up call came in at 2. but, unexpectedly I got a followup manual wake up call five minutes later, to make sure that I am up. I sure did not ask for that, but they figured out that 2 a.m. wake up call is a serious matter and I may fall asleep after answering. isn't it great? BTW, if I do not answer x times to their morning wake up call, they will come to the room and buzz me.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank badger456
sydney
Reviewed 13 September 2009

Beautiful facade and interior, though it can remind one of a penitentiary. OHS laws deem the balconies unsafe, and as a result, one cannot venture out and enjoy the views available. Stayed in Room 910, which is above the atrium, with views out towards the SW of the city. If you ever get this room, please ask for another- it is located adjacent to the spa pump. Everytime someone activates the spa, you get this humming noise permeating throughout the room. The bathroom is nice and the bed is comfortable. Full service fitness centre, and the pool is a decent sized one suitable for laps. Good looking staff who are always impeccably dressed.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
ExecutiveInterCon, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, 28 September 2009
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your valuable comments in regards to the situation with the Spa pump. Since reading your comments, we have put a procedure in place to avoid disturbance to our guests. The Spa can now only be used during the day and our Engineering Department will switch it off by 10.00pm in order not to disrupt our guests staying in room 910.
Once again, thank you for this valuable feedback, keeping us informed about guests needs during their stay.

Kind Regards,

Manrique Rodriguez
London, England
Reviewed 2 September 2009

This is a jewel in the Intercontinental brand. Super-luxurious rooms in a centrally located landmark building renovated to the highest possible standards.

The rooms are fabulously equipped with big work desks, large flat screen TV and well equipped bathrooms with a great shower.

Breakfast is taken in the main restaurant which is an experience in its own right with it's huge vaulted ceiling. Quality of the food is superb with large numbers of staff and highest quality coffee.

This is a really expensive hotel but if you are on expenses or looking to spoil yourself then just do it.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Brisbane
Reviewed 25 August 2009

Well it's the old Mezies at Rialto. Done very nicely but you can't get aroun the shortcomings of an old building. The two most obvious shortcomingas are-
- no poryte cochere so you arrive kerbside in a very busy street
- inward atrium style wth no external windows

Service is friendly ut slow - the rest of the place physically is quite good.

Stayed August 2009, travelled on business