We felt that we could expect a pretty high standard from a five star hotel in Melbourne but were very underwhelmed by the Sofitel.
When we were looking for accommodation in Melbourne, at short notice, for the weekend of the finals of the Australian Open, we knew it was going to cost us and, at an average of $500 per night, it did! We got upgraded from our standard room to a corner room which gave us two lovely vistas, including a view of hot air balloons floating past our window one morning, but that was probably the highlight.
- The beds are incredibly comfortable,
Lavender spray on the pillow at night. This is exactly what I want at night, not some random chocolate!
- A nespresso machine. While not the world's best coffee (sorry George) we appreciated the effort.
- Lots of power points. Don't you want to charge everything when you arrive at a hotel and then struggle to find power points? These were right behind the desk and you didn't need to get on your hands and knees to find them.
- Queuing up to check in. Sorry to sound precious but one person at check in is not acceptable for a five star hotel early evening.
- Ditto for the concierge. There were always lots of people milling around reception and not enough staff to assist.
- A shower above the bath, with a nasty rubber mat underneath. Need I say more
We will not be staying there again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sofitel Melbourne On Collins is at the Paris end of Collins Street, in the heart of the city's premier shopping, dining and theatre district, just minutes from the famous Melbourne Cricket Ground. This award-winning hotel has 363 luxurious rooms that begin from level 36 offering breathtaking views from floor-to-ceiling windows. Each room is complemented by modern furnishings, mood lighting, LED\LCD or Plasma televisions and iPod|MP3 connection. Marble bathrooms offer automated low level lighting and French amenities.Enjoy modern dining in No35, high tea occasions in Sofi's Lounge or stylish cocktails in the Atrium Bar On 35.For meetings and events, Sofitel Melbourne On Collins is one of the city’s most comprehensive integrated hotel conference venues offering 12 individual meetings venues with comprehensive audio-visual services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, ACCOR, Agoda, TravelUp, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sofitel Melbourne on Collins reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel Melbourne On Collins Hotel Melbourne
- Accor Melbourne On Collins
- Melbourne Sofitel