“Jesse at Reception Saves The Day” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rydges Melbourne Hotel

Rydges Melbourne Hotel
Ranked #79 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Moama
“Jesse at Reception Saves The Day”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

I think if it were not for your Front of House Crew, Reception & the Lady in charge of the restaurant during my stay and If I were doing a hotelier report for your on going four star rating, I sincerely believe I would find it hard to give you a three star rating.(I think we were in a twin room 1166) Upon entry of our room on this cold but sunny Melbourne winters day the very first thing I noticed was the entrance light was not working, mmm I can live with that, I couldn't help but notice the room was cold, I went to turn the heating on (oh bugger!) I noted the slide switch was broken this controls either hot or cold and in between mmm once again, I had a waiters friend in my bag and I could use the blade to turn the slide switch up or down (bloody genius I thought Greg) So my next thought was that I will have a nice hot shower. MOULD bloody MOULD in the shower as you will be aware when you step into your showers you need to open up the shower door all the way from the Right Hand Side once doing that so I could open the shower taps the MOULD was growing bottom Right Hand Side in a upwards direction. As the GM of a ****4 star hotel you must be aware of how dangerous Mould spores can be. Anyway by now I was rather annoyed and ready to launch into a barrel of expletives, however I did not, better to be cool.
By now I really felt hungry it rhymes with angry. But I was hungry so I made my way down to your Restaurant/Bar I ordered a eye fillet steak to be cooked medium/rare with all the accompanying sides and guess what the sides were fantastic but the steak was stringy, grizzly, not to mention the tendons So I mentioned this to the Restaurant Manager at the time as I had left more than half the steak on my plate along with all the bits that were inedible she graciously sat down with me and offered me a glass of red wine,she listened to my complaint re my meal and we agreed to pay half the value of the meal... Please note I gain no satisfaction for appearing to complain rather harshly but I feel that Rydges as a group should be happy to receive my correspondence.
Regards,

Greg S Curtis.
Priority Guest Rewards
R1762400.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Location
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

The staff were very friendly. The formal areas were well presented. The food was lovely. There were a few minor discomforts but otherwise a nice place to stay. It would be nice to see how it is after the pool renovations are finished

Room Tip: The top floor is lovely
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

We arrived at 8pm on Friday night, quick easy check in. The room was clean, standard hotel room size, the bathroom was on the small side though, which was fairly dated with one of those half baths. The bed was comfy fairly soft which I think would have been too soft for any longer length of stay. The room had really good curtains which allowed no light in which is always a plus.

We didn't eat at the hotel at all, there's so many restaurants and cafe's we didn't really feel the need to, its in a great location to everything, theatres, shops, parks, restaurants and a 5 minute taxi to the casino. We got a taxi from Southern Cross station on Friday night which was $17, we decided to walk from the hotel to Southern Cross on Sunday afternoon, which only took 20/25 minutes.

Warrnambool, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

I have previously stayed at Rydges Melbourne and have never had a problem. This time I was concerned after reading TripAdvisor comments, I felt worried as I was traveling with my 11 year old, thankfully I had nothing to worry about, staff were pleasant, our room and bathroom were clean, my only comment was the bathroom could do with an update. My daughter and I both enjoyed our stay, she particularly enjoyed the free wifi.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Booked via the hotel's own website during which a pop up window advised we would get a free upgrade if we booked in the next 5 minutes. Well we booked of course and also signed up to the loyalty program which offered 10% off.

The room was tiny (of course no upgrade, subject to availability) and looked like your standard hotel room. What was horrible was the windows didn't open not even a little so the room being so small got stuffy really quickly- we ended up running the aircon in the evenings and this was during the height of winter!!

One saving grace was the bed and it was extremely comfortable though I have a sneaking suspicion that it was not queen sized as advertised but a large double.

The bathroom was clean-ish- there were a few hairs on the floor that must have floated down from being cleaned. However on the second night the room was not cleaned at all. Towels were replaced, bed re-tucked and water restocked. The maid didn't empty the bins nor did she clean the glasses or take the wine cooler out. I thought this very strange!

The dinner in the restaurant downstairs was delicious and the staff were all very amicable and helpful. Try the chorizo and feta salad. The receptionists were friendly enough.

The parking is ridiculously expensive at $29 a night! As guests one would expect this free, well I suppose that makes up for the '10% off'!

The barista whom I received a free coffee from in the lobby on the day of checkout (part of the loyalty program) seemed very cold and unfriendly, he certainly didn't have anything to say at all which was also very weird being in a service job you would think one might know how to speak to customers!

Overall it was disappointing to stay in such a stuffy small and ugly room, in a hotel that should have much better decor.I felt cheated by the fake 'upgrade' promise on their website and definitely will not stay there again. The restaurant staff and facilities were great and are the reason I am not giving this hotel a mark of 2.

Room Tip: Do not go for a deluxe queen room these are obviously the shabby cheap ones. Also do not fall for th...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed at Rydges a couple of times some years ago and vowed never to go back! The rooms were just ok, and the standard of food was very poor. But, luckily for us we gave them another try last weekend and were more than pleasantly surprised! The room was top class as was the service and the food was excellent. Dinner was one of the finest we have had in the city and breakfast was fresh and delightful.....Well done guys, keep up the good work...we will be back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed only 1 night. I called up if we could check in earlier than 2pm and a rude woman said if theres availability if not they cant and hang up.we check in not a warm friendly greeting whatsoever and they didnt say we have to deposit 100$ from credit card and it felt like u have no choice but to do it.the room was OK noisy aircon that sound like a jet engine at night. Their bar was OK disappointed bcos they dont allow u to bring ur own bottle u gotta buy their stuff. Then when we check out we waited long for them to just check the mini bar. Went down to b1 to get our car keys back but no one there. We have to go to b2 and look for the parking guy who holds our car key.then the receptionist upstairs didnt even tell us that they need to validate the car park ticket so we can get out so we have to go up again. Disappointed will not recommend it to anyone I know who will visit melbourne.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple