“Great art deco style, comy room, but breakfast sucks.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Vibe Savoy Hotel Melbourne

Vibe Savoy Hotel Melbourne
Ranked #54 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Singapore
“Great art deco style, comy room, but breakfast sucks.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2008

I stayed with my good friend here for five days in late Feb, while attending a conference in the city. First impression was over the internet, and I chose this hands down over Batman's Hill and Explorer's Inn because of the stylish art deco of the rooms.

Upon arrival, the room certainly had good decor! I'm quite particular about staying in modern (read: no flowery bedsheets, bathtubs from the 1900's:P) rooms so I was impressed by the red pillow, thick and luxurious zebra striped bedsheets, and clean decor. Makes you feel very at ease. Toilet has not enough shampoo! But the room is large, clean, bed is comfy, and bathroom clean and marble tiled- a bonus!

One BIG bummer is the breakfast. It was not included with the room rate of $135 Aussie. We bought a light breakfast including only cold food for $18 Aussie. You only get bread, muffins, cereal, and fruits- barely enough. The so called $25 plus big breakfast with hot food included just tiny sausages, hashbrowns, and hams. Sausages were tasteless, fried rice also tasteless and everything else like supermarket food. For the price I expected a full continental breakfast. I recommend you skip breakfast, save the bucks for a delicious Melbourne breakfast at the cafes on Collins Street!!

Front desk service was polite and friendly. When I asked for my friend to be given a second room card and added to my room, the staff quickly arranged it. And my friend was able to get her room card without a hitch when she arrived :) Room cleaning seems thorough. You can arrange for later cleaning up to 4pm.

Hotel is close to the Southern Cross station and a tram is just across the road! Very handy for getting to the St Kilda Beach and tourist areas. Good for all travelers.

Overall, I'd probably stay here again for the same room rates. Rooms and staff gave me a great stay!

• Liked — Cosy decor, comfy beds, friendly staff, spacious rooms
  • Disliked — Poor breakfast
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank BbHugger

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2008

Not a "bad" hotel, to be sure, but expected far more from a 4 star hotel at $190 per night. Water pressure was odd, the shower cieling was too low causing condensation to drop while you are showering, the TV is from the 1970s, the clock radio and aircon controls are hidden out of sight, so I had to use my cellphone to wake up and was cold most of the night (I only found the controls in the morning). The pillows were flat and lumpy. The decor is nice (although I prefer modern style more). Also, they frstly gave me an interior room with no window going outside. Zero natural light. These are the sorts of things I expect to be told when I book.

Overall, you can get much better hotels for a lot less money.

And the location is not as great as you think. It is across the road from the main train station -- the train station that goes intercity. The main local station, along with the CBD and shops, is 2km away.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2008

Great hotel with a great location across from the main train station. Good rooms and facilities, plus helpful staff. Would go there again

Stayed November 2007
1 Thank HollyDayAway
Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2008

We stayed for 5 nights in January. The hotel is in an excellent location if you are travelling by train or plane. Its directly opposite Southern Cross Station where the airport express buses terminate. Its on the edge of the CBD and so in easy walking distance of everywhere you want to go as a tourist.
We arrived at about 11pm after a long flight and had a warm welcome, although the bar wasn't open (we had been expecting UK style - bar closes when the last resident leaves!), but fortunately there was a well-stocked mini-bar which did the trick!
The room was modern, spacious and well designed and the bed very comfortable.
A small gym was adequate for us to keep a little bit fit.
We didn't eat in the hotel, so can't comment on the food. There are some good cafes across the road serving an excellent breakfast.

• Liked — Location and decor
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DJK42
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2007

The Vibe Savoy hotel is a nice hotel in a great location. Allthough it is opposite the Southern Cross Train Station it is very quiet. It would take approximately ten minutes to walk into the heart of Melbourne and there is also a DFO shopping centre across the road from the hotel.
The rooms at the Vibe are small and furnished nicely and are very clean.
The hotels restaurant, bar and room service are all very reasonably priced and have a good selection of food etc.
The staff at the Vibe are friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2007
1 Thank TLS72
Kerikeri, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2007

The Savoy Vibe is situated directly across from Southern Cross Station. Next to the station is a mall with lots of clothing shops
( factory outlets i think) and a food court. The entrance to the hotel is on Little Collins Street. Location wise, it is about four blocks to the main CBD but not too far to walk.

The hotel itself is art deco in style with 12 floors The reception area is welcoming with ample seating and a bar, although it was closed when i was there.

On arrival, I was greeted warmly by James at reception and given a choice of rooms. He was very friendly and professional and made me feel welcome.

The room itself on the 9th floor was perfectly fine. Nice big comfortable bed and a clean bathroom with shower. Good water pressure too! Although it was near a main thoroughfare, it seemed very quiet in the room, which is always a great bonus for me!

Unfortunately for me, I was woken up at 3am by my neighbour through the wall who was snoring like a pneumatic drill. I tried putting in earplugs, but to no avail. I could not sleep through the noise.

I called reception who informed me that they could not move me as the hotel was full, but after a few minutes "discussion" I was offered a choice of two other rooms!

I moved to another floor ( and you would not believe how loud i could hear the snoring from the hallway) and the second room was as clean and fresh as the first, although this one had an interconnecting door. I quickly went back to sleep as it was now 4am but was woken up by someone calling the wrong room at 6.45 am!! I was obviously not meant to sleep that night:)

All in all, it was not the hotel's fault that someone snored so loud, although it would have been better if i had been offered another room without having to "discuss" it first.

I think that it is a good hotel , esp if you get a good rate. I paid $135 Australia for the night directly with the hotel.

While I was waiting for my driver, i witnessed several people check in and out. Reception staff were very pleasant and helpful and guests were put at ease very quickly. However, there was one male receptionist ( not the one who checked me in ) who was a bit surly with an older couple who wanted to change from an interconnecting room as they were disturbed by tv noise. He was not too friendly with them and even told them that although there was an interconnecting door, it was locked! Im sure they knew that and the issue was noise, not safety!

I also noticed that they charge 19 dollars a night for parking unless it is included in the price.

If i had been able to get a good nights sleep, i woud be full of praises. However, next time I would probably stay a little bit more central than at southern cross.

I also enjoyed Melbourne very much!

• Liked — art deco style, comfortable beds
  • Disliked — snoring through wall
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
14 Thank hemikiwi
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2007

This was our first stop-over in Australia and we weren't dissapointed. The Vibe hotel is in an excellent location in which to explore the wonderful city of Melbourne. We walked evreywhere into the city from the hotel which is also a few minutes walk from the excellent South Bank bars and restaurants. The hotel staff were great and made us feel very welcome upon our arrival. It was 'Melbourne Cup' week when we arrived and the staff couldn't be more helpful, recommending sights and offering to arrange tickets and transport to the event.
This wasn't our first choice of hotel in Melbourne as that had been over booked and we had been placed in the 'Vibe' instead.....however we were very glad as we had an enjoyable stay here and would reccomend this hotel as an excellent base in which to discover Melbourne.

• Liked — Great location for exploring Melbourne
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple