“When things go wrong ...”

Stamford Plaza Melbourne
Ranked #39 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney
“When things go wrong ...”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I had a poor experience up until arrival on the day I checked in. I left home at 0430 and was dropped at Sydney Airport only to have the Virgin Australia check-in system fail. We had to shift counters for a manual check-in and I was 4 from the front of the queue when staff advised photo-id was required. It was only then that I realised I had left my wallet at home due to changing the suit I wore. Virgin staff were fine but the flight was delayed over two hours resulting from the manual check-in procedures being used. Meant my arrival in Melbourne was later than expected and with little cash I was in some difficulty. However, I was able to pay for a SkyBus ticket online and the helpful staff printed a ticket for ease of use. I was then able to use the free shuttle to be dropped off at the Stamford Plaza. I was able to drop my bag off, received directions to the nearest branch of my bank, and was able to withdraw sufficient funds for routine expenses.

On arrival back at the hotel to check in, I then encountered difficulties because I had used a third party to book, and photo-id was required. It was difficult to get around this requirement. However, I must admit that the reception staff, Cecila, and the On-duty Manager, Shahid, were lifesavers. While it took a little, and it required me getting sufficient cash from the bank to pay for my stay, a 10 minute delay, I was then able to begin to relax. My suite was very pleasant and well appointed, although I spent little time other than showering and sleeping. I was able to dine-out with friends and family and regale them with the day from hell, but also the assistance of a number of people that restored my faith in humanity.

I was attending a conference at the Convention Centre but was able to purchase a Myki ticket, at reasonable cost, and found both trains and trams easy to use. The nearby Parliament station for the trains, and there was a tram stop in Collins Street that allowed easy access to the Convention Centre without difficulty. It was about a 30 minute walk otherwise and I also found the stroll through the Melbourne CBD quite pleasant - well, moreso than the weather as a major cold front did cause some strong wind damage to vegetation.

So, all up, I found the hotel and staff more than pleasant, and while I had a less than perfect arrival the balance of my experience was positive and my check-out was efficient.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ReadRooster
Lilian R, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Dear TheRedRooster,
What a day! I am delighted that we were able to provide you with assistance and friendly service, as well as a comfortable place to rest your head after such a stressful day. Your feedback as to the “can do” attitude displayed by our staff will certainly be well received by them and I know they will be very proud to have impacted so positively on your time at Stamford and in Melbourne. We’d be delighted to welcome you back again, hopefully for a visit that is free from stress, right from the start.
Like us on Facebook l Follow us on Twitter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

This would be my second stay with Stamford and I am pleased with the service and rooms on both occasions only issue is wifi is $25.00 per day where other places include this in there prices to keep in touch with family, other then that I do recommend a 1 bedroom suite for solo travellers fully equipped kitchen, separate living area, and dining space with two flat screen TV's spacious bathroom and main bedroom, all was cleaned and serviced daily and couldn't find any missed cleaning areas, greeted pleasantly on arrival and also treated well in departure , close to Bourke street mall and other shopping outlets as this is why I chose to stay here as it's easy and convenient located close to everything just about,

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dear Chris M,
It’s always positive to hear that our guest’s experience doesn’t change from one visit to the next. We are delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us, from our facilities to our service.
Thanks for your recommendation; we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
Kind Regards
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 26 June 2014

It's great for downtown Melbourne, but not for the convention center at the South Bank.

Plus:

Very comfortable beds
Have a kitchenette, with electric kettle
Whirlpool tub
Large sitting area
Close to Chinatown, Parliament, the theater district and the Melbourne Museum
Service--helpful, very friendly staff
Nice breakfast--they make waffles and omelettes fresh!

Cons:

Distance from the convention center in the South Bank--requires cab ride (~ 10 Australian dollars)

Expensive: breakfast costs 25 Australian dollars
Card-key operated elevators that require constant fumbling for card-keys
Universal adaptors do not work anymore as Australia has recently changed their plugs

Would definitely stay if in Melbourne for tourism, not necessarily for a convention for the reasons stated above.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Lilian R, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear aggiealum,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Stamford Plaza Melbourne and for highlighting many of the aspects which made your stay so enjoyable. Whilst our location is a short distance from the convention centre, we truly are in the heart of Melbourne. There haven’t been any changes to the plugs in Australia so it is unusual that you had difficulties with your adaptor – please remember our friendly staff are always available to assist you with any queries you may have. We hope you can visit Melbourne again soon and we would love to welcome you again.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I would highly NOT recommend this Hotel for business travel. Apathetic staff and management, You may have an OK stay as long as you do not have any issues. Staff on travel were humiliated on check in. Stay away, plenty of other nice hotels this end of the city that are more than accommodating for business travel as we found when they checked in there moments after the issue here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank G_Munforti
Dear G_Munforti,
It is very disappointing to read of your dissatisfaction with your recent stay and I can only apologise. I would be very grateful for the opportunity to gain further information so I may investigate the matter in depth and ensure the appropriate follow up is made.
Please feel free to contact me on 03 9659 1000 or fabiendewelle@spm.stamford.com.au should you wish to provide more details about your stay, I would be very happy to hear from you.
Fabien Dewelle
Executive Assistant Manager
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

I was expecting an extravagant stay at the Stamford Plaza but ended up disappointed.

The reception staff service was average. I checked in, waited a bit for the room to be ready and that's it. I was expecting something along the lines of suggestions for places to see, dining out, etc but it was quite perfunctory.

Then, during my stay one of the hotel staff had decided to have a snack in my room and left the opened chip packet in the mini bar. Truly bizarre! Not sure what to do, I called down to reception to tell them of this truly gross happenstance and was told just to throw it away and they'd make a note not to charge me. Well, what happens when I check out is they had charged me! Fortunately, they cancelled it, but the fact this whole incident happened is mind boggling.

We'll, if that isn't all, I'd been really looking forward to the spa bath in the room -pretty much the whole reason I chose the hotel. However, when I actually saw the size of the bath I couldn't believe it. I'm only 5'2" and I still thought the bath was too small to lie comfortably in. So, another disappointment.

This was one hotel stay where fantasy met reality and lost.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dear starbrite657,

Stamford is renowned for its great service and it disappoints me greatly that you feel as though you did not receive such service. It’s not the kind of feedback I like or expect to receive and I apologise for the impact this had on your stay. We would be very grateful for the opportunity to welcome you again and indeed show that we are able to provide an experience that is exceptional in every sense. Please contact me directly so I may personally assist with your reservation arrangements and ensure all aspects of your stay are enjoyable.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My Husband and I stayed at Samford Plaza for three nights while having a long weekend away. The location was great and the staff were amazing. We felt welcome from the moment we got out of the cab.

It was an overall good experience and the room was clean and tidy however it just didnt have that 'wow factor' we sometimes experience from 5 star hotels. It had a very business kind of feel which makes sense as it has function rooms etc.

Saying this, there wasn't anything to fault and I would definitely recommend it however I probably wouldnt stay again only because I prefer the more modern styled room.

We arrived at around 10.30am and went in to leave our bags as check in wasnt until 2pm. We were very pleasantly surpised to find out that our room was ready and we could go straight up. The concierge was also very happy to help.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Lilian R, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear hannahdotcom,
Although there were aspects of our hotel that were not completely to your satisfaction, I appreciate your honesty and understand that these relate to your personal preference. I’m pleased to hear that the service you received from our staff was excellent and our location was convenient for your stay in Melbourne. Thank you for reviewing your experience in such a positive light, your recommendation is much appreciated.
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for two nights when visiting Melbourne. The lobby is lovely but once you've past that the hotel is then outdated and complimented by the rude staff. Upon arrival we were meant to receive a bottle of wine which did not come even after requested it to bought to the room after the staff had said they would bring it up. The next day we had to request it THREE times before the wine was eventually delivered.

A couple of days after we had left I realised I left my passport in the hotel room and was surprised that I had not been contacted about it by this stage as I assumed being a 5 star hotel the cleaners would have found it. They did not find it and it makes me worry about the standard of cleaning that goes on in the hotel. My partner and I went back to the hotel and let them know the passport was in there and upon doing so the staff said it was impossible as the cleaner would have found. I then asked if they could knock on the door (there is a new occupant by this stage) and tell them where I said I left the passport and the occupant could then slide it under the door. The staff refused to do this and maintained their cleaners would have found it if it was there. I then asked if they could call the room and ask the occupant to check for it which they also refused to do as it was more important for someone to get a sleep in than to get a flight back to New Zealand and I quote "you have already payed and gone, you are no longer a customer". By this stage I was very upset as I needed my passport to leave the country and about 5 men then came over and all started hassling my partner and telling him to leave because the passport is not there. It was horrible they were rude and very bullying. After all this we were asked to leave the hotel (more made to leave) and we missed our flights as I did not have my passport which then resulted in an extra $800 to re book and find another nights accommodation. A few hours later I then received a call from the hotel saying very politely "Hi Miss_______ we have recovered your passport from the room and you are now able to pick it up". After all this there was no apology from the Stamford and they just completely avoided the fact we missed our flights. My partner and I have used the Stamford chain for work and pleasure in New Zealand but now I will not step foot in their hotels as I do not want my money going to such rude confrontational staff.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Kryssi20
Lilian R, Executive Assistant Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear kryssi20,

At Stamford we pride ourselves on delivering service excellence and we usually receive such positive comments on the helpful and professional service provided by our team of staff. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you personally about your stay so that I may further investigate this incident and make the appropriate follow up. Your feedback will assist in maintaining the high standards that this hotel is renowned for and I would be very grateful if you have a few minutes spare to discuss your stay. Please feel free to contact me on 03 9659 1000 or fabiendewelle@spm.stamford.com.au I would be very pleased to speak with you.
Fabien Dewelle