“Wonderful classically grand hotel - quiet location, spacious rooms, excellent service.”

Park Hyatt Melbourne
Ranked #6 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Although I left Melbourne more than 10 years ago, it was my home town of nearly 30 years, so when I travel there for work and do not stay with relatives, I am very selective as to where I stay. The Park Hyatt has always been my husband's preferred hotel in Melbourne when he travels there - last year we chose to stay together at the Westin which we both thought was fabulous, so I wasn't sure what to expect on my first stay here at the Park Hyatt (the venue for which I was attending a work meeting).

The location of the Park Hyatt is great - it is in a quiet upmarket pocket of the CBD, adjacent to the Fitzroy Gardens and across the road from the cafes of Little Collins St, and easy walking distance to the shops of Collins St, Bourke St etc. The hotel itself has beautiful grand decor, although its classical look is starting to look a touch dated in some areas - housekeeping & maintenance is immaculate though and about the only thing I would suggest is that a change of carpet in the corridors & rooms soon would probably be all that's required to lift the decor a little. The staff were extremely welcoming, friendly & courteous.

At check-in I was delighted to be informed that I'd been upgraded to suite 1247 & was granted a 12.30pm check-out. The suite was on the 12th floor, facing north over the church with plenty of natural light, consisted of a separate living area with gas fire, huge bathroom with separate toilet, and a large dressing room. It was a lovely spacious suite, and to be honest, for all the 5-star hotels we have stayed in, it had one of the biggest hotel bathrooms I have come across! Whilst I am not a fan of white marble, it did look grand & luxe!

Features included:
- Beautiful gas heater in the living room
- Dimmable lighting in all rooms
- Flat screen TVs - living room, bedroom, bathroom
- Large dressing room with safe
- Divinely comfortable bed & pillows a plenty
- Nice amenities

Unfortunately, the breakfast looked absolutely sensational, but I didn't get to enjoy it. I ordered it at 8am, I rang to query it's late arrival at 8.40am and then when it finally arrived at 8.55am, I was running out the door for my 9am meeting, so had to leave it sitting there uneaten. By the time I arrived back in the room at noon for the lunch break, it was cold and far less appetising than what it would have been at 8.30am. Disappointing for a luxury business hotel.

Overall, it was "an ALMOST perfect stay"….. if not for the mishap with my breakfast order. Judging by the otherwise high level of service, this would appear to have been an isolated unsatisfactory event, and had it not occurred, my stay would have been perfect...

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Brett_Sweetman, Hotel Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear CarKri02, Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feedback following your stay at our hotel. It is pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay.
I am however disappointed to read your comments regarding your breakfast order and ask that you email me with some more details on melbourne.park@hyatt.com so that we can look into this further.
Yours sincerely
Brett Sweetman – Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

The hotel needs a good make up! Great position, great pool, nice art-deco' interiors, nice bathrooms with T.V. integrated in the wall above Jacuzzi bathtub but average service, average food and over- used rooms. I hope they will undergo very soon some renovations. It deserves them.

Room Tip: Rooms facing South have better view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Brett_Sweetman, Hotel Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Emanuela883,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your review following your stay at Park Hyatt Melbourne, I was disappointed to read that the hotel did not meet your expectations.
Should you wish to contact me to discuss further, please feel free to call me or email me on melbourne.park@hyatt.com.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

My partner and I stayed at Park Hyatt Sydney last year and thought it would be fun to check out Melbourne's version when we had a weekend down there recently.

In short, we were really impressed. I think it is really the staff that bring the place over the line. They were constantly a source of delight; everyone we dealt with provided excellent and friendly service, from the concierge to reception to the Park lounge to the room service.

The place isn't as shmick as the Grand Hyatt given it is a little bit dated, but given the age we were really impressed with how clean and well-kept everything was. We had a Park King Club room I think it was called; huge! It was well and truly a suite by the standards of other hotels! It was laid out well and was super-cosy, especially with the gas fireplace.

Being on a club floor, we had the free continental brekkie, but if you wanted to upgrade to the full hot buffet it was a mere $8 extra per head which I thought incredible value.

The 6pm-8pm drinks were lovely too, exactly what you would expect and comparable to other hotels of this standard.

All in all it's a wonderful hotel, yes about ten years old so not brank spanking fresh, but excellent all the same. Wonderful Hyatt service.

Room Tip: King Club Room - it is huge and has a gas fireplace!
1 Thank BrisOutwards
Brett_Sweetman, Hotel Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear BrisOutwards,
Thank you for your feedback, I am glad to read you enjoyed our property and the services offered with a Park Club Room. Our Club Lounge offers great views of Melbourne and provides a good opportunity to relax.
Your appreciation of our customer service will be shared with the hotel team, and we look forward to seeing you again at Park Hyatt Melbourne.
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

The rooms at the Park Hyatt are large, mattresses and pillows are very comfortable and the bathrooms are terrific, with a great shower and with two sinks. The location is perfect. The hotel is central but not right in the heart of the shopping, restaurant area. Close to subway station and the on/off bus. The staff are very helpful and suggested wonderful restaurants.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Beverley R
Dear Nexi1,
I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments following your stay last month.
Your comments regarding our friendly staff and great location are appreciated by the Park Hyatt Melbourne team.
Thank you for your positive feedback, we look forward to you returning to Park Hyatt Melbourne next time you visit our great city.
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Have stayed here on business & with my family on a few occasions & am never disappointed.
Cheap sparkling wine & chocolates on arrival.. It's possibly the best hotel in Australia, although I'm told the 'Richardson' in Perth is great..

Everything you'd expect from this iconic brand, I would have given it 5 Stars, although my only slight criticism would be be that I reported a minor problem to the reception & I never heard anything more!!?

Could be really great, just need to be consistent in everything..!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear philjc_12,
Thank you for sharing your feedback following your stay, we appreciate you choosing Park Hyatt Melbourne whilst staying in Melbourne.
I do apologize for your minor problem not being rectified during your stay. This is not acceptable in our property and your feedback will be discussed with the team to ensure this does not happen in future.
Thank you for your feedback, I look forward to welcoming you back to Park Hyatt Melbourne next time you visit Melbourne.
Perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Enjoyed a two night stay recently. Staff and customer service as expected for a Hyatt hotel - excellent. Convenient location near Parliament House and Fitzroy Gardens. Close to the tram and subway stations. Walking distance to all your needs and the Melbourne CBD. Comfortable room and everything you need for a pleasant stay. Enjoyed the pool and spa facilities - a welcome relief after two long days out and about exploring Melbourne. Recommended for those that enjoy the lush gardens of a big city..

Room Tip: Get a room away from the road facing the Cathedral. The bell ringing may annoy you.
Dear phillc26,
Thank you for sharing your relaxable and enjoyable experience following your recent stay with us.
Park Hyatt Melbourne provides an ideal location for its guests, and our staff continually strive to ensure your stay is pleasant and enjoyable.
We appreciate your feedback, and look forward to you returning to Park Hyatt Melbourne when you next visit Melbourne.
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

The staff and facilities were excellent. Spa area and massage treatment was great!
However ..............................
Was very disappointed that it was my partner's 50th Birthday and I requested if we could maybe have a surprise - like room with a view. What we got was a room overlooking concrete buildings. Very poor and thought some effort could have been made - even a bottle of bubbly would have been nice!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, but requests are not taken into consideration - as per my review!!
Dear MargieM,
Thank you for sharing your comments following your stay at our property earlier this month. I will be happy to pass on your appreciation to the Spa team following your enjoyable treatment.
Park Hyatt Melbourne enjoys sharing special occasions with its guests and I am sorry your special occasion was overlooked during your stay. Please allow me to follow up with the team and address this matter.
Thank you for your valuable feedback, we look forward to seeing you again.