“Good location - a few improvements could go a long way”

Metro Apartments on Bank Place
Ranked #111 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Good location - a few improvements could go a long way”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We stayed here over the long weekend. The location was good and fortunately we didn't have any noise problems however;
* I'm not sure how old the mattress we were sleeping on was but I could feel a spring in my back when lying down
* there was no spare bedding in our room and when I asked at reception for another blanket I was given a very strange look and after a 5 minute wait was present with quite an old worn looking blanket, apparently the only spare one.
* We could not figure out how to open the windows - it got quite stuffy at times
* Some of the TV channels weren't programmed correctly, either extremely quite, or didn't fit the screen correctly.

If the above issues weren't there we would go back time and again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
MetroAptsBankPlace, Manager at Metro Apartments on Bank Place, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Dear Lauren H,

Thank-you for choosing to stay with us at Metro Apartments on Bank Place in Melbourne, and for leaving your feedback after your stay.

We appreciate any chance to improve the overall experience of our guests while with us, and since reading your feedback we have thoroughly investigated the condition of all of our beds and have in fact ordered replacements for a number of mattresses.

We apologise for the lack of freely available extra bedding during your stay; unfortunately during the last long weekend we had a large number of guest parties arrive with additional guests that had not been previously registered and our supplies of spare linen were unusually taxed. We would like to urge all travellers that when the accommodation needs of the group change that they contact their accommodation prior to arrival to ensure that there is sufficient time to make arrangements for additional guests to be suitably and comfortably accommodated.

If you ever come across room facilities which do not meet your expectations please don't hesitate to contact staff on duty; it is generally a simple request to do such things as retune a TV or explain the workings of the double-glazing on the windows so that you may have a comfortable accommodation experience.

If you have any further feedback to offer we are keen to hear it, please don't hesitate to contact us directly at the hotel.

Harsha Karunaratna - Property Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Reviewed 6 April 2014

My husband & I booked this apartment on Saturday 5 April 2014 for the night to attend the Comedy Festival. We had a fantastic day, enjoying Hardware Lane & Jeff Green @ The Forum.
That, unfortunately, is where the fun ends. Instead of a restful nights sleep after a big day, I spent the night without sleep until 3am due to a nightclub directly behind our room.....
I informed the staff at Check Out that I was less than impressed, only for the (clearly) rehearsed and feeble suggestion that I should have informed the night staff, so they could call the Police to investigate the noise! On the following Monday morning,(this morning) I called the hotel Manager and pass on my dissatisfaction. His response was Gobsmackingly galling.
1. Try to give me a lesson on Melbourne's Nightclub Scene and their location......
Even after I informed him that I am, in fact, a Melbournian & partial to a nightclub.
Just not IN MY BEDROOM!!
2. Suggest that, due to me having booked through a Third Party, I was not entitled to any form of
Recompense......TRAVELOCITY - TAKE NOTE - Classic handball......
3. Last, but by NO MEANS LEAST...... He kindly offered me a night at the hotel,
Not COMPLIMENTARY as you would expect, but at a DISCOUNTED RATE!!!
Suffice to say, I declined to take up the opportunity to lose any further sleep, which leads me to the crux and moral of this story....... Had I done my homework, I would have seen the
MANY TRIPADVISOR REVIEWS dating right back to 2008, warning of the inevitability of sleeplessness that a Saturday night stay in this Establishment will bring. BUYER BEWARE.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Emjayscob
MetroAptsBankPlace, Manager at Metro Apartments on Bank Place, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Hello Emjayscob,

We are sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction after your recent weekend stay with us. We make no secret of the fact that we are located in the central city, nearby to some nightclubs which operate on Friday and Saturday nights and we certainly take the utmost care not to advertise ourselves in a way that would allude to being in a quiet location.

We apologise that these outside factors that impacted on your experience of our accommodation. Though we have no direct control over the night clubs we have 24 hour reception and staff are always available to assist you with your issues. On some occasions when the nearby entertainment establishments may generate an excessive amount of noise we can contact the relevant authorities to investigate and they are usually quite swift in bringing the sound levels back down to within local regulations. Our night staff are also able to assist in checking to ensure that the double-glazed window panels and block-out curtains in your apartment are appropriately placed for maximum noise dampening. Unfortunately, we cannot take this action when we are not made aware of the disturbance disrupting our guests.

We urge not only our guests, but any travellers experiencing issues of any kind, to contact the staff on duty with their accommodation provider; it is always preferable for all parties involved that the chance be given to address issues as they arise rather than for guests to simply suffer the inconvenience at the time and seek recompense after a stay that does not meet your needs and expectations. We also recommend that anybody who is a particularly sensitive sleeper or has any other specific requirements to contact the property prior to arrival to discuss your needs and which apartment type would best suit your requirements during your stay.

Emjayscob, we hope that you will reconsider the offer of a discounted future stay; please contact us directly to advise the dates you may require and we will be happy to discuss the alternate room options which would best suit you.

Harsha Karunaratna - Property Manager

Travellers are raving about these Melbourne hotels

Brisbane
Reviewed 2 April 2014

My wife and I enjoyed 9 nights here to attend a conference at the nearby RACV Club (one minute walk away) and pre and post conference tours. We were very pleasantly surprised. Don't be put off by the steps leading up to a very ordinary frontage and very modest reception area and lifts that are not ultra modern. This is a boutique hotel establishment that definitely hits the mark. We had a room on the 9th floor with a king size bed, which was very comfortable. We liked the fact that the living area and kitchen and the bedroom were separate rooms. The kitchen was more than adequate and well stocked with eating and cooking utensils. We cooked quite a few meals here. The lounge area was small but we were comfortable watching the TV there. The bathroom facilities met our needs. We found the staff very efficient and helpful. What we particularly liked was the fact that this hotel is in historic Bank Place, one of those charming laneways that Melbourne is famous for, running between Little Collins and Collins Streets. Bank Place just oozes history with its jewel in the crown being the Mitre Tavern, 100 metres away and the oldest surviving building in Melbourne. It's a great place to relax and enjoy a drink or a meal after a hard day's touring. These Apartments represent excellent value for money and being in the heart of the Melbourne CBD you could not better the location.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello OrderintheHouse,

Thank-you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us at Metro Apartments on Bank Place during your trip to Melbourne.

We do indeed pride ourselves on the provision of a home-away-from-home setting for our guests on their trips and our staff are always keen to do the utmost to keep you happy during your stay.

We hope that you will return to see us again next time you are in Melbourne.

Harsha Karunaratna - Propery Manager
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Apartment was well furnished, a little small but didn't bother me as I was there on my own. Great location and for the price well...can't go wrong.

My only gripe would be that the bed was uncomfortable; as hard as a board.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
MetroAptsBankPlace, Manager at Metro Apartments on Bank Place, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Hello RichardW,

We appreciate that you have taken the time to leave your feedback after staying with us at Metro Apartments on Bank Place.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay though we hope that you were able to speak to reception or our housekeeping staff regarding your bed; thought the comfort level mattress firmness is subjective we are always happy to do whatever possible to cushion a firm mattress to your tastes.

We hope to see you again next time you are in Melbourne.

Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

Very comfortable room and private. Little problem with access for disabled persons with a wheelchair. Some noise in the early hrs of the morning from the Irish pub behind the building when closing. Clean and well stocked cutlery and crockery. All in all lovely rooms just right for short stays.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank John R
MetroAptsBankPlace, General Manager at Metro Apartments on Bank Place, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Hello JohnR (and Susan and Michelle),

Thank-you very much for taking the time to leave your feedback after your recent stay with us at Metro Apartments on Bank Place. We are glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay, even if access up the front steps was a little tricky for you.

We hope that we get to see you all again next time you are in Melbourne.

Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

What a disappointment. The appartment is small and even though I am on the seventh floor I am not going to be able to sleep. It is 1.25 in the morning and the noise from the nearby clubs is unbearable. The bedroom is very small, and the T.V is on a cabinet in the living area - you swivel it around to see it from the bedroom. I am booked for three nights, but if I don't get any sleep tonight I will have to find somewhere else. I would not stay here again!

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Gillian W
MetroAptsBankPlace, Manager at Metro Apartments on Bank Place, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
Hello GillianW,

We appreciate that you have taken the time during your recent stay to leave your online feedback.

We hope that you also took the opportunity to contact our 24 hour reception staff to inform us of your issues with the outside noise; though we have no direct control over this situation we are able to contact the local licencing authorities and police on your behalf if the nearby premises are causing disturbance to your stay.
We see that you did not depart the hotel prior to your booked departure date, so we presume that the noise did not continue to effect your stay so dramatically, though we would appreciate if you could contact us directly to discuss this issue in greater detail.

We hope that you will consider staying with us again next time you are in Melbourne. Please contact our reservations department directly to discuss your booking needs, and you can do so in the knowledge that we have staff available 24 hours to assist you with any concerns that you may have during your stay.

Harsha Karunaranta - Property Manager
Reviewed 21 February 2014

My partner and I stayed in a one bedroom apartment and it was pretty good for a last minute getaway. Entering the room, I would say it was on the average side, and could have been rearranged a bit better. The dining table was blocking access to the fridge, which was annoying when someone was sitting there. The TV, which could be viewed from the lounge or bed, was placed to high on the wall to be watched comfortably. There are no DVD players in the room, but one can be requested at reception if you need it. Bedroom is a good size.
Don't even get me started on the bathroom. The layout is shocking. The vanity was blocking part of the shower entry, and that was smaller enough as it is. There is more room around the toilet than anything and towers had plenty of room. But still everything was in there, just not in the right places. On the plus side, the location to the city is excellent
NB: For a comfy bed the price was good.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello purpleprincess1311,

Thank-you for taking the time to leave your feedback about your recent stay with us at Metro Apartments on Bank Place in Melbourne.

We are always appreciative of feedback in how we can make your stay more enjoyable. As our apartments differ in layout based on which side or corner of the building they are located we would appreciate if you could please contact us to let us know which of our apartments you were staying in so that we may investigate alternate furniture layouts that may suit the room better.

We are glad that other than the furnishing layout you enjoyed your stay in our apartments and we hope to see you again next time you are in Melbourne.