“Good hotel, bad service”

Ranked #10 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Hotel service - is it the differentiator that has us repeat visitors choosing to stay at one hotel versus the other in the same 5-star category? Will we overlook one or two blemishes and focus more on the positive of the remedy than the negative of the cause? Do hotel workers in Miami care more about their patrons, their brand and their job than their counterparts in Melbourne? We have rated this 5-star hotel an AVERAGE, 3 out of 5 given the relevance of each of the above.

From arrival to departure, the relationship between hotel worker, their employer and this guest was strained. We arrived on a Friday night and needed a quick check in so we could leave to host a work related client function - clearly informing the concierge of this fact. We wanted to take our bags up to our room post check in but were assured that the bags would be in the room as soon as we were. This was made very possible because reception did not have our reservation.

Rather than make enquiries, reception asked if we could forward our email confirming reservation (reasonable) because the reservations part of the hotel was useless (not acceptable). We were allocated our room (more on that later). After just under 25 minutes of waiting for our bags, I went down to see the guys at concierge leaning on the bag trolly. When I picked the 4 bags off the trolly they apologised...too late guys. The excuse - Lady Gaga is staying at the hotel. Well guys, Lady Gaga was at her concert when we arrived, so it was not her fault.

The hotel is one of the top 3 in Melbourne (we still favour the Hilton at South Wharf). It is ageing but not quickly. The rooms are large and the layout (featuring corner baths) is good. Amenities include toothbrush and shaver, which we like, although you only get two towels. Bed is hard (nowhere near Westin dream bed quality) and no pillow menu. Mini bar is basic.

The first night, we may have been sleeping in a sauna (despite it being 4 degrees outside). We needed two visits from the service room to get it fixed.

We were travelling as a family and hesitantly opted for a twin room. Despite no reference on the hotel website, twin means twin singles - we consider this unusual. This renders the Park Hyatt unsuitable for families, unless you book two adjoining rooms at double the rate. The hotel catered for us by delivering good quality trundle beds.

Pool and gym facilities were very good Australian hotel standard. The spa looked good too.

Breakfast - a major factor in the way that we rate a hotel - was the buffet at Radii. Omelettes were great, scrambled eggs ok, choice was limited at best. Once again, the service was poor. On two occasions we had to advise the waiter that we were NOT finished, the second time one of us had the fork up to the mouth when the waiter was attempting to clear the plate. For $40 a head, we expect more.

The hotel charges for in room Wifi - up to $29 a day. Lucky they don't get to charge for air.

Our 3 out of 5 rating was affirmed at our departure - we called in advance requesting our car. After waiting (the now obligatory 15 mins) for concierge we asked for it, only to hear that they didn't get the message. Poor Lady Gaga...we are sure she would have been blamed.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write such a details critique post your recent stay at Park Hyatt Melbourne.

Post reading your comments I can only say how disappointed I am in that you both left the hotel feeling this way about our service and facilities. Certainly not how we want any of our guests to leave the hotel and with that said I have taken all of your comments on board and will make sure that they are shared with the team.

I would hope you will both return and when you do that you will give us a second chance so that we can redeem ourselves.

Please contact me directly.

I write this trusting you are well and thank you again for your post on Trip Advisor.

Email: sholto.smith@hyatt.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,964)

Reviewed 2 July 2012

The Park Hyatt Melbourne is in a distinctive location of the city. The hotel offers a warm residential ambience, exceptional levels of personalized service and all the contemporary luxuries required for the discerning travelers.

We stayed in a club deluxe room which was enormous in size; it was furnished beautifully, and had everything you would need to be a pampered guest. We had a wonderful breakfast each morning and the club floor was excellent with wonderful wines, champagnes and an exceptional array of yummy hors d'oeuvres. One night we went to the club room after touring for 12hrs and that was our dinner. As in other large chain hotels wifi comes at a hefty daily rate, but that is free on the club floor too! We also had their high tea one day and it was just lovely...

The service in this hotel is wonderful with a warm, friendly yet very professional staff. A must stay in Melbourne!

Room Tip: I can't imagine there is a bad room in this hotel!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 18rusty
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

Thank you for your lovely post on Trip Advisor.

I do not know where to start in terms of what to say to you as your feedback was just so positive and it seems that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay! The latter I hope can be repeated and when indeed you have dates in which you would like to return then I would appreciate your contracting me so that I can personally look after your accommodation requirements.

I trust you are well and thank you once more for your super post.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 1 July 2012

An impressive hotel in a great city location with lovely facilities and spacious rooms. Wish they had a sheet though instead of just using the quilt cover. A room glitch was fixed well and Radii restaurant for dinner was excellent. Banquet staff were exceptional but Front Desk really had no personality or friendly vibe. Concierge were outstanding though. Could suggest having better quality tea in the rooms - there is a better quality option served at functions but not in the guest rooms. Would return happily.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank TCK33
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post comments in Trip Advisor.

While I can see you enjoyed most aspects of your recent stay with us, I can also see that you felt not everything was up to scratch. The positive thing there is that all the points raised are easily fixable and should you decide to return then I would request you book through me so that I can assist you. In saying that we can make your bed the way you like and can also arrange for another brand of tea to be placed into your room. I will also speak to our front office manager about the importance of addressing guests in a warm and friendly manner.

I trust you are well.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 1 July 2012

Having stayed in a few good pubs in my day this hotel is on top to the list. My wife and I have stayed here 3 times. Location is good, walking distance to restaurants and not far from the MCC. Our room was a Park King and it was very very comfortable. The room is large and well laid out, big bathroom with 2 sinks, a large spa bath and plenty of towels, mats etc. The comfort of this room would be improved by a better lounge sitting chair. Room service is first class - the chips arrived 'piping hot' Overall a very comfortable and well run hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the park, otherwise you might get a inwards looking room or a brick wa...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mountburra
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

I am writing to thank you for your recent post on Trip Advisor.

I was really very pleased to read how you and your wife enjoyed your recent stay here in the hotel and that you have been here before. I hope that trend continues... All your comments have been taken on board, the positive ones about the chips have been shared with our chef and the matter of that of not enough seating is also something that I have taken on board. Some of our rooms do have a sofa along with an arm chair and I would be delighted to ensure that you were allocated one of these when you next stay with us. Just let me know via any of my contact details below.

I trust you are well and look forward to welcoming you both back to Park Hyatt Melbourne soon.

Reviewed 29 June 2012

I stayed in Melbourne for work for two nights. When I arrived I was greeted with a smile and check in was so fast. I was so impressed with the size of the room, the super comfy pillows, the overall cleanliness and the fairly modern amenities. I ordered room twice, which was just amazing from when I called to order to when the trolley was picked up. Food here is fantastic! Everybody who works here is so polite, friendly and down to earth - I think a lot of other hotel brands (e.g. Accor, Mariott) could benefit from learning how it is done at the Park Hyatt. If only all Australian hotels and resorts were as great as this one - I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank loraleedonaldson
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your recent stay with us. From what you have written I think very safe to say you enjoyed every aspect of your time here. Thank you too for sharing this with your colleagues and friends!

I certainly hope you will return and when you do that you will contact me to assist you. It would be my pleasure.

I trust you are well and we look forward to welcoming you back to Park Hyatt Melbourne soon.

Reviewed 27 June 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here over the weekend and it was fantastic! Walking into the hotel we were impressed it looks great and the staff make you feel at welcome as soon as you pull up out the front. The room was amazing as was the hotels restraunt. We ate there for breakfast each day and dinner once and everything was perfect.
No one complaint this hotel was excellent!!

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gemzbuck
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post comments on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay here in the hotel. That said I can see that not everything was perfect in that the pillows you felt were too soft. I wanted to advise that we do have other options so when you do decide to return can you please contact me so that I can personally look after your requirements and happily.

I trust you are well.

Best regards,

Reviewed 24 June 2012

My boyfriend and I had a spa room and it was wonderful!! Great room,a lot of space. Just lovely! Only one little thing I would like to mention is that pillows were too soft for us, my head sank during the night and I woke up couple of times to adjust my pillows, otherwise it is one of the best hotels I have ever been too.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple