“Guaranteed to Make Your Visit to Melbourne Shine!”

Ranked #8 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 14 May 2011

Australia is my favorite country in the world (and I've been to many for my age), so I wanted to be sure to celebrate in Oz -- and boy did I made a great choice in hotels!

I reserved a double spa-king room located on the 18th floor for 5 nights. After 3 flights and 26 hours in transit, I was very happy that my room was ready for me early at 11AM. The staff was friendly yet professional, paid attention to all of my needs. Further, when they learned that I would be there over my 30th birthday, the GM promptly sent up a personalized note and a gift. It made me feel appreciated not only as a guest, but an individual and member of Hyatt loyalty program.

For starters, the room was quite nice. I don't recall the square footage, but it was VERY roomy. I had floor-to-ceiling windows...doors, actually (or at least it seemed so), which fully open to the beautiful skyline Melbourne has to offer. If you are an early riser, you will wake to views of the sunrise with dozens of hot air balloons in the sky.

The bathroom (toilet in closet), over-sized whirlpool/soaking tub with a tv console built into the marble wall. There are 2 teel, transparent glass sinks and separate shower, all of which is partitioned and separate from the living/sleeping space -- and almost the same size! Also in the bathroom partitioned area, you have a fair amount of space for clothes and luggage space.

The health club has a nice pool and hot tub, and I received a very nice 1-hr deep tissue massage. As for the other facilities, decor and all was quite comfortable and a bit lavish.

And, again, I have to compliment the entire staff. Everyone was incredibly friendly, efficient and helpful. Making it even more meaningful, the Park Hyatt is a relatively large hotel, yet several staff members inquired about my birthday -- and not while they were looking at a file on the computer that may have indicated I was celebrating. I would, without hesitation revisit the Park Hyatt, Melbourne and whole-heartedly recommend it to fellow travelers.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank Trekkingtheglobe_10
SholtoSmith, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2011

Thank you for your wonderful comments. We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay here and needless to say, hope that we can welcome you back to Park Hyatt Melbourne soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me via the hotel's main line + 61 3 9224 1234
I write this trusting you are well.

Sholto

There are newer reviews for Park Hyatt Melbourne

Reviewed 5 May 2011

We stayed at King Park Room on 17th floor for 1 night and it was a great experience. Room was huge (48 m2) with a very warm, cosy feeling. Bed was absolutely heavenly - not too hard, not too soft, with luxurious linen and plenty of pillows. Bathroom big and comfortable, with all the little luxuries you expect from a 5 star hotel: TV, scale, beautiful big fluffy towels, face washers and hand towels, bath robes with slippers, plenty of good quality shampoo, soap, conditioner, bath salts, shower gel, cotton wool, dental kit, shaving kit and the list goes on...Bath was comfortable enough for 2 people and there was also a separate shower and a separate toilet. Cleanliness was absolutely 10/10, no doubt about that. And it was sooooo quiet, we couldn't hear a thing. Reception staff was great and professional, check-in/check-out was fast and easy and so was concierge service. We had our Package inclusive of buffet breakfast and valet parking - it was worth every cent. Buffet breakfast was great and Radii restaurant was lovely, very elegant yet very relaxing and cosy. Good selection of quality food, juices, coffees/teas, breads, etc. Service great and fast, staff respectful and willing to please in any way they could. The bar downstairs was great, very relaxing and intimate atmosphere, with great service, a bit pricey but it's worth it in our opinion. Over all, we had a great, enjoyable time and we are going to come back again soon. If you are looking for a great service and an intimate, enjoyable night out, I certainly recommend this classy hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Maja1958

Thank you for taking the time to write on Trip Advisor! Needless to say we were delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and so much. We certainly hope you will return sometime in the not too distant future.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance to you.

Sholto.

Reviewed 30 April 2011

I have never been moved to write a review on tripadvisor before (have used it many times) This stay changed all that. When you arrive at a supposedly 5* hotel you expect whatever time of the day or night there to be a doorman and a bell boy to greet you a take your bags sadly there was not. Leaving Myself and my mother to haul them into the lobby ourselves. Sadly our stay did not improve at this point , we were welcomed by a rather surely receptionist who's first words where not to greet us but where to tell us they could not accommodate our late check out so we would have to pay another nights rate for the privileged. At this point (being past 12 midnight) we just wanted to go to the room and repeatably told the staff member this only for him to ignore it and continue. We also asked him if the extra bed has been placed in our room to which he said yes it had. Sadly once finally managing to convince the man we would sort out the check out in the morning he asked grudgingly i quote "are you happy to carry your own bags?" which we were obviously not.

We found that the extra bed promised was not in fact in the room .After much faffing about it was found and brought in , again sadly it was not as promised more of a child's roll-away than a extra bed . On the phone when we booked we where assured that it would be a proper separate bed and base. I as a 6 Foot tall man did not fit on the bed. A call to a manager and soon we were whisked to a smaller standard room with twin beds (none of which where avalible when we booked) obviously we did not want to move rooms twice which was the solution suggested by the slightly apologetic if not sincere night manager who said he would find a room with a larger bed of the same category which could be split but it was not available until the next day. This was little help and he seemed to care little leaving us to sort ourselves out.

After an uncomfortable nights sleep back in our original room things clamed down and looked to be sorted out( i note with no apology,call from a senior manager or note /bottle of wine) not that this is expected but it is usual practice at 5 star hotels. Unfortunately our troubles where not over. We returned from our day of shopping assured that our bags would have been moved into our new room again sadly they were not and a 30 minute wait for them ensued as we wanted to catch up on some sleep from the night before this was particularly annoying. To add to this our new room had a view of a dirty wall , tennis court and a service area at the rear of the hotel.

On the last morning of our stay we decided to go down and enjoy the buffet breakfast (having eaten in our room the previous 2 mornings) We were greeted by a large line with more than 10 groups waiting this is not acceptable. if this were a 3 star hotel with 500 rooms a would expect this but this is not it is a boutique hotel of some 240 rooms. Having stayed all over the world in many Top hotels on many public holiday weekends i have never had to wait in line before for Breakfast. We were eventually sent from the restaurant to the club lounge along with some others who were waiting inline. Sadly when we reached the club lounge things did not improve they were over stretched staff wise and we where told that Hot breakfast would take 20 mins to arrive We accepted this. Sadly 40 min's later when the said food arrived it was all wrong, we complained but ate it as we could not wait any longer. Many other guest in the lounge were also angered by this. One fellow guest had waited over an hour for his food which was also incorrect when it arrived.

That evening things went from bad to worse. We entered the radii restaurant to be greeted by nobody again not what we expected from a hotel of this standard. When we did manage to catch a staff members eye and asked for a table (we had no booking as it was a Monday we did not think one was necessary) he told us he would have to check if one was available although the restaurant was half empty. He returned and said in a rather condescending way almost as if we where luck, that there was one table left . We know this to be a lie as we observed the restaurant throughout our dinner and found that 5-6 tables were empty the entire time. As we had a flight to catch that evening we only ordered main courses and some side dishes. at this point we had an hour in which to eat before we needed to leave for the airport . After 25 mins of waiting we started to get concerned and told the staff that we need to catch our flight so could they check on the food. We were then informed by our waitress that ours was 3-4 minutes away from being ready . 10 minutes later and still no food we asked again and again were told it was very close. A further 15 minutes passed and we informed the manager that we no longer had the time to eat and would be leaving, at this precise moment the food arrived. The manager said he would make My steak complimentary as if this would fix he problem and then walked away. We attempted to eat the food but sadly The side dishes did not arrive and my mothers Fish had no sauce also my steak was undercooked. We then informed the staff we would not pay for either of the meals which we ate little of but payed for our drinks and also commented on the problems we had earlier with the breakfast, to which the restaurant manager replied that the hotel was full and that the restaurant could only accommodate 100 people at a time, at this point he became increasingly animated and to a point rude. As far as i am concerned this is not my problem if the hotel has 240 rooms it should be able to accommodate all of those rooms for breakfast, this failing points to poor management. The restaurant manager seemed to be saying that the hotel being full was some sort of anomaly which occurred out of nowhere this is wrong the hotel knew it was full this should have been communicated to the restaurant and the food and beverage manager should have made arrangements for another space/function room to be opened to take the overflow this did not occur.The final chapter of this saga was when checking out we were asked if we enjoyed our stay, we informed the receptionist of dissatisfaction he then said nothing looked unsure of what to do handed us our copy of the bill turned around and walked off.

To be fair This Hotel Does have many redeeming features, The rooms are plush and comfortable and although not new have been looked after well and upgraded. They are on par with rooms at similar hotels in Asia and Europe i have stayed in. The location is great right at the top of the city near the Cathedral and Parliament Buildings. Allowing you to feel removed from the city but still being within a short walk to all the attractions. The quality of the food in the hotel was very good(apart from the last evening, but i feel that was not down to the cooking or quality but the staff/management more so) Room service was particularly good and always on time. In this hotel I feel the product is good the but the way it is delivered is not up to standard.

When Staying at a hotel of this standard you expect the best sadly we did not receive it. It is incredibly disappointing when visiting for a special relaxing long weekend to have this almost ruined by a hotel. I am most amazed and disappointed by the lack of sincere apology from management, surely our myriad of problems was reported or was it ?

• Stayed: April 2011
4  Thank awoody91
SholtoSmith, Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your recent experience at Park Hyatt Melbourne. Your feedback is most appreciated in ensuring we continue to improve and hopefully exceed our customer service expectations and operational standards. We are very disappointed to hear that your experience was less than satisfactory, particularly the bedding configuration difficulties you encountered, the absence of bell desk staff and the service indiscrepancies in radii restaurant & bar.

Please be assured that I will be following up these pressing issues with the relevant departments and every effort will be taken to ensure this does not happen again. I offer my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience that may have been caused and I do hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel and rectify your experience with us.

Regards,

Reviewed 26 April 2011

What can I say about this great hotel. Ok lets start from the beginning, I booked this hotel for me and my partners Autumn Getaway which fell on the extra easter long weekend.

This was my first choice hotel and than I was tossing between crown towers, westin and quay west suites but in the end I could not escape Park Hyatt for its rich decor and grand lobby which I saw in photos and internet.

I booked for 3 nights in a Park King Suite and got room 1951. We were greeted with a nice smile from the door man and concierge. When you enter you notice the grand lobby is so elegant which reminded of the titanic movie stairway where Rose is walking down to meet Jack but this was bigger. Then as we proceed to check in it was quick and efficient. Our room was very clean, electronics were functioning fine, and the air con was easy to use.

Turn down service was great as well, as they left lindt chocolates on our pillow, lined up our shoes and folded our clothes every night we were there. Room service was quick and prompt after 5 minutes of my phone call what I asked for came.

To be honest I cannot fault this hotel, no matter how hard I tried. It felt like what they do was done effortlessly, they didnt even need to try cause 5star treatment to guest was like normal to them. Park Hyatt is classy, sophisticated and located in a great place where u can feel like u escape the city noises and relax. Im so glad i didnt book the other hotels which were more central Park Hyatt Melbourne is in a league of their own as far as Im concerned.

Thank you to all staff at Park Hyatt Melbourne for making my Melbourne Autumn Getaway great and relaxing. Definitely recommend this for romantic getaway.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LorieNakasenh

Thank you for taking the time to write on Trip Advisor!

We were delighted to hear that you and your partner enjoyed the Easter Weekend here at Park Hyatt Melbourne and what, with so many hotels to choose from, that you chose the "right one!"

We appreciated your positive comments which I can assure you have been shared amongst the hotel team.

We certainly hope you will return sometime in the not too distant future.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance to you.

Sholto.

Reviewed 26 April 2011

This hotel is in a magnificent location, just across the road from The Windsor.
The building is all timber panels, and totally lacks soul.
We had a King Room over Easter, which was a pleasant room, wonderful bed & pillows.
The problem arises should you wish to eat or drink in this hotel.
On our first afternoon we sat in the lounge bar on the ground floor, drinking a beautiful 2005 Shiraz, costing $12 per glass. At five o'clock this bar closes, so we adjourned to the downstairs bar for another couple of drinks prior to attending a live show.
The final mouthful of wine contained a half cup of red wine dregs, consumed in subdued lighting. When I complained, I was told that you always get that in a bottle of red.
Please do not purchase a breakfast inclusive package.
This hotel has a very limited capacity to cater meals, in comparison to the number of guests.
The net result is a massive queue, and extremely angry patrons.
We went to breakfast at 09:00am on 25th April 2011.
At 11:00 am we had not eaten, and went out for a beer instead.
Don't waste your money. There is far better value to be had in Melbourne.

• Stayed: April 2011
4  Thank Nigel_747400

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor about your stay here at Park Hyatt Melbourne. Of course it was rather disappointing to read that you did not enjoy all aspects of your stay here and needless to say it is concerning that you left the hotel feeling that all was not as it could have been. I would be delighted to welcome you back to enjoy High Tea for two people and should you wish to take me up on this offer, then please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

I hope we are able to redeem ourselves.

Sholto

Sholto Smith (Mr)

Reviewed 21 April 2011

Had the pleasure of staying the night at the Park Hyatt recently. Whilst I had been to numerous business meetings at the Hotel it was the first time that I had stayed overnight. The presentation of the hotel has an art deco feel which impresses immediately on entery. Location is good with tram stops within 100m from the front door meaning convenient access into the CBD. Our room was on the 10th floor and although not having a great deal of natural light was set out well with all luxury appointments. Bathroom and clothes /baggage storage were quite spacious whilst the actual bedroom was not but was very comfortable nonetheless. The airconditioning was difficult to follow in trying to determine a comfortable temperature and was really only approached on a trial and error basis.
Only small gripe was the the shower ressure could be cranked up a little and that one of the taps fell off. Other than that it was an enjoyable stay and would highly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2011

Not been since 2006. Good executive area and buffet breakfast was very nice they had a honeycomb. Got told off for wearing hotel slippers to the breakfast which was funny.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family