“Under powered staff and a hotel that wants to fleece you.”

Ranked #6 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
“Under powered staff and a hotel that wants to fleece you.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

Second time I have stayed here and will be the last. It really grates when a hotel that charges this much then also fleeces you for the small things. It ruins the experience to not have a complimentary bottle of water. They charge £5. We are a group here on business and they charge £30 per day for internet connections when we are already paying for an event here. The breakfast is good but hits you for another £40. It goes on and on and leaves a bad taste in the mouth. The staff are helpful within limits but anything that requires a modicum of empowerment has to be referred up the chain with assurances that you will be called back by their supervisor.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Airborne100
SholtoSmith, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, 2 September 2012
Thanks for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

Of course I was not very happy to read all of your negative comments but have taken these on board and have shared with the team here.

The Internet is a service that we buy from a contractor and we then on sell this. That said, we are looking at this as we speak and with resolve in mind. However and as already mentioned, the contractual matter is making this a little more complicated than just changing the set up.

I hear you re the water. That said, the tap water in Melbourne is drinkable and of course we filter it further, so bottled water is not really necessary. We could arrange for you to have complimentary on your next stay though... Lastly your breakfast and the charges there of. I can see that this also upset you and I am sorry. Rates here are exclusive of breakfast, the latter can be packaged in and would always be suggested by our event sales team when they contract group accommodation. We also have a Club option which includes continental breakfast and hot is an additional $8.00 per person, which is in my mind, good value for money. The club benefit also represents great value for money as it also includes, all day tea and coffee and soft drinks, and then in the evening, evening drinks and canapés. All of this is served in our Park Lounge (breakfast Monday to Saturday inclusive in radii and in the Park Lounge on Sundays).

Please contact me directly when you plan to return so that I can personally look after your accommodation.

I trust you are well.

Email: sholto.smith@hyatt.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

Currently staying at the Hyatt had been told i had a city view when booking checked in and got a oview ikof a concrete wall, called the front desk and was shifted which was appreciated. Was also told ii had a 1 pm check out prior to paying and then checked this evening and was told not later than 12:30pm no biggy but inconsistant. I was also told by reservations i could have breakfast in room or at Radi but on checking with reception this evening was told only the buffet was relevant. I really hate inconsistancies. When staying at a hotel i really like the truth. one other thing is that we were told we would get a childs rollaway bed put in our room when we went for dinner and this never eventuated. Lovely hotel but service is inconsistant which is disappointing for the good staff we experienced. Guterres room 1764

Room Tip: city view is a must you need a view thats what makes this hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
SholtoSmith, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, 6 September 2012
Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor.

While I read you enjoyed your stay, it was evident that you experienced many issues as you highlighted as being inconsistent levels in service and for this I am truly sorry. Your comments have been shared amongst the team and have been used during briefings and our weekly operations meeting. Feedback of this nature is invaluable for us as it only enables us to improve on what we are doing.

I hope that you will return to Park Hyatt Melbourne and that when you do, you will contact me directly so that I can assist.

I trust you are well.

Kind regards,

Phone: +61 (0)3 9224 1243
Adelaide
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2012

I stayed at the Park Hyatt recently while in Melbourne for a professional exam. This was a very stressful time for me, but the hotel decor, ambience, and, in particular, the service, went a long way towards making up for this. There were numerous personal, thoughtful touches, which were appreciated.

I also had my family with me, and my toddler was welcomed warmly. When I realised I had forgotten to purchase milk for his evening drink, some was supplied without a moment's hesitation from the staff. Our club room was more than spacious enough for the rollaway bed without any sense of being cramped.

I had an excellent meal in radii, and the breakfasts were very good.

I will look for an excuse to stay again!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Thanks for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

I was really happy to read your glowing review about your recent stay. It was also very comforting to read your comment about the milk, or lack thereof as the case maybe and our staff arranging this for you. This is the kind of behaviour that we encourage so your letting me know that this happened was like music to my ears!

I hope you find an “Excuse” to return and that when you do you will contact me directly so that I can personally look after you.

I trust you are well and hope your exam result was that of a great one!

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2012

I had stayed at that many hotels in Melbourne until the Park Hyatt. This is Hyatt at its best. Perfectly presented, nestled in tranquil surrounds, it lends an ambiotic feel of relaxation without loosing the world class persona of the brand Hyatt.
The rooms are generously spacious and well equipped with luxurious bathroom facilities and again, SPACE.
Radii is the perfect dining experience gelling ambience and excellent food.
The service standards leave no room for error with even the most menial staff offering to make your stay unforgettable. The gym and indoor heated pool are just magnificent.
It is well located just on the CBD rim allowing for smooth commute and a skip away from the the subway and tram station. Just a leisurely walk away is the heart of Melbourne's shopping district as well as famous food outlets including Chinatown.
Unless you're only interested in gambling all day and night, this is a far superior choice than the Crown given it's convenience and overall presentation.
St Patrick's Cathedral - just next door - just tops off the essence of class that surrounds this facility.

Room Tip: Ask for a Club Room
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Phimmortal
SholtoSmith, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, 27 August 2012
I really enjoyed reading your positive review on Trip Advisor. They really captured the essence of the hotel and it’s surrounds so and with that said, I was delighted!

I am assuming you have stayed here before and needless to say I hope we can welcome you back again soon. Please let me know when you do plan to return so that I can personally look after your requirements.

Very best regards,

Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

This is a fantastic place to stay no matter what the occasion! We have been there many times and my now fiancee thought it so special he chose Radii (restaurant inside the Park Hyatt) to propose.
Make sure you book at least one night with the club room included to sit back enjoy the nibbles, wine & view.
Close walking/tram distance to all the wonderful things Melbourne CBD has to offer.
We will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view and get the package including the Club room ...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nicole C
Thanks for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor!! Congratulations on your getting engaged too! That’s great news and we hope to be able to welcome you and your fiancé back to the hotel soon. Perhaps as part of your wedding or indeed honeymoon... Do let me know if you would like information on any wedding related matters.

Wishing you all the best and looking forward to welcoming you back to Park Hyatt Melbourne.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

Never dissapointed love the place, easily the best hotel in Melbourne to stay for those looking for luxury accomodation. From a special occasion to business you located just outside the CBD so you dont feel closed in. Amazing architecture and rooms

Room Tip: Park King is fine, get a spa for a bit more fun
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jace1979
We appreciate your positive comments on Trip Advisor! Thank you !!

From what I read I think fair to say you enjoy our hotel for both business and leisure which is great! Always good to hear positive comments about the design of the hotel too!!

All the best,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

Decently sized rooms with jacuzzi bath, tv in shower room. Note they will not make up the room unless u light the request button. Location is great, there is a nice breakfast place right outside the hotel. Near to key interesting dinner areas such as flinders street and little burke (chinatown)

• Stayed August 2012
Thanks for taking the time to post a review on trip advisor.

We appreciate your positive words and of course were pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope you will return and when you do that you will contact me directly so that I can personally assist you.

All the best,