“Normally great, but a party in next room soured the stay”

Sofitel Melbourne on Collins
Ranked #16 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 7 December 2013

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Jeremy H, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

There are newer reviews for Sofitel Melbourne on Collins

Reviewed 7 December 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Jeremy H, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2013

Reviewed 6 December 2013

Had a one night stay and found this hotel truly lived up to expectations. The room I had was one of the higher level floor rooms with a good view out to the casino and river front. The big windows and comfortable chairs made it perfect for sitting back and enjoying the view from the room as the sun set.

The room had many 5 star features including room lighting which could be set to a range of options from watching a movie mode, to mood lighting setting, to full lights all on at the push of a button. A welcome plate of fruit and waters was a nice touch.

The room was spacious and the bed and bedding were luxurious. The bathroom was high quality with lovely towels and dressing gowns. Excellent water pressure and toiletries supplied.

Sometimes these type of hotels can feel a little 'stuffy' with staff almost too attentive, but here the staff were genuinely friendly and helpful without over doing it. I had a cocktail in the bar and the Mexican waiter was extremely professional and engaging with conversation to make us guests feel at home.

I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor, I was pleased to read you had an enjoyable stay with us and the hotel met your expectations. I will be sure to pass on your feedback to all Ambassadors. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

I travel regularly for business and always stay at a Sofitel when available as they are my prefered hotel within the Accor stable, the reason for this are two fold,

Firstly I can be assured of a consistent level of amenities, comfort and finish to the property no matter where I am and the Sofitel Melbourne ticked that box quite comfortably, it is a beautifully presented building and the rooms well appointed and maintained.

The second reason I preference Sofitel is the level of service their staff are renowned for the world over. To give you an example of this service last month when I was at the Sofitel Wentworth in Sydney (I usually stay once a month) I arrived late in the evening (10.30pm) and just wanted a meal and to finish off some work for my meeting the next morning so I rang room service and rather than just taking an order I was walked through the menu, offered suggestions and after choosing an entrée and a main was asked if I'd like desert to which I umm'd and ahhh'd over and then declined, but said I had a truck load of work to finish before tomorrow so I would probably call back with a hankering for ice cream to which we both laughed. 20 minutes later my food arrived and my table set after thanking the staff member I was trying to decide where to start when to my delight under one of the covers was a bowl of ice cream with a card which read "Meseur, try not to work too hard :) " And with that simple gesture my love of Sofitels was cemented. HOWEVER the Sofitel Melbourne lets the brand down as it's staff don't have that level of commitment to their profession or their brand. Not once in the evening did the Hotel Manager stand in the lobby greeting guests returning from their days work (Every evening at the Sofitel Wentworth you are greeted with a warm Bonsoir by the hotel manager), The reception staff proffered no personality or attempted to engage in friendly small talk which again the Sofitel Wentworth staff are amazing at engaging in this way without it ever seeming contrived or trite. And then when I ordered room service at 11pm I pressed the in room dining button on the phone and when my call was answered the staff member hadn't completed her conversation with another person so I caught the tail end of that while she had picked up the phone and then said "reception, ah sorry Bonsoir Reception" I replied asking for room service to which she said "transferring you" and abruptly did so. I then spoke to a man who had 0 personality sounded like he was in a factory it was so loud who had a phone manner akin to a KFC drive through. For a rather ordinary experience I paid $66 for the privilege of one rather subpar piece of steak cooked completely differently to how I requested it be cooked.

I think you should send your Melbourne staff on secondment to the Wentworth!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. I sincerely apologise that we did not compare to your experiences in Sydney. We have discussed your comments with the team and appreciate your feedback. We certainly hope to exceed your expectations upon your next visit to Sofitel Melbourne On Collins.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

We had a lovely stay here. Hotel staff on counter were in-personable but we had a lovely staff member help us with our bags and call us a cab. Room was warm, clean and comfortable with old fashioned luxury. We had a lovely view of the MCG side of the city from our room. Great location, within walking distance of many nice restaurants, shops and bars.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor, I was concerned to read your comments regarding the serviced received by the Reception Ambassadors. Please be assured that your feedback has been forward to our Front Office Manager to review with the team and I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused. We look forward to the to the opportunity to welcoming you during your next stay with us.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

We stayed 4 nights. 46th floor. Have stayed in a number of Sofitels but this was the worst room out of all (Paint peeling in Bathroom, dated decor). Bed was as usual very comfortable though, and views are unbeatable. Restaurant breakfasts are very good, as you'd expect. But the meal at #35 was average at best, and when we complained that what we ordered wasn't what we were given, the waiter didn't believe us. So I'd eat elsewhere for dinner.
Staff were generally Excellent, especially the Concierge, he was top class - I've never met anyone better.
So overall, nice place to go, but it was the magnifique stay you expect from Sofitels.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. I am grateful for your assessment and for your detailed comments which detracted from your overall stay with us, in particular with regards to the room decor and your dining experience in No 35 restaurant, and I profusely apologise for the inconvenience caused. I would very much appreciate you providing more further details of your stay if you could kindly email me via h1902-am01@sofitel.com. I look forward to hearing from you at your convenience.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

The hotel has some good points. The rooms are spacious, nice and comfortable, with a view. The breakfast is excellent. Staff is nice and helpful. Great location. However, there were a few things that made me hesitate to rate it very good. My internet access was terrible, which for a business stay is clearly problematic. The only place I could get patchy, limited connection was in the bathroom! And the bathroom needs some renovation. An upgrade of the in-room tea and coffee quality would be nice too.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. I was pleased to read our Hotel Ambassadors were helpful during your stay with us. We are in the process of seeking a solution to intermittent signal strength, however am happy to install a wireless router in your room when you come back to visit us. The Duty Manager will do this in future. If you could please me directly on h1902-am01@sofitel.com with your full contact details and I will update your profile to ensure this is arranged during your next stays with us. We are currently working with designers also in order to renovate all guest rooms in 2014 and 2015. We look forward to the opportunity to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.