This place probably doesn't deserve the one blob 'terrible' rating (but no one reads the in-between reviews, do they?). Ended up here because the hotel I was originally booked into had lost my reservation and couldn't accommodate me as they were full. Having just landed from the UK after a 33 hour journey and not knowing what the alternatives might be, I accepted the offer of the "only room available" at the Mantra on Russell which was a one bedroom apartment. Did they see me coming? Probably.
To put it simply, you'd expect a lot more from a AUD$250 apartment/room. The living room was spacious but so minimally furnished that it just looked empty and characterless; acres of carpet between sofa and TV, with nothing else of interest in the room apart for the kitchenette with its heaps of overpriced crisps, nuts and drinks.
The bedroom was adaquate without being luxurious while the bathroom was yellowing, badly lit and generally old-fashioned, with the occasional hairy evidence of a previous guest.
The hotel is on the edge of Melbourne's China Town and therefore can get a bit noisy on a Saturday night. I had to walk past paramedics attending to drunk revellers lying on the pavement outside the hotel and the local bars all seemed to have muscle outside the doors and people who couldn't hold their drink inside the doors.
My biggest bug-bear is that this hotel charges a whacking AUD$25 per day for internet access. In this day and age, how can this be justified? Do they charge for tap water and electricity? For something that costs them practically nothing, this is pure robbery.
Checking out, I had two credit cards rejected. The manager said this often happened and that I would need to contact the credit card companies who could then 'unblock' my cards for use abroad. I subsequently spent the best part of a Sunday trying to contact the card companies only to be told when I got through that there was no problem with the card but that it was the hotel's machine that was at fault.
All in all, not the first-time welcome to Australia I had been anticipating and, given the superior quality of the other hotels I stayed in while I was in the country, I would definitely stay clear of this place should I return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mantra on Russell is within close proximity to all of Melbourne's premium attractions including boutique shopping, famous eat streets and a superb array of cafes and bars, theatres, sporting venues and cultural experiences. Mantra on Russell offers studio and apartment-style rooms all featuring air-conditioning, fully-equipped kitchens, bathrooms, laundry facilities and most apartments also have a private balcony. For business travellers rooms can double as an office with direct-dial ISDN telephones with voicemail, data-point and broadband access in all rooms. With a range of facilities and services including 24-hour reception, concierge service, heated swimming pool, spa, fully-equipped gymnasium and Home Kitchen & Bar located within Mantra on Russell which provides breakfast, lunch, dinner and 24 hour room service. Undercover parking is available at a cost. Maintenance Notice: Maintenance work will be carried out on the sauna from 11 December until 22 December 2017. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Mantra On Russell reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mantra On Russell Melbourne
- Mantra On Russell Hotel Melbourne