“pure luxury”

Ranked #7 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
adelaide
“pure luxury”
Reviewed 17 January 2010

We arrived in melbourne for new years eve on the 31st booked at the clarion suites when we went to check in they offered us a lower floor which was unsuitable to see the fireworks from the room we have a 4 and 6 year old so we were planning to see the family fireworks at nine in the yarra park then return to the room to watch the 12 oclock with my husband with the kids asleep. we were not happy with the clarions offer so we asked for our money back $800 which we paid for several months before. we were stranded all hotels were booked luckily my husband found the park hyatt, we went over straight away, we are used to 5 star hotels and luxury so we booked a room for $585 pn when we arrived the same thing happened we were offered a lower floor, we explained our plans to the manager but instead of not caring, they were wonderful let me express absolutely so accommodating, for an extra $100 we upgraded went up to our room the top floor my goodness it was the diplomats suite, the room was magnificent fireplace office equipment television in the bathroom i could not explain the luxury have a look on their website you will be impressed the room rate was normally $2000 pn, we had a wonderful time everything went to plan and started us on a wonderful holiday,, thank you park hyatt next time we stay in melbourne it will be with you.. cheers

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Paris
Reviewed 11 January 2010

As has been observed in other reviews of this hotel, I thought the room was great (a rare example of genuine 5-star in Australia) but the service was terrible (they should spend some time at 5-star hotels in Asia if they need to learn how it's done). Expect long check-in queues, the bell boys to watch with disinterest as guests lug their own suitcases into and out of the hotel and a general attitude of "my way or the highway" by the staff. A 5-star room in a 3-star service-level hotel.

2 Thank CTMParis
Mooroolbark
Reviewed 10 January 2010

We stayed here for the second night of our honeymoon. After having a late night with the wedding the night before we found the beds so comfortable it was hard to stay awake. Room service was impeccable and the food gorgeous. I love the Hyatt specifically this one although it is quite a bit dearer than the Grand in Melbourne so we tend to opt for the grand when we have the children with us.

Beautiful place unfaultable!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
nyc
Reviewed 8 January 2010

Spent some time in Melbourne at year end. Hotel is gorgeous, service top notch. Regency club area staff especially wonderful.

Australia
Reviewed 7 January 2010

I chose to splash out for two nights in Melbourne and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. The rooms were majestic and the service was gently attentive. My room was spacious with a huge telly, comfy bed and nice soft pillows.

The only problem (which I was aware of in advance) was the monstrous price tag. I can't complain because I certainly was aware of it. I probably wouldn't stay there again as I can't justify spending so much money on a hotel, but if I did have the spare cash I would pick the Park Hyatt.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 6 January 2010

Rooms at this property cannot be faulted. They are comfortable and spacious - exactly what you would expect when paying this amount of money. If your main motivator when selecting a hotel is the room then this place is for you. [Caveat: the doors to the rooms are very thin enabling you to hear crystal clear everything that happens on your floor - and probably vice versa too!] If you're the kind of person who is interested in the total package that includes not just a great room but service that makes sense - if not exudes luxury - then you're better off down the road at the Grand Hyatt, the Westin or the Windsor.

The nitty gritty: we're easy going people and had to laugh at the guy taking the room service orders on NYE - full of attitude that would get him a role on "Desperate Housewives" - when all we wanted to know was how long our meal would be. Breakfast the day before was way over-cooked and the meal my partner ordered for dinner on NYE was not available - understandable on one of their busiest nights - however we were only told 20 minutes after ordering/waiting with the comment from Mr Desperate Housewives "Apologies sir, the kitchen has had an urgent request." which immediately translated to us as "your order is not as important as others". The Concierge did a great job of talking us out of trying to get into a top restaurant with the "It's impossible to get a reservation" line, yet without even trying for us out-of-towners. Less than an hour later and after deciding we did actually want to try the restaurant we found the number, tried ourselves AND got the reservation. Staff at Reception were unable to raise their heads to greet guests as they came and went through the lobby during the entire 5 days we were there. Valet staff must have gone through a different training program as they did an excellent job in greeting guests. A nice touch at a luxury property like the Park Hyatt would be to acknowledged by staff, if not greeted by name. A smart move would be to tell guests how long to expect before their room service meals might arrive. A Concierge-like thing to do would be to try and get guests reservations (and then collect the tip once having tried). I will resist the tempation to go on.

The bottom line for us is, with all the fantastic options for accommodation in Melbourne it isn't worth the gamble staying at the Park Hyatt.

2 Thank LuxeTravelerHK
Tokyo
Reviewed 3 January 2010

When traveling for business I don't have time to juggle arranging meals inside and outside the hotel, booking meeting facilities, organizing fax/printers, etc. and that's the reason why I choose to stay at a hotel that can take care of it all for me. My 4 days were spent chasing the concierge or room service or the business center - all people who work together but for some reason don't communicate with each other. I got bored with the excuses of why my meals consistently took more than an hour to arrive, or why I needed to wait 2 days for restaurant reservation confirmations, or why it took several hours to deliver faxes to my suite. A common theme from the reviews here seem to point out an incongruence between the stunning rooms and poor service.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business