“Very central”

Ranked #61 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Stavanger, Norway
“Very central”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Loved being right in the middle of the Melbourne shopping district. Great hotel. Clean and tidy. Great staff who again was very helpful. Can recommend this hotel. We stayed for 3 nights with 2 children age 8 and 10 and they were very comfortable there.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
GM-Novotel-Melbourne, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for telling us about your recent experience and for having chosen to stay with us. Most encouraging for my team to know that they left such a wonderful impression on you and the family. You recommendation and compliment are appreciated. Stay safe whilst travelling and keep collecting many more happy memories.
Antony Platford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

I had an enjoyable stay hotel is in an excellent location, the staff were very friendly, my room was nice and clean, my bed and pillow were both very comfortable, i will definately stay there next time i come to melbourne

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
GM-Novotel-Melbourne, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for you review. I was happy to read that we lived up to your expectations and that you will stay with us again. My friendly team will be welcoming you back when you visit Melbourne next time.
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Stayed in June while on business. Great hotel in central location with easy access to all Melbourne has to offer. Staff were very pleasant, professional and efficient. Room was clean and comfortable, and breakfast in the café was very good. FYI just need to get the tiles fixed in the lift!
Will stay again

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Warrens_of_Conder
GM-Novotel-Melbourne, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you for your recent patronage and your complimentary review. I was pleased to read that you will stay with us again because of the friendly service you received. As for the tiles, we have called in contractors to find the best solution for our busy little Hotel so we will not have the same issues again. Hopefully when we see you in the future you can notice the improvement.
Reviewed 20 June 2014

The location of this hotel is EXCELLENT. You are right in the heart of the Melbourne CBD. 3 blocks to the river. Close to all the excellent graffiti displays, food lanes, major shopping, the free tram and lots of restaurants nearby.

The service of the hotel is great. We check in early (10am) but the room is not ready. We left the luggage at the luggage storage room. They called later to inform me that the room is ready and when we got back, they have already moved our luggage into the room. Nice.

The room is small but has everything and was nicely layout. TV, A/C, lights, bathroom, everything works well. The window is facing the internal arcade (shopping mall) but the mall is closed for renovation.

We have the following complaints ...
1. The pool's water does not look clean at all. It is down right cloudy. And the spa is full of bubbles also.
2. WIFI is not free. We ended up using my mobile phone as an AP for our PCs.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank my8286432
GM-Novotel-Melbourne, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Thank you for your patronage and review. I will investigate your feedback about the Hotel pool and Spa as a high priority. This is a surprise and genuine concern as we have consistent and thorough Hotel inspections and cleaning routines of all guest area's. I was delighted to read that all other aspects of your stay will leave a positive impression and thank you for your honest and positive feedback.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Let me start by saying that I'm a big fan of the Accor chain and they didn't let us down.

My husband was staying in town for business and went for a mystery deal on Wotif. At the last minute I decided to join him, as we were booked into a five star hotel the next night and it saved us running around.

We were both very impressed by the size of the room. Really spacious with a lovely big bathroom too. The shower tried its best, it really did, but the water pressure just wasn't there. The amenities were a bit sparse as well. Any person with hair past their ears wants separate conditioner, not that dreadful shampoo/conditioner combo we found in our bathroom.

The bed was delicious, the quarters were clean, the facilities excellent and it was so QUIET, rare for such a central location.

We had dinner in the cafe bar which was fine. The service in the bar was excellent, as it was at reception. Really intelligent Accor staff. A cut above the rest for sure.

My only real complaint was the sheer number of people knocking at the door. A whopping FOUR during our one night stay. I don't know about you, but I like to be LEFT ALONE when I'm in a hotel. Twice on the first day someone came to the door asking for our room service tray and once the next day after breakfast. What's the matter, chaps? Are you running low on trays? Can you not wait until I've finished eating, or better still, until I've actually placed it outside for you?

Worse than that, I got up early to watch the World Cup and went back to bed at 11 am for a small rest before my meetings (checkout was 12:30). AGAIN someone knocked and actually walked in, waking me and making me really nervous about having a shower. Can I say it again? I like to be LEFT ALONE when I'm in a hotel. With no signs available on the door, I had no way of saying it. Horrible invasion. What's the matter with you guys? Don't knock at the door, wait for the trays, leave the guests alone, please!

If it wasn't for the incredibly pleasant and clever Irish valet, I would have been more disappointed, but he saved the day and I'll definitely be back because of him. When I sent for my car, I was told that it had been blocked in by some other cars and the person who had the keys to those was on lunch. The valet, seeing my distress and knowing that I was off to a nearby hotel, took matters into his own hands, called me a taxi, gave the driver the fare and then drove my car to the next hotel when it was finally ready. What a guy!

Overall, really pleasant, highly recommended if they'd just stay away from my door!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent patronage and providing a positive detailed review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay, our facilities and that our staff were a cut above the rest, in spite of the issues you encountered. Firstly I would like to thank you for being accommodating and allowing my “ clever Irish valet” to find a solution to the mishap of your car being blocked in our car park.

Your comment about our overzealous but helpful staff I have addressed this with the team to make them aware that every small action has consequences and can impact on a guest experience. Guest feedback helps us to become better and I will pass your comments about the Novotel branded amenities to our procurement team.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back for another memorable stay, for all the right reasons. Please contact myself if I can be of any further assistance. Enjoy watching the rest of the World Cup.