“Poor Location-No Soul”

Ranked #10 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 5 January 2012

As a five star hotel, the Park Hyatt has all the things one would expect like robes and slippers but I found it was very bland from the grand but soul-less reception area to the hallways. The service was adequate but did not give that feeling of welcome that some hotels seem to give.
My main reason for the poor rating is that everything is an added extra in addition to the already high room tariff such as parking($40) internet access (25) Bottle of water in the room (6) and the abundant but overpriced breakfast at $45. Also with the breakfast I was presented with the bill without being asked if I was finished which gave me the impression I was to leave.
As for the location, it is in a back street behind the parliment which is a fair distance from the city centre. Considering the number of quality hotels in the CBD or along the riverbank there are many more appealing places to stay.
In short, nothing really wrong, but nothing really right.

Room Tip: City View rooms are available which would be nicer than the courtyard
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank MarcusBVictoria
SholtoSmith, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2012

Thank you for posting some comments on Trip Advisor. I had every intention of responding to you sooner than I have but due to a glitch in the system I have not been able too.

All that said I can only surmise that you really did not enjoy your stay here and due to so many factors. Almost too many to mention. While we aim to please I am aware that we cannot all of the time but and while saying that, I would of course like to think that you would return and when you do we would be able to redeem ourselves.

Please let me know if you would like to make a reservation so that I can personally look after you.

All of my details are listed below and I look froward to hearing from you.

I write this trusting you are well.

Luxury is Personal

Write a ReviewReviews (2,969)

Reviewed 2 January 2012

I have just returned from my first stay at the Park Hyatt, Melbourne and can safely say that I will be back! I stayed with a friend for two nights over the new year period.

The property is stunning and is true to the images on the website. The lobby and the downstairs function areas are an exquisite combination of elegance and tranquility.

We stayed in a club deluxe king room, which was located in the Cathedral Wing (at the end closest to St Patrick's Cathedral). The room was spacious, immaculate and beautifully designed and presented. We loved everything about it from the moment we walked in - from the comfortable bed, to the spacious lounge area, the marble bathroom (with deep spa bath, separate shower, his and hers sinks and tv) and the large dressing room. We requested a quiet room, and did not experience any unwanted noise or disturbances at any time.

We enjoyed outstanding service,despite staying during a peak time. The staff are a credit to the hotel. We arrived at about 11am on the day of new year's eve, and to our very pleasant surprise we were escorted to our room immediately. We appreciated the helpfulness, courtesy and friendliness of all of the staff we encountered during our stay. Everyone from the concierge, to the kitchen and wait staff to the housekeeping team looked after us perfectly and made our stay a pleasure in every way.

We used many of the hotel amenities during our stay and were very impressed. We had access to the Park Lounge on the 19th floor, and found it to be a beautiful place for mid-morning coffee, and drinks and canapes in the evenings. The view is stunning and the lounge has an amazing sense of ambience. The lounge staff were very attentive and friendly. They made an effort to learn our names and faces and greeted us warmly each time we came in.

We also had an amazing time at the day spa on new year's day. The service was luxurious, relaxing and first-rate. I can't recommend it highly enough. We also used the pool and the gym in the health club each morning and evening. Although the gym was a little on the small side, the equipment was modern and suited our needs.

We had breakfast and lunch in Radii restaurant and could not fault it. My only suggestion would be to consider retaining the a la carte dinner menu during special events. We had hoped to have a light dinner there on new year's eve before heading out to another engagement, but unfortunately only a degustation menu was available.

We also loved the Tea Lounge, where we enjoyed high tea with a friend, evening drinks and afternoon cocktails. Although nicely presented and quite enjoyable, the high tea wasn't of the same standard as other five-star hotels or high-end restaurants I have frequented.

For example, the tea was served in glass plungers rather than bone china teapots and was brought out much later than the tiered platter of food. The savoury food was a little bland, the scones were barely warm and not terribly fluffy, and the remaining sweets were pretty basic. The key thing I look for in a high tea is attention to detail - each item should be a miniature work of art! This was a pity as the lounge is a perfect setting for high tea, and closer attention to detail could see the Park Hyatt become one of Melbourne's best high tea venues.

But this is a very minor grievance and all in all, we had an amazing stay. I would not hesitate to recommend the Park Hyatt to anyone who is visiting Melbourne.

Room Tip: To minimise any background noise, request a quiet suite when you make your booking. Park lounge acc...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for writing a review on Trip Advisor.

I apologise for the time it has taken for me to respond to your message but I have been experiencing various woes which saw my access to write responses rendered null and void! Thankfully that is all sorted now and may that continue!

All that said, I was thrilled to read such positive comments and indeed suggestions in relation to your stay here at Park Hyatt Melbourne.

You simply must let me know when you plan to return so that I can personally look after your accommodation requirements.

All of my details are listed below and I look froward to hearing from you.

I write this trusting you are well.

Reviewed 1 January 2012

While the Park Hyatt is a bit out of the City center, it is a fabulous hotel. The entrance is an artist's dream come true. The rooms are ample and very comfortable. Next door is an amazing Cathedral. Even the entrance driveway is reminiscent of an estate. You really cannot go wrong with this exemplary hotel. The restaurant was more like a Manhattan City center all night service bistro. The only improvement may be a bit more variety in the eating options and a location that is a bit closer to the City center. I would not stay anywhere else in Melbourne unless it was shown to be better.

Room Tip: View over the courtyard entry.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bwhite2001
Reviewed 30 December 2011

I wanted to move in. Me and my partner stayed at this hotel for his birthday celebrations and the hotel room we were in was big enough to stay forever. We had the most enormous bathroom. Two basins, a huge spa with a tv in it, mirrors everywhere. Was loving getting ready in that. We also had an amazing view. windows that opened all round and a fire place. Bed was king size and comfy and we also had a huge wardrobe. We had the best time. It was perfect :) breakfast served in our room the next morning topped it off. !! cant say enough..was 1000 stars

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah T
SholtoSmith, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post comments on Trip Advisor!

I apologise for not writing sooner but I have been experiencing issues with my log in and security thereof. Now all sorted though.

Your comments were glowing and for those I must thank you! It would seem we ticked all the boxes and in a good way! Please let me know when you plan to return so that I can personally look after your reservation.

I write this trusting you are well and thank you once more.

Kind regards,

Sholto Smith

Reviewed 14 December 2011

This is a sexy hotel! Sexy entrance, sexy lobby and sexy room!
Spending Valentines Day there was absolutely perfect! The bathroom is so amazing that there is even a TV on the wall on top of the spa! Trust me, it was fantastic and very very romantic!
The bed was comfortable and the service was right up there with the best of the best! The bar downstairs is beautiful and the courtyard outside is very relaxing to sit and have a drink or a coffee!
Loved every minute of my stay at the Park Hyatt and as I am a Melbournian - I look forward to staying there many times again! Would be a great hotel for my wedding night!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank El_Pago

Thank you for taking the time to post comments on Trip Advisor!

That said, I was very pleased to read all of your positive comments regarding your stay during Valentines Day in 2011. The latter just around the corner again and with that I would like to say that I would be only too delighted to assist you with your accommodation requirements should you with to return to Park Hyatt Melbourne to celebrate the occasion!

Please find below my contact details.

I write this trusting you are well and we look forward to welcoming you back to Park Hyatt Melbourne.

Kind regards,

Sholto Smith

Reviewed 28 November 2011

What an amazing place. If all hotels were like this one, reviews would be redundant. My wife and I have travelled to many places and stayed in many top hotels and this would rank right up there at the top. Even though we had a room with no view (conference block booking), it was beautifully finished, plenty of room with all the comforts you would expect from a quality hotel but sometimes look tired or are not there at all - tv over the spa bath, robes, quality fittings, larger than average-size room, excellent service.
Will definitely be making this our preferred Melbourne hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank suppersready56
SholtoSmith, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post comments on Trip Advisor! I especially liked your heading!! "WOW!"

It would certainly appear that we were able to meet your expectations and that all in all you both enjoyed your stay here. We would be delighted to be your hotel of choice here in Melbourne and with that said, I would be only too happy to assist you with your accommodation requirements. My details you'll find below.

I write this trusting you are both well and thank you once more for your super comments!

Reviewed 28 November 2011

We stayed here the Melbourne Cup Week. The hotel was busy but the staff managed it all very well and the service was excellent! The bedrooms - ours was large and clean, we vote this hotel as having the best bath! We were there for a week so really appreciated the extra space, the downside of the bedrooms - they charge for the water they put by the bed, they charge really high internet prices. Executive Lounge - well worth having access to this room, the view of the city is wonderful, the two ladies that looked after you were so lovely, we looked forward to seeing them each night and the varies foods on offer were too good, no dinner was required after. Downside, we would have preferred Breakfast to be available there everyday, not just Sunday. The Concierge, Jason was so helpful and friendly, he was full of great suggestions for us to fill our days, and anything we wanted to do he made sure we were able to do so without any hassle - nothing was a problem to him, he is by far the best concierge we have met! Unfortunately, we have to say be careful this hotel has a thief! My wife left a bracelet in our room and as we were out for a full day it was not noticed as missing till the following morning, unfortunately, it was our check out date and we were travelling to a timetable so we were not able to pursue this matter fully. The hotel were made aware of it and we will now be following the matter up with them fully. So - 4 Great Point, 3 Bad Points!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple