InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
US$91
ibis
  • Bar/Lounge
Crowne Plaza Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$206
US$157
CrownePlaza.com
  • Restaurant
The Hotel Windsor(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$176
US$85
US$79
  • Fitness centre
Mantra Southbank Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$165
US$148
  • Restaurant
Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$77
US$72
  • Restaurant
Pan Pacific Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$202
US$259
US$257
US$206
  • Pool
Art Series - The Larwill Studio(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$139
US$118
  • Fitness centre
2,315 results
All reviewsthe club loungealluvial restaurantambassador membermarket lanecollins streetjunior suitebeautiful hotelnatural lightrain showerstar hotelheritage buildinghigh teaan upgradevalet parkingbuffet breakfastcrown casinosouthern cross station
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 October 2010

The Intercontinental at Rialto is a standard corporate hotel. Rooms are comfortable and the service is that impersonal corporate style that is a bit lacking in soul. Location is not at the best end of Collins Street for restaurants, but is close to the convention centre and the casino. There is nothing much to complain about but nothing to delight either.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 October 2010

Ever since I read about the refurbushment of this hotel in 2008, I thought that I would like to try it out. As a perennial Hyatt and Hilton stayer, I had little previous opportunity to try Rialto. Anyway, we needed to come to Melbourne for the weekend, and we thought we would give it a try. We booked a King Deluxe room. The rate was over AUD300.

Arrival was fine, although there is no front of house area to park the car while you check in - you have to find a park on the street. Check in was fine, although there was no offer to take our bags to our room. The hotel is a refurbished building built in 1891. I'm no architect, but some of the refurbishing left much to be desired. Like the many different floor levels - I had to be careful not to trip when transitioning from one level to another - some of the changes in level are very subtle, and at the same time manoeuvre my luggage up and down steps (not many ramps - I'd hate it if I was in a wheel chair).

The room. Not any bigger than most rooms we have stayed in (36m2). It seems many of the rooms look into a covered atrium, so the natural light wasn't good - no street noise though (and at least there was low probablility of morning sun penetrating the black out curtains). The bathroom was narrow, but had a very large, room length surface to place your things (joy - please take note other hotels). The make up mirror with built in light was a good touch. Then our disappointment. No bath. Should have read the room descriptions. A King Premium room for about AUD65 extra (granted, it's a bigger room) gets the bath. Still for a AUD300+ per night room, you would think a bath would be included (I love a good soak). On the positive side, the shower was nice with two options, a wall mounted hand held spray or an overhead rainfall feature. That didn't make up for the lack of bath though. Next, no slippers (OK, full disclosure, I have a thing for them). We had read that part of the room description - but they seemed to have gone for a walk in (and out of) our room. The bed was very comfortable though (as opposed to the last hotel we stayed at, with a memory foam topper pad which we sort of sunk into and had to fight the memory if you change sleeping position). Next - no toothbrush. We often dispense with travelling with these as most hotels have them supplied (well, maybe not the Werribee Soffitel - that should have been a lesson to us). Rialto? Nothing either, although on calling concierge, a toothbrush was duly sent up. Next - no free wifi or internet connection. Hello. AUD300+ per night and you want us to pay $30 daily rate for a connection? The reason why there is a 24 hours McDonalds across the road became chrystal clear. And if you read the hotel web site, it says "Wireless data connection *Initial fee $0". No explanation about what the "*" was all about. No matter, this is surely misleading, and a bit of a show stopper in my view.

While we're on the topic of excessive charges, you would have wondered what happened to our car while we were checking in. Well, we had a 1 hour parking spot, so that was no problem. On check in, we were advised that valet parking was available at AUD50 per night. No thanks. I'm sure the valet chap is very nice, but at most hotels we have stayed at, this is never any more than $20-$30 (sometime free). As it turned out street parking was free after 6:00 (IIRC), and free (IIRC) on Sunday. It reminded me of a restaurant in Sydney that has valet type parking, which is free if you have a meal there, but otherwise $50 an hour. You gotta love the world of choices, don't you?

Well, that's it. Small things, I know, but irritating, nevertheless, especially when considered in light of what is on offer by the competition. This was a pretty ordinary stay in what they themselves say is "one of the city’s leading world-class hotels". World class? I don't think so (have you tried the Connaught London, Park Hyatt Tokyo or George V in Paris?). Well, guys, I have to say that if given the choice, at these rates, and with these amenities, I will be staying at one of the other leading world class hotels in the city from now on.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AussieV
Reviewed 13 October 2010

Even this hotel is refurbished and looks very good and is now named Intercontinental 5***** it is not worth to stay compared to the costs and what you get as service.
I was IHG Priority Club Ambassador and a platinum card holder. They have the regulation NOT to give access to these kind of frequent guests. This is very upnormal in this hotel.
They have not service attitude and due to this reason I cannot recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank mba4u
Reviewed 30 September 2010

In the very competitive Melbourne hotel scene, the Intercontinental is ahead of the rest like so many Intercontinentals around the world.
The first impression upon arrival was of professional staff perfectly groomed and trained, particularly the very impressive Lance.
This impression carried on through to our beautifully appointed room with five star toiletries as well.
The architecture here is stunning in a modern hotel converted to capture the best of an iconic Melbourne heritage building.
I thoroughly recommend spending a little more and enjoying the club lounge with inclusions that make it well worth your while.
Looking down internally over the superb Alluvial restaurant is another architectural highlight.
Thanks again to a wonderful hotel whose staff made a thoroughly enjoyable stay really memorable.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2010

I’ve visited the Intercontinental Melbourne twice previously, and although I very much enjoyed my stay on both occasions I had found the staff did not go the ‘extra mile’ which sets hotels in its class apart. However on my most recent visit I’m very pleased to say my expectations were surpassed.

Pros:
- The hotel and its rooms are very well appointed and finished to a high quality contemporary standard. The bed is exceptionally comfortable as are the pillows.
- The service at the Intercontinental Club Lounge is the best I have experienced; evening canapés are of a good standard, and the staff are very attentive.
- As an IC Ambassador Club member I was fortunate enough to be upgraded to an Iconic Suite. At 123 sqm it’s a great size, with large lounge with office area, including separate washroom off the lounge, large bedroom, very large bathroom with separate shower and bath (both with jets), and walk-in wardrobe – and 3 LCD TVs in all. I’d highly recommend it for a spot of luxury or that special occasion.
- The typical InterContinental touches (e.g. one-button for "instant service" on the phone, Elemis toiletries, Bose DVD/CD Player with iPod dock, the next day's weather report on your pillow).

Cons:
- The view: the majority of the guest rooms only have an indoors view of the hotel lobby - and whilst pleasant - the drawback is they receive little natural light. A number of the premium rooms overlook Collins Street, however there really isn’t much of an outlook. I do however believe the hotel makes up for it in other ways.
- The turndown service is on request only; rather trivial but bothersome for a good 5-star.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends