“Lovely stay”

Ranked #43 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Dunedin
“Lovely stay”
Reviewed 23 June 2012

We stayed here for our wedding anniversary for a couple of nights. Got a great deal through wotif so had a one bedroom apartment. Arrived and had to wait for the conceirge to attend to us outside as he had other people to attend to, felt a little put out as we weren't assisted with our luggage but the people before us were, I think we didn't look posh enough lol! Alterations were going on in the lobby so it was a little mickey mouse checking in but that was ok. We had room service for dinner that night, was pleased with the quick prompt service and the variation of the menu but was a little disappointed in the taste of my steak as it seemed to lack taste. Location wise the hotel was fantastic and the conceirge the following morning was fantastic with great tips and information about Melbourne. We would more than likely stay again as the experience overall was really good!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Dear DunedinKailey

Congratulations on your anniversary! Our lobby is all finished now so it would be wonderful if you could come and stay with us again and see what you think of the improvement. I would love to have read that everything was wonderful about your stay but am still glad overall you had a pleasant experience. For those points you have made where improvements could be made the relevant department heads have been notified and the issues reviewed, so thank you for your constructive feedback it is very helpful.

Like us on Facebook l Follow us on Twitter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
  • Korean first
Noosa, Australia
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I've just returned from a 4 day stay at the Stamford Plaza Melbourne. It was my second interstate stay at the hotel, combined birthday celebrations with a friend again and the hotel's complimentary bottle of bubbles waiting for us in our room was a lovely gesture. We had a high level room in the West tower. Our room was spotlessly clean, modern and spacious with 2 double beds, kitchen, dining room, lounge area, 2 TV's, bathroom with separate vanity area, just perfect for 2 girls travelling together! The current renovations caused no problems at all. The staff were amazing; courteous and helpful at all times. Reception staff were fabulous on check in but in particular on check out, a porter swiftly taking my luggage and weighing it to allay my fear of excess baggage due to my excess shopping!! (was 19.98kg with a 20kg allowance). We used the concierge on several occasions and they were always friendly and informative, nothing was too much trouble for them, they even completed our return flight online check-in's and provided our boarding passes to us. Nic (Arnica?) on concierge was fantastic with my list of questions one morning, providing an insight into the places I queried. We accidently locked ourselves out of our room, but once again a phone call to concierge had staff come quickly and unlock it for us. We love the location of the Hotel. Trams to everywhere are close by, several theatres are a close walking distance, all the shops are a close distance, ditto great restaurants. Can't fault the Stamford Melbourne, would definately stay again and again.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a high floor room to avoid any potential traffic noise
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Dear DesertQueen65

Such a cheerful review! I can feel in your words the great experience you had here at the hotel and of course the good times spent out and about around Melbourne. I think a regular annual get together might be the pattern starting to form here, and of course we would be more than happy to oblige the bottle of bubble to welcome you back each time. If you are checking in on Friday you can also receive a complimentary glass of Moet & Chandon in Harry’s Bar between 5.30 and 7.30pm if you are wear red shoes, so be sure to find a space in your suitcase for those! Thank you for your complimentary remarks concerning our Concierges and in particular Nik. They really have a passion for their job and do us very proud.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Just stayed for 4 nights at the Stamford Plaza, a mixture of business and leisure. Unfortunately for the first two nights I had a room in the East tower above the lobby undergoing renovations. Work started at 6:00am both mornings. Not really an issue for me as I was working but I felt sorry for those who were there on holiday. I asked at reception on the second day whether the work would continue over the week-end when I would become one of those holiday makers and would certainly not appreciate being woken at 6:00am by the builders. I was told that work would continue so I asked to be relocated to the West tower. This was agreed without hesitation (I suspect they are used to dealing with these requests), the room was also upgraded for me at the same time, so good response which was much appreciated by me wife when she arrived for the week-end. The King Suite which was the upgraded room was very spacious but the bathrooms in both rooms were tiny although well equipped. Bathrobes and slippers are a nice touch.

Other comments - breakfast was included in the room rate and was OK but not worth the $20+ which you have to pay if it's not included.

The saving grace for the hotel is it's staff who were unerringly polite and helpful, always greeted us warmly whenever we arrived back at the hotel and did do their best to sort out the noise issue when I complained.

My only real issue is that they shouldn't really be letting rooms in the East tower while the building works are in progress unless they restrict the working hours a bit more.

Room Tip: Ask for the West tower until nuilding works are finished
Dear ZX9man

Thank you for your constructive feedback, I am very please to advise you that our new lobby is now complete and it looks fantastic! I’m very sorry for the inconvenience you experienced due to the work but am happy your concerns were successfully resolved by our ever helpful and accommodating staff. You will be able to experience our new and inviting reception space on your next stay with us! I look forward to welcoming you back then.

Canberra
Reviewed 20 June 2012

This is the second time I've stayed at this hotel whilst on business in Melbourne and both times I have been very happy with the experience. The rooms are modern, spotlessly clean, well appointed and very comfortable. I ordered room service for dinner on this occassion and was very impressed with the selection and quality of the food - it was also delivered promptly and was professionally presented. Probably my favourite thing about this hotel is the excellent buffet breakfast - there is a vast array of hot and cold foods on offer, fabulous coffee and cheery efficient service. On my earlier stay I ate dinner in the resturant and had one of the most delicious steaks I've ever had - it was cooked rare just how I asked for it and it melted in my mouth - the resturant also had a good selection of wines. This is a fabulous hotel, which is well located and with very helpful staff - nothing is too much trouble for them. I will definitely stay here again when next in Melbourne. The foyer was undergoing rennovation when I was there in June but this did not cause any problems for guests - staff were directing guests to the temporary reception area.

Room Tip: The one and two bedroom suites are very comfortable - Make sure you have the buffet breakfast!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
Dear Geoff J

On business trips it is really important for you to be able to relax and unwind with great food and wine and then to also start your day with a quality breakfast, so your experience with room service and in Harry’s restaurant is very reassuring that our food and beverage department is getting it right. Your kind compliments about the staff here at Stamford Plaza Melbourne will be greatly appreciated. They do a wonderful job it is really means a lot when guests notice and praise the efforts they go to. Thank you. I am also pleased to advise you that our new lobby is completed and the first checks will be done in it today. We are all very excited!

We look forward to welcoming you back again on your next trip.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Stayed here a couple of times now. An old place, but done up well. Great location, decent in-room ameneties. The suite-style rooms with the kitchenettes are excellent and perfect for a romantic getaway or as a base for a night out in town. Good showers, but over baths that are ok spas. Good beds and linen with nice towels. Truely horrid old bathrobes though, that have a texture somewhere between cardboard and gravel. Room service food is good although can be a little slow. Had a hard time getting ice delivered to the room on both stays. The breakfast buffet is ok but nothing special. Valet, reception and restaurant staff were always great, but porters and room service staff were unenthausiastic. Very good value package deals available through discount websites and mystery deals. Book direct and you'll probably pay too much.

Room Tip: Look for deals on discount websites
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Trevor t
Dear Trevor t

We always like to welcome returning guests as they are people like yourself who come back to us because we have features that are admired by them. A real plus for many guests is the fact we have kitchenettes in our suites which as you rightly state, are convenient for a number of reasons, also our location is superior due to our prime situation in the heart of the CBD with transport and attractions easily at hand…and of course the Stamford service, which we are very proud of. Your constructive comments are very helpful in seeing where we can make improvements and all feedback is welcomed and reviewed accordingly.

See you again on your next visit!

Sydney
Reviewed 18 June 2012

The hotel was great, I have happy with my spacious suite, the staff were excellent and very helpful in every way. They actually went above and beyond, I was extremely impressed.

But I'm always apprehensive when it comes to eating at hotel restaurants (unless it is well known), this one time I ordered room service from Harry's Restaurant downstairs. I got the hawaiian pizza and was beyond disappointed. It was quite possibly the worst thing I've ever had. For the price of the food, I would have expected a lot more then something you'd expect to eat at a music festival/Royal Easter show, taken straight out of a freezer.

I also had a pavlova for dessert, which was ok, but totally over priced for $18. To be charging the high prices, the food needs to be beyond excellent. I review restaurants all the time and have never been this disappointed in a meal as I was with this pizza.

Other then that, I can't pick out any faults that made my stay unpleasurable. I just hope the new reception is finished quickly as it was a hassle and at times noisy.

Dear AdrianErdediDotCom

You will be as pleased as we are to know that the lobby refurbishment is completed today and looks fantastic! Our reception staff are very excited to once again be down on the ground floor and checking people in and out in the comfort and convenience of this newly refreshed and revitalized space. I am very sorry for your disappointment with the room service food you ordered. Please be assured that your constructive comments are taken very seriously and have been passed onto our Food and Beverage Manager for his review. Overall though I am extremely pleased that you found our hotel and staff to be of an exemplary standard which of course will have greatly contributed to your enjoyable stay with us.

See you again another time!

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 18 June 2012

This is a fantastic hotel that competes with or excedes the service of those $100 higher. It's a non descript entry, but from there you can expect 5 star service. The rooms are wonderful however I find the mutliple rooms a little cramped. The bathrooms are devine, service is perfect.

My choice in Melbourne when I stay, right in the centre of all the action and perfect service.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ShaneWylie
Dear Ourpoeticprince

Our aim is to always be competitive in our pricing, service and quality and your satisfaction in these areas proves that we are succeeding in our aims. I’m really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and we very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon.