“Ho Ho hum”

Ranked #76 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney
“Ho Ho hum”
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Was booked into Rydges because that's where the conference i was attending was held. Based on other reviews, my expectations weren't high. I'd advise others to moderate their expectations even more! There was only room for one taxi out the front, so mine had to park in the centre of the road - glad I had only minimal luggage. The foyer floor was in need of a serious vacuuming.

The room is - well, pretty ordinary. The curtains do an okay job of blocking out the light. The sheets, however, are one toenail from being torn into pieces. There's no room to put anything on a surface in the bathroom. The aircon is loud - lucky I have my trusty ear plugs; and lucky I'm not a watch-TV-in bed kinda person because this TV is a good 2 metres to the right of where you'd lay to watch it!

The saving graces of this hotel are
1) the team who are all hardworking, attentive, and warm and,
2) the food (can't believe I'm saying this about a chain hotel!). The food isn't stellar but it's edible (tick), and hot even when delivered to the room (tick), breakfast food is fresh, varied, and delicious (tick!).
Maybe it's a Melbourne thing?

If you want to go up a notch or four from the hotel food, however, Longrain is just around the corner (gorgeous) and there are loads of other fabulous eating joints and little bars within cooee.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 December 2013

When I first opened the door to my room I got a stale smell hit me coming from the bathroom. I didn't enjoy using the shower or spending any time in the bathroom. Everything else was ok except for the breakfast which was below average for a 20$ breakfast.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Shaoxing, China
Reviewed 21 December 2013

My first impressions of the hotel were average to say the lest, from the time you get out of the cab drag your bags accost the carpet with no help.
Arrival into the room to be meet by a real fire exaction, this was the most disgraceful display I have ever seen in my years of travel.
There staff to assist or direct to where to go or to where to muster we mustered on a side street waiting for hotel staff to account and direct us to safety gave up waiting found the front of the hotel fireman waiting out front still no staff giving direction.
All I can say hope this dose not happen for real.
The laundry service is about 36 hours return, I did contact front desk did care about the issue, as like when I asked her to add my loyalty on check in

Room Tip: rate your safety if not concerned by this choose any room, but read other blogs first
Ararat, Australia
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Right at the top of ChinaTown and 1 block back from free Tourist tram. On arrival you will find parking a little strange as they double up so you need to leave your keys with the assistant. Then in our case being on the 4th floor it was a two elevator ride, having to change at the ground floor. The room was nice, but dated bathroom with mouldy silicon around shower. Air conditioner in the bedroom was too noisy to run at night. Great pool area up on roof but had to do the 2 lift shuffle to get there. Staff at front desk were helpful and the bar was nice but service was slow. Even the bar area seemed to be suffering from age with worn seating. If you get a good deal stay but I wouldn't at full price.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Joseph_Ancora, Marketing Coordinator at Rydges Melbourne Hotel, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Thank you for your review Tahla. It is pleasing to hear that you enjoyed the prime location of Rydges Melbourne and the great eateries that surround us. It was disappointing to hear that the room was not presented as we would have hoped and I will pass on your feedback to both the housekeeping and and hotel manager. We are currently in the process of upgrading some of our rooms so we do hope to welcome you back in the near future to enjoy this.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I recently had a great stay at Rydges Melbourne, we especially enjoyed the rooftop pool. The staff were very helpful in contributing to a pleasant stay. I would recommend rebooking at this hotel for my next visit to Melbourne.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your very positive review Carolyn. It was great to hear that you were able to make use of the rooftop swimming pool (what a view!) and enjoyed the friendly service by our hard working staff. We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in town.

Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I recently stayed one night at Rydges in Preston as it is close to Austin Hospital and I was visiting my brother.

I realised after Ieft the hotel and Melbourne that I had left two boxes of chocolates in the hotel mini bar.

The chocolates were very special not able to be purchased in Australia and I had bought them for my brother.

I contacted the hotel / housekeeping and the chocolates could not be located and they said they would call back.

A week later I had given up all hope and the housekeeping staff called me to say the boxes had been located in the fridge door.

I was very taken aback that they had gone to this trouble to followup. Not only that, the supervisor personally delivered the chocolates to my brother in hospital.

I think this is outstanding service, honesty, and generosity.

I would like to wish Rydges housekeeping staff and supervisor a wonderful Christmas and New Year 2014.

Jillian Clarke

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I enjoyed my stay here last week, and found the hotel to be convenient to public transport.
Bourke street and Collins street are an easy walk for trams that will take you to any Melbourne attraction easily. Chinatown is really close for a variety of great meals.
The hotel breakfast buffet is great- such a great variety of food and nicely laid out with plenty of papers to read on the weekend. My room service burger was delicious on Monday night.
The theatre precinct is close by, but as I was travelling alone I did not want to walk the streets at night.
My room was large, although the bathroom was small & shower recess ridiculously small. There is no where in the shower to put toiletries, & I had to resort to using the toilet seat. There was no bench space available in the bathroom for basic toiletries or applying makeup either, and the light in the queen room was poor.

Despite those things I'd be happy to stay here again as overall this hotel provided what a needed, including location, comfort & security.

2 Thank Peta T
Thank you for your detailed review Peta. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotels fantastic location and the great eateries and entertainment venues that we are surrounded by. It was also great to hear that you were happy with the breakfast options (it certainly is very impressive!). I will pass on your feedback regarding the Queen room, we appreciate hearing this as it helps us to continually improve our offerings. We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Melbourne.