Vibe Savoy Hotel Melbourne
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Novotel Melbourne on Collins(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$148
US$136
US$101
US$95
  • Pool
Crowne Plaza Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$159
US$138
CrownePlaza.com
  • Restaurant
Travelodge Hotel Melbourne Docklands(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$106
US$77
  • Free Internet
Citadines on Bourke Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$213
US$117
US$96
US$85
  • Restaurant
Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$84
US$76
Hotel Claremont(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$53
US$49
  • Breakfast included
Art Series - The Larwill Studio(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$156
US$124
  • Fitness centre
US$319
US$256
3,995 results
All reviewssouthern cross stationgreat locationskybus terminalsky busetihad stadiumspencer streetpublic transportfree tramseasy accessbuffet breakfastroom servicevalet parkingwould stay againpleasant staycrown casinocentral locationbed was comfortable
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 August 2008

We liked the location of this hotel as it was just across the street to the Southern Cross station to take the Skybus transfer to the airport, convenient to shops, transport and all this with a great price!.
ARRIVAL/DEPARTURE
The hotel was easy to locate just a short walk from arriving at Southern Cross station across the street. The Skybus arrives and departs from the airport to this station regularly we found the timetable on their website. It was very easy to buy the tickets before boarding, able to use the credit cards, put our luggage in the luggage storage areas on the bus and take the ride to Melbourne city. The station arrives on Spencer Street where the hotel entrance is just off from. We did the same to depart; it was cheaper to buy a return ticket rather than two one way journeys.
RECEPTION
When we arrived at the reception desk it took quite a few moments to be acknowledged and attended to. There was not a queue of other guests to check but two staff talking to each other. Finally we got to check in and were given our room and a very brief overview of the hotel. We returned to check in shortly after arriving into our allocated room as the room next to us was having an in room party, very noisy & requested to move rooms. Thankfully the hotel was not full and we were able to move to the other side of the same floor, new room no noise and much quieter. Later in the evening when we past the other room we first were allocated we could still hear the noise so were happy we moved straight away. Departure & checkout were fine with the hotel we used the left luggage facility and all was okay. One of the reasons that led us to book this hotel was the great price, good location & the opportunity to earn Qantas Frequent Flyer points booking through the Ready Rooms booking website. As we have done with other bookings in the past to earn these points, the membership card must be shown at the check in and check out with the booking papers. We did this even though the staff members who check us in said it was not necessary as the details were in the booking in their system. Details were noted & normally it takes a few weeks for the points to appear in the point’s tally. After letting some weeks pass we made an enquiry to the hotel if the points processing had occurred. After very slow correspondence we finally received a reply email saying no points were eligible for our stay. We sent through the booking details showing that it was an eligible booking rate and have never received another reply after patiently waiting before sending the next email. The hotel has refused to process the points, no reply to emails & wanted to note this for any future guest who wish to take advantage of the good price & location this hotel offers to ensure you get your points as advertised if you want to earn them as we didn’t. Not for the experience with the points would have graded this hotel above average for the experience.
ROOM
Our room was of a good size, TV, minibar, good storage, no view but we were there just the night so not of importance for us. The bathroom was not new, black and white in colour, amenities supplied and a shower over the bath style. The bathroom and room were very clean and we were happy with the room overall.
FACILITIES
We used the business centre internet and printing facilities located across from reception that requires key card access. There were many problems with the internet and the connection would be lost very easy. We returned to reception and the nice staff member came to assist us and reset our time. A part from the business centre we only made use of the left luggage facility on check out and had no problems. The tags were given to us and the bags stored behind reception in a room.
AREA
The hotel has an ideal location to Southern Cross station, trams on Spencer & Bourke Street and by foot to the Crown Casino area. It was very convenient to make the Skybus connections to/from the airport as we only had to cross the street from the hotel to make it to the station. There are also shops in the DFO shopping outlet above the station area, and in the immediate area some bars and coffee shops.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WonderSuper
Reviewed 7 July 2008

Irish travellers. We stayed in the Vibe hotel in March 2008 for 3 nights. My parents, my husband and I. The hotel is exactly as you see in the website photos. The rooms were really clean, lovely bathroom with plenty of hot water. The reception staff were very friendly. The hotel was very very quiet when we visited however it was midweek so this may have had something to do with it. The hotel is located directly across from the train station and a large shopping centre which was fantastic on the cold day we were there. Dont worry there was no noise from the train station, the only down side is you need to take a tram to the good pubs and restaurants down by the river, it is only a 15 min walk if you are feeling fit enough. Overall great experience would go back again !!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Irishgirl_286
Reviewed 16 May 2008

I went to Melbourne on business and booked the Vibe Savoy off wotif - the retail price was over $320 per night but I paid $165. The room was good value for $165 but I think $320 is a bit steep.

The room was medium size and immaculately clean and more important to me - the bed was very comfortable. The TV was a bit on the small side but it was enough for me - there were lots of channels (for a fee) but I was there to work so the wired internet was of far more use.

There was a full size bath and complimentary bath robe and slippers - normal for 4 star I'm told but from my experience not always - anyway it was a nice touch.

I stayed twice - the first room had views of a wall and the second one had great views but all I saw was fog! Not the hotel's fault of-course but I thought it was mildly amusing. I left for work early and came back late but I'm sure the view was lovely...

I had the light continental breakfast for $18 which is standard in Melbourne hotels and the dining room was very pleasant and stylish.

Location was terrific for business travellers - across the road from Southern Cross station. You can get the air conditioned skybus from the airport and walk across the road to the hotel - very convenient.

All in all, a good place to stay - I'd stay again but I would book through wotif to get the discounted rate.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank pancina
Reviewed 10 May 2008

Stayed here for a week in February with a girl friend to explore Melbourne for the first time. We're both uni students on a budget so initially we booked our stay at Kingsgate Hotel, which is dirt cheap from all the online booking sites. However, after reading negative reviews about Kingsgate on Tripadvisor, we quickly cancelled our booking and were relieved when we were able to get very good rates for Vibe Savoy instead.

Its location is probably the best thing it has to offer. It was great to be across the road from DFO Spencer and the airport shuttlebus station. It was convenient to drop off our shopping bags in our room before heading out again. Trams are close by which made it easy to get to the CBD everyday.

The room we stayed in was dark, the window faced the atrium and the blinds were black - consequently we overslept on several occasions as it created the illusion that it was still something like 5am. The bedside alarm is very faint so if you're a heavy sleeper and have something important to attend in the morning, don't rely on the alarm! The bathroom is very small and quite aged but clean. The single beds are small but reasonably comfy. There was a big black moth perched on our head board for the whole duration of our stay and did not budge, which was a bit gross and creepy. The air-con takes a while to take effect so you might turn it up just before you go to bed thinking it's a little warm, but then wake up shivering in the middle of the night.

The gym was small, with only one of each type of equipment but it was always empty so we had it all to ourselves. Water and fresh towels were provided inside.

The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. We enquired about a day trip to the Great Ocean Road to see the Twelve Apostles and the lady (I think her name was Renee) was more than happy to provide us with brochures and book the trip for us. She was also helpful in giving us directions and travel tips.

The breakfast is nothing to get excited about, especially if you have to eat the same thing for a whole week. But it was included in the price so we made the most of it. Towards the end of the week we'd figured out what our favourites were: the mini crossiants and the greek yoghurt. The front desk is mostly unattended, but don't think for a moment that the fact that you just got out of bed and are probably really hungry is going to make the restaurant staff attend to you faster. If you get impatient and decide to seat yourselves (like we did on the first day) you'll get told off by the staff later on. The tip is to get there early (before 9am) before the food runs out and all the staff disappear.

Vibe Savoy is definitely not luxurious but considering the price we paid, we had nothing to complain about. It's a convenient place to stay in Melbourne if you're on a budget but would also like to keep your dignity and not resort to places with shared bathroom facilities. The only reason I wouldn't come back is if I'm able to afford an expensive hotel by the time I visit Melbourne again.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank katie_cakes88
Reviewed 1 May 2008

I stayed here for business.

Good Points:
* The foyer is lovely, and the bar downstairs looks like a great place to have a drink.
* Across the road from the Spencer St factory outlets.
* Room Service was good.

Bad Points:
* My room was quite old (stained carpets, old furnishings).
* Small, old TV.
* One of the phones in the room was broken.
* Gym only has one treadmill.

Overall, I thought this was a good budget stay at only $A138 a night. I wouldn't be prepared to spend over $A160 here.

It really needs a good renovation done on the rooms.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business