“Review from a discerning traveller”

Vibe Savoy Hotel Melbourne
Ranked #56 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Review from a discerning traveller”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013

I am not one of those who write reviews too often. I must admit that I am a hard customer to please. But Vibe Savoy opposite Southern Cross Station in Melbourne has provided me with one of those rather rare experiences where I was really very pleased.

I stayed there during early April'13 for three nights. We had arrived 4 hours ahead of our check in time but the hotel staff were able to find us a room to check straight into. The housekeeper was very friendly and quick to help when we had to ask for a mop to clean up some water spill.

When we were having trouble with the desk lamp, the front desk was quick to send us a serviceman. In general, we found the front staff friendly, polite and efficient.

In order to score a good review, amenities such as 24h reception, clean linen, nice bathroom, comfy bed, quiet rooms, fast lifts, good cafe etc are essential. Vibe Savoy was at par with any other reputed hotelier in Melbourne in those regards. Moreover, we found plenty of extra pillows and an extra blanket in the closet.

When we asked room service to deliver some cutlery to the room, they were prompt. Even the wake up call on the morning of our departure when the daylight saving had changed was on time.

It is surprising as to how easy it is to please a fussy customer. On other hand, I am also surprised as to how often other hotels fail to deliver services that are expected as a standard across the board.

In general, I was very satisfied with the location, quality and service of Vibe Savoy Melbourne. I would recommend this hotel to friends, family and those that are reading this review, which, quite frankly, is out of character for me.

Amit Sydney

Room Tip: Higher floors are more light filled.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Travelami7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Mooloolaba, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

This hotel has al the comforts of home The rooms are spacious and very clean as is all the hotel and restaurants . It also has a breakfast buffet on the second floor and very cosy bar and restaurant in the lobby .. and the location is so central to all transport . Well worth the stay. and friendly staff..

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

I went to Melbourne for a show, chose this as its over the road from the station and only a 10-15 minute walk from the Arts Centre.

There is a nice bar if you want a late drink.

I had breakfast in their restaurant, buffet style - excelent. I have never had dinner there but I would like to give it a try.

Pleasant staff, rooms are fine.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

The room was quite small and the showers was very poky, particularly given that I'm 6'4" and bigger than the average bloke. Location was reasonably central but there are better. Service from the staff was good and pleasant - always with a smile. Probably wouldn't stay at Savoy again given the better options available. Not a bad back-up option though.

• Stayed March 2013
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2013 via mobile

A no thrills hotel most suitable for business travelers. Rooms are clean, value reasonable. It's VERY convenient, located next to Southern Cross Stn and also Airport Bus Stn!!!

The only thing is that Internet charges are expensive A$22 per day. But it may be just that these thing are expensive generally...I come from Asia where these services would be significantly cheaper or even free.

• Stayed March 2013
Canberra, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2013

For the price and "star rating" I was expecting a comfortable stay at the Vibe, however I had one of the worst hotel experiences I have ever had. The beds were incredibly uncomfortable, hollow and instead of a king size bed we had two singles zipped together. I barely slept and had a sore back and neck the next day. We asked for a quiet room as we are light sleepers however we were placed right next to the lifts and I could hear the lift going up and down all night. When I asked to change rooms the man working in reception gave me attitude. The shower was terrible too, weak water pressure and took a long time to react so the water was either freezing or boiling hot. The TV was tiny and you could barely hear any sound.
The location is great, that is probably the only positive.
If you are okay sleeping in an uncomfortable bed and not sensitive to noise this hotel would be fine, but for the price and star rating I expected a far better experience.
Would not recommend and would not stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
vhsm, Manager at Vibe Savoy Hotel Melbourne, responded to this review, 2 May 2013
Thank you for providing feedback about your stay at the Vibe Savoy Hotel. The hotel had changed its beds recently as part of the normal cycle and gone thru a recent soft refurbishment in the rooms. My apology for the experience you had and feel free to contact me at the hotel if you would like to discuss your stay with me further
Kind Regards
Brett Walker
Glens Falls, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Vibe Savoy. It was very conveniently located by train and tram and within walking distance of some very nice shops and restaurants. The room was clean, sexy and very spacious. The only thing that we didn't like was that the a/c would be turned off during the day while we were out and we would come back to a very hot room. Note: we also happened to visit during a heat wave. The staff was friendly and check-in was convenient.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple