“Elegant stay in the city”

Park Hyatt Melbourne
Ranked #10 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We have just returned to Sydney from a long weekend in Melbourne staying at The Park Hyatt. A warm welcome from the concierge ( who took our bag immediately) through to a friendly informative receptionist was a good start. Our room ( Park Royal ) was very well appointed - everything had been thought of - big room, king bed,luxury bedlinen, armchair, glass table and chair, tv, fridge, lovely spacious bathroom with huge corner bath, ( with tv!) his'n'hers glass basins, big shower - loved the separate loo. Loads of hanging space with quality hangers etc. Pretty view across the street to the Cathedral and very quiet. Our floor to ceiling doors opened for fresh air which was lovely. We requested extra earl grey and english breakfast tea each day which was supplied, plus the skim milk. We did have an issue with one of our bedside reading lights which had a protective cover missing and I touched it to move it without realising it was scorching hot - nearly took 2 fingertips off! However, when mentioned to reception they swiftly organised maintenance to replace it which duly happened within a few hours. If I am to nitpick I do think the curtains needed a good wash as they were really grubby at the top - & they didn't close properly due to broken hooks. We were also asked if we'd like a newspaper in the mornings which we said yes to but we didn't get one on any of the 3 mornings. Small details really.
However a late check out was happily organised to coincide with our flight so over all we were really happy with our stay. The location in Parliament Square is also excellent with just a short walk to the top of Bourke & Collins Street and access to the brilliant tram system. Many lane ways hiding superb cafes and restaurants are also within walking distance. We would happily return and recommend.

Room Tip: If you are after a mega view, presumably the higher floors provide that - but we stayed in a 'ba...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Brett_Sweetman, Hotel Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear TealyPuff,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your stay at Park Hyatt Melbourne.
I am glad to read you enjoyed your stay at our well located property, and the team assisted in providing you with a pleasant stay. Your feedback in regards to the “small details” is appreciated and will be followed up with the team at the hotel.
We thank you for choosing Park Hyatt Melbourne, and look forward to welcoming you again next time you are visiting Melbourne.
Brett Sweetman – Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,969)

Reviewed 21 July 2014

On a recent Melbourne sojourn I spent 3 nights at Melbourne’s Park Hyatt.

From the moment we arrived at this prestigious 5 star hotel, we were treated royally. Porters who welcomed us said, “welcome to the Park Hyatt Melbourne”, then took our luggage from our taxi to our room. One can almost tell from the first few moments of any hotel visit whether you were going to enjoy your stay. The front desk was equally attentive and explained some of the hotels facilities, and then we were escorted to our room by one of the front desk staff. Our room, on a club floor, had magnificent views overlooking Melbourne; we were on the 14th floor of the 19 floors. Ask for a front facing room for the best views.

A club floor room offers the added benefit of being able to use the very elegant and comfortable Club Lounge and its many great options. Free Internet throughout the hotel makes keeping in touch very easy.

Coffee, biscuits and soft drinks are complimentary in the Club Lounge throughout the day and from 6 to 8pm in the evenings, a large selection of spirits, wines, beers and soft drinks as well as substantial snacks of the highest quality are complimentary. If your planning to have dinner, skip the clubroom, as it’s so hard to not fill up on their tasty and elegant food.

We choose the breakfast option in Radii, the hotel restaurant. A large selection of the highest quality breakfast fare, plus cooked to order eggs etc. Their eggs Benedict, a favourite, were perhaps the best I have ever tasted.

Our suite had all the amenities one would expect in a 5 star hotel. I particularly liked the very large walk in dressing room. Coffee pod machines were greatly appreciated. In the front facing rooms, the French balcony doors opened, allowing lots of fresh air, which I love.

A lounge and very comfortable seating made watching the cable TV a pleasure.

Perhaps the only complaint was that our suite was so inviting, it was hard to leave it to sample the nearby shops and sights.

Situated on the fringe of the CBD, one escapes the hustle and bustle and noise, but it’s only a few minutes walk to all the action.

Voted the best hotel in Melbourne, it certainly deserves the title. Can’t wait to return.

Room Tip: High floor front of hotel. Club room best, well worth extra charge.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Mr Pond,
Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feedback following your stay at the Park Hyatt Melbourne in June 2014.
I am pleased to read you enjoyed the hotel facilities and the Park Hyatt Melbourne team made your stay memorable.
I look forward to meeting you when you return to Park Hyatt Melbourne in future.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I'm currently staying at the Park Hyatt in Melbourne. After a nice welcome the night before, I must say that the rooms are rather outdated and definitely need an update. Also the furnishing of the hotel is definitely not up to the standards of a Park Hyatt - it rather looks like a Grand Hyatt from the 90ies. Also I must say that the bathroom hygiene wasn't what I expected - long black hair in the middle of the bathtub and remainders of black oily fluid in the shower don't leave a good impression. Nevertheless, the welcoming service was okay (despite the lobby boy asking for the booking name although there were name tags visible on my luggage which he should have spotted when arriving - something you can expect from a hotel of this class)

Next morning I left the room at 9am with the Make Up My Room indicator on - returning at 2pm, the room was still not serviced. Very disappointing! In addition, the lobby seating facilities are not sufficient - like 10 tables in total. Considering this is the only (!!!) space in the hotel, where you can sit, have a meeting and eat/ drink during the day, this is ridiculous. All seats were taken when I planned to have my lunch meeting there. In a hotel of this class you would expect that there are other restaurants open during the day - there aren't! Half of the tables were taken my tourist couples reading travel guides of the city and not having a single drink/ food item ordered. Very annoying considering there are no other options. After complaining, I was granted access to the hotel's lounge on the top floor which interestingly is about 4 times the size of the lobby lounge. Considering the lounge was empty, the hotel should re-consider its prioritisation. Also worthwhile mentioning that it took us about 10 minutes to actually access the lounge with the access card of the receptionist - something that's known and the reader/ the door must be broken according to the very helpful receptionist.

Overall, a rather disappointing experience. Happy to leave tomorrow. All other items are just about okay. Nothing really worthwhile mentioning or exceptionally great which you would actually expect of a hotel of this class. Clearly one of the worst experiences I had in a Park Hyatt so far!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Sebovoh
Brett_Sweetman, Hotel Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear sebovoh,
As discussed following your check out from Park Hyatt Melbourne, I was disappointed to hear that our hotel did not meet your expectations. I apologize for the inconvenience caused in regards to our housekeeping oversights during your stay, and can assure you this is acceptable at our hotel. Your comments have been shared with the Park Hyatt Melbourne team.
As mentioned, should you be returning to Melbourne again please feel free to advise me.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

As a regular visitor to Melbourne where a luxury hotel is a main focus of our stay, we had found ourselves taken for granted by The Windsor and had been underwhelmed by the over-priced gaudiness of The Langham. As a spur of the moment choice this time we tried the Park Hyatt and it will definitely now be our first choice for any future stay in the Victorian capital.

The hotel is tucked away on Parliament Place behind Parliament House, yet in a delightful area of tree lined streets with lovely, nineteenth century architecure, lawns, parklands and the Gothic Revival St Patricks Cathedral. One is away from the hustle of the CBD but only a few minutes walk from Spring Street and the Paris end of Collins Street. The hotel was in easy walking distance for us to Federation Square, the Arts Centre, Southbank and Carlton Gardens. Melbourne is a very walkable city and on one day we happliy strolled from the Park Hyatt to DeGraves Street for a late breakfast, on to Docklands for afternoon drinks by Victoria Harbour and back via Lonsdale to Carlton Gardens before finishing with tapas and wine with Chloe in Young & Jacksons overlooking Federation Square. of course Melbourne trams are in easy reach on Spring Street, including the free City Circle tram.

One is aware right from the beginning that a luxurious visit awaits; the first sight of this attractive modern hotel being at the end of a pretty drive, lined with flowers (a host of cyclamens for our winter visit on the June long weekend) in between Victorian terraced buildings. The staff are the epitome of courtesy and friendliness from the eager to help door staff to the charming and efficient check in desk. The hotel foyer is impressively luxuriant without the over the top flashiness and kitschy glitz that can be misinterpreted as glamour in some other hotels (the Langham again springs to mind !)

We stayed for five night in a Park King Room on the 12th floor for the reasonable price of $ 279 a night. Our room greatly exceeded our expectations in its size, amenities and decor with tasteful wood panelled walls, a huge bed and a nice view over the hotel's interior courtyard with the cathedral peeping over the roof tops.

The bathroom/dressing room area was enormous. A huge spa bath, a generous shower (with extra side jets for a massaging effect), a separate W.C., twin glass vanities, marble tiling, an abundance of thick luxury towels, and the decadance of an extra TV in the bathroom. There was always a generous supply of beautifully fragrant Le Labo Bergamotte 22 soaps, lotions and ungents, generous toileteries (I liked the idea of a little bottle of mouth wash) as well as slippers, fluffy bathrobes, even nicely presented embroidered linen laundry bags (one of the many lovely small attentions to detail - reading lights at the bed, classy do not disturb lighting and privacy locks on the door rather than a tatty carboard sign on the door knob, and even the newspaper delivered in the hotels' own carry bag on the door instead of plonked on the ground). The dressing area has plenty of storage space and quality tea and coffee facilities including a Nespresso machine.

It would be very hard to find any fault with this wonderful hotel (if I had to, I could perhaps say that the mini bar prices were a little high) and I heartily recommend a stay here and I am eagerly looking forward to our next visit

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Scott P

Dear Scott P,
Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feedback following your stay at our hotel. It is pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel.
The location of Park Hyatt Melbourne is convenient for both leisure and business guests, and your appreciation of the facilities and services we are able to provide will be shared with the hotel team.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Park Hyatt Melbourne next time you visit Melbourne.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

The location may not be as central as the Grand Hyatt, but being in Parliament Square, gives it the tranquil and serene environs right in the bustling city. A ten minute walk puts you on Bourke or Collins Street, or the tram stop.
The hotel lives up to its name of a Park Hyatt in all ways. The appointments, decor and overall feel is definitely five star. Service was excellent from doorman, reception and housekeeping. Adele at the Front desk was very helpful with all queries and reservations. Indeed an excellent staff member.
The rooms are very well appointed, relaxing and clean. Bathroom is large and adequate, but the shower was ill-designed and water splashed outside the shower, hence it was a dangerous step-out onto the marble floor!
Breakfast in Radii was sumptuous. Large buffett. Sheila and Matilda were always cheerful and attentive.
The availability of a Club Lounge, at a Park Hyatt, is an unusual, but certainly welcomed, facility. The evening presentation was nicely done, and food of a high standard.
Definitely the only place to stay in Melbourne.

Room Tip: as high as possible. rooms facing the Cathedral are nice.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chiahhwang
Brett_Sweetman, Hotal Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear chiahhwang,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your detailed review following your stay at Park Hyatt Melbourne. Your comments regarding our staff members are much appreciated and will be shared with the team
It is great to hear that you took advantage of the facilities at the hotel and enjoyed our ideal location.

Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the deluxe spa, and the hotel is really good - the staff are super nice and it's a great hotel.

The only downside for us was the view, I paid extra for city side and was really hoping this would be a highlight of our nights stay .... But room 1457 looks out into the middle of the hotel, and it's not pretty. There's a cathedral there, but you feel sorry for it! The hotel boasts amazing views, and I wish I'd ensured I got a room with one.

The spa room is amazing though, and we had a great nights stay there. There's a private bathroom and tv in the wall. Hot tub is massive and it's a real treat. Really enjoyed our stay overall in Park Hyatt.

Another thing - $8 a beer is a bit steep, putting it in the fridge is the same price as someone serving you now then?!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Sean Mc M
Brett_Sweetman, Hotel Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Sean Mc M,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback following your stay at Park Hyatt Melbourne.
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the Park Hyatt Melbourne team were able to make your stay enjoyable.
If your view did not meet your expectations on this stay, could I please suggest you request a city on your next visit. Views can never be guaranteed, however we do everything possible to provide our guests with their requests, and meet their expectations.
I look forward to your return to Park Hyatt Melbourne.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I stayed here for just one night when I visited Melbourne for a conference. I had the basic ( and I use that term loosely) park royal room. I can honestly say, it is the best hotel I have ever stayed in anywhere in the world, and I have stayed in many. The room was huge, and every single amenity that you could possibly need was supplied. From bath robes and slippers through to sewing kits, shaving kits and tooth brushes. There was a huge marble bath, and a large walk in shower. There was even a tv in the bathroom so you could watch tv while enjoying the bath. The bed was fabulous with the softest, fluffiest pillows you can imagine. On top of all this luxury, the staff were friendly, helpful, and completely unpretentious. If you ever go to Melbourne, please do yourself a big favour and stay here. I can promise you, you won't regret it. I will definitely be back.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank kazza3

Dear kazza3,
Thank you for sharing your feedback, I am glad you enjoyed your first stay at Park Hyatt Melbourne.
Our guest rooms are well equipped, and the ideal size for both leisure and business guests to enjoy whilst visiting our great city.
I appreciate your recommendation, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Park Hyatt Melbourne next time you are in Melbourne.