“Elegant style, spacious rooms”

Park Hyatt Melbourne
Ranked #6 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Wonthaggi, Australia
“Elegant style, spacious rooms”
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night to go to the footy at the MCG. What a surprise we got when we entered our room. It was huge! The walk in robe actually walks through to the ensuite where there was a separate shower and bath complete with its own flat screen tv built into the wall. The hotel is situated behind Parliament House at the eastern end of the CBD and an easy walk to most of the major theatres and, of course, the MCG. The check in and checkout both went very smoothly and all the staff we came across were very courteous and helpful. The best two things about this hotel are the quiet location and the size of the rooms. We will definitely stay again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Brett_Sweetman, Hotel Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Ageef62,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your stay in May.
Your comments regarding our great location and helpful staff are greatly appreciated by the Park Hyatt team. We appreciate your positive feedback and look forward to you returning to Park Hyatt Melbourne.
Yours sincerely
Brett Sweetman – Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I love this hotel based on two seperate visits and got an ok deal ($285 per night), however thats were the positives ended.

I found the price for car parking a bit OTT based on my late check in and early departure (& in fact asked if I could move my car to a nearby car park but was told there would be a daily cost anyway).

I had been paid for a job in cash that day, so also tried to pay in cash, and was told that I would have to pay double and get the rest back when I checked out. I paid for the room in cash, and decided to leave a refundable bond.

Given my room key and found I was being directed to the Hyatt "wing" above the restaurants, next to the church and bus depot. I was hopeful of a nice view as I was on the 8th floor but in reality it was the 2nd and pretty noisey.

The room was gracious and very big, but very very tired.

On check out I was told the refundable bond, was not and so the cash sitting in my pocket had to stay there.

All in all not the service I expected. I will go back to staying in the other Hyatt from now on.

Room Tip: Get rooms in the main complex the higher the better, facing the City.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Martin C,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback following your stay at Park Hyatt Melbourne, I was disappointed to read that the hotel did not meet your expectations.
Should you wish to contact me to discuss further, please feel free to email me on melbourne.park@hyatt.com.
Melbourne
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We were lucky enough to get bumped from St Vincent's Maternity Ward to the Park Hyatt with the birth of our daughter recently. I cannot talk more highly of this beautiful and luxurious hotel. ALL staff are wonderful the hotel facilities are excellent, in a beautiful setting if you are looking for a luxurious experience there is not much that can touch this in Melbourne. The bottom end rooms are large and well appointed you can even get a suite with a fire place. The spa we had over looking the Cathedral was just stunning.

Room Tip: Don't go on the tenth floor that's where the maternity suites are! But e loved it, non-mater...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Mickibbo, Thank you for your feedback, I am glad to read you enjoyed our property and the services offered after transferring from St Vincent’s. I am glad to learn that you enjoyed the view of the cathedral from your room and your appreciation of our customer service will be shared with the hotel team, and we look forward to seeing you again at Park Hyatt Melbourne.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Although I left Melbourne more than 10 years ago, it was my home town of nearly 30 years, so when I travel there for work and do not stay with relatives, I am very selective as to where I stay. The Park Hyatt has always been my husband's preferred hotel in Melbourne when he travels there - last year we chose to stay together at the Westin which we both thought was fabulous, so I wasn't sure what to expect on my first stay here at the Park Hyatt (the venue for which I was attending a work meeting).

The location of the Park Hyatt is great - it is in a quiet upmarket pocket of the CBD, adjacent to the Fitzroy Gardens and across the road from the cafes of Little Collins St, and easy walking distance to the shops of Collins St, Bourke St etc. The hotel itself has beautiful grand decor, although its classical look is starting to look a touch dated in some areas - housekeeping & maintenance is immaculate though and about the only thing I would suggest is that a change of carpet in the corridors & rooms soon would probably be all that's required to lift the decor a little. The staff were extremely welcoming, friendly & courteous.

At check-in I was delighted to be informed that I'd been upgraded to suite 1247 & was granted a 12.30pm check-out. The suite was on the 12th floor, facing north over the church with plenty of natural light, consisted of a separate living area with gas fire, huge bathroom with separate toilet, and a large dressing room. It was a lovely spacious suite, and to be honest, for all the 5-star hotels we have stayed in, it had one of the biggest hotel bathrooms I have come across! Whilst I am not a fan of white marble, it did look grand & luxe!

Features included:
- Beautiful gas heater in the living room
- Dimmable lighting in all rooms
- Flat screen TVs - living room, bedroom, bathroom
- Large dressing room with safe
- Divinely comfortable bed & pillows a plenty
- Nice amenities

Unfortunately, the breakfast looked absolutely sensational, but I didn't get to enjoy it. I ordered it at 8am, I rang to query it's late arrival at 8.40am and then when it finally arrived at 8.55am, I was running out the door for my 9am meeting, so had to leave it sitting there uneaten. By the time I arrived back in the room at noon for the lunch break, it was cold and far less appetising than what it would have been at 8.30am. Disappointing for a luxury business hotel.

Overall, it was "an ALMOST perfect stay"….. if not for the mishap with my breakfast order. Judging by the otherwise high level of service, this would appear to have been an isolated unsatisfactory event, and had it not occurred, my stay would have been perfect...

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear CarKri02, Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feedback following your stay at our hotel. It is pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay.
I am however disappointed to read your comments regarding your breakfast order and ask that you email me with some more details on melbourne.park@hyatt.com so that we can look into this further.
Yours sincerely
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The hotel needs a good make up! Great position, great pool, nice art-deco' interiors, nice bathrooms with T.V. integrated in the wall above Jacuzzi bathtub but average service, average food and over- used rooms. I hope they will undergo very soon some renovations. It deserves them.

Room Tip: Rooms facing South have better view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Brett_Sweetman, Hotel Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Emanuela883,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your review following your stay at Park Hyatt Melbourne, I was disappointed to read that the hotel did not meet your expectations.
Should you wish to contact me to discuss further, please feel free to call me or email me on melbourne.park@hyatt.com.
Regards
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My partner and I stayed at Park Hyatt Sydney last year and thought it would be fun to check out Melbourne's version when we had a weekend down there recently.

In short, we were really impressed. I think it is really the staff that bring the place over the line. They were constantly a source of delight; everyone we dealt with provided excellent and friendly service, from the concierge to reception to the Park lounge to the room service.

The place isn't as shmick as the Grand Hyatt given it is a little bit dated, but given the age we were really impressed with how clean and well-kept everything was. We had a Park King Club room I think it was called; huge! It was well and truly a suite by the standards of other hotels! It was laid out well and was super-cosy, especially with the gas fireplace.

Being on a club floor, we had the free continental brekkie, but if you wanted to upgrade to the full hot buffet it was a mere $8 extra per head which I thought incredible value.

The 6pm-8pm drinks were lovely too, exactly what you would expect and comparable to other hotels of this standard.

All in all it's a wonderful hotel, yes about ten years old so not brank spanking fresh, but excellent all the same. Wonderful Hyatt service.

Room Tip: King Club Room - it is huge and has a gas fireplace!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BrisOutwards
Brett_Sweetman, Hotel Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear BrisOutwards,
Thank you for your feedback, I am glad to read you enjoyed our property and the services offered with a Park Club Room. Our Club Lounge offers great views of Melbourne and provides a good opportunity to relax.
Your appreciation of our customer service will be shared with the hotel team, and we look forward to seeing you again at Park Hyatt Melbourne.
Toronto
Reviewed 27 July 2014

The rooms at the Park Hyatt are large, mattresses and pillows are very comfortable and the bathrooms are terrific, with a great shower and with two sinks. The location is perfect. The hotel is central but not right in the heart of the shopping, restaurant area. Close to subway station and the on/off bus. The staff are very helpful and suggested wonderful restaurants.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Beverley R
Dear Nexi1,
I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments following your stay last month.
Your comments regarding our friendly staff and great location are appreciated by the Park Hyatt Melbourne team.
Thank you for your positive feedback, we look forward to you returning to Park Hyatt Melbourne next time you visit our great city.
Regards